Anyone here ever paint your own airplane?

flyguy_17

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
flyguy_17
I'm sure some of you have. Probably even some pro's on here.
My co-owner and I have tossed around the idea of stripping and repainting our 172 this upcoming winter. The paint (what's left of it) on our 66 G model is pretty rough. Just don't want to get in over our heads. I do know its a LOT of work. I have been involved with small paint repairs when I used to work at my FBO and help out the A&P in the shop. But I have limited painting experience, especially a job that big. I understand its the prep work that is the majority of the work and the better prep, the better final outcome. But at this point we cant afford to pay someone 10-20k for paint.

Then there's the question of what color/colors and scheme....
Oh, and speaking of, anyone ever done a wrap on a small single? Just as expensive as repainting? And what about the added weight/legality side of that?

The things that run through my head while on night shift :)

I'm sure some of you have. Probably even some pro's on here.
My co-owner and I have tossed around the idea of stripping and repainting our 172 this upcoming winter. The paint (what's left of it) on our 66 G model is pretty rough. Just don't want to get in over our heads. I do know its a LOT of work. I have been involved with small paint repairs when I used to work at my FBO and help out the A&P in the shop. But I have limited painting experience, especially a job that big. I understand its the prep work that is the majority of the work and the better prep, the better final outcome. But at this point we cant afford to pay someone 10-20k for paint.

Then there's the question of what color/colors and scheme....
Oh, and speaking of, anyone ever done a wrap on a small single? Just as expensive as repainting? And what about the added weight/legality side of that?

The things that run through my head while on night shift :)

There are no legal issues with a wrap. There are some arguments that you don't want to wrap over bare aluminum - it may result in trapped moisture and corrosion. Sometimes we see that in the kit airplane world when parts stay in their protective plastic wrap too long. The expense of a wrap is roughly on par with a paint job, as best I can tell.

As for painting. Do you have access to an appropriate space? You'll need to strip, acid etch, alodine, prime, and paint all of the metal, and will need to sand all of the fiberglass or plastic, then prime and paint them. Also, do you have a friendly A&P who will help you partially disassemble and reassemble the airplane for painting? Those are important considerations. Lots of hangar leases prohibit painting, BTW.

Beyond that, it is just money for supplies and equipment (I'd figure $3k for paint and other consumables, plus $1,000 for appropriate spray equipment and PPE), time, and elbow grease. You might try pulling your rudder or elevators and going through the process of painting them, using borrowed equipment. That would give you some idea of what it would take to do the whole airplane.

I painted my RV-6, but just cut a deal with a local airplane painter to paint my current project. He's going to charge me $3k plus materials to spray my current project before it is assembled. I'm to bring him properly prepped assemblies up to, but not including epoxy primer, and he'll take it from there. I believe the total will be about $6k. I figure the $3k for labor to spray primer, spray paint, then mask and shoot the trim colors is a great deal for me.

Been there did it and it's still going to cost north of $3k. It took me all summer to strip and paint a C-150. My last paint job I paid for that's how much fun it was.

Why don't you look at a vinyl wrap??
Saw a couple of REALLY cool ones, both partial and full, at Oshkosh this year.

I stripped and prepped one plane. If I had to do it again I'd charge 1,000,000. If the customer said OK I'd change my price to 2 mil.
I had a professional auto body guy do the actual shooting. (I'm an IA so disassembly-balance--reassembly etc was not an issue)

The question was about personal paint experience , EPA shut us (where I'm at) down on spraying, so we are limited to using a roller.
How does that turn out vs spray? I assume they're some quality rollers?

Yes. Henning has done it! Oh, wait....

Seriously, don't forget the control surfaces must have a weight and balance check before re-installation.

The work is in preparation.Yucky chemicals. Dust is the enemy. Each dust particle causes a blemish on the wet paint.

I started on New Year's day and finished in April. Complete strip and paint on a PA28-140, removed the control surfaces and replaced all the windows. 99% hard work, the prep is the worse part of the job, gotta clean all around those rivet heads. Painting was easy, but you probably could find someone experienced to do the painting part for not much $$.
You need a hangar to work in and an A/P - IA to sign off on the control surfaces. Make sure you are not going to have problems with the stripper/chemicals or paint disposal.

It is a LOT of work, hours to get a good job, not much money.

My AP rolled his personal C150. It was a 10 ft job.

From 10 ft, looked pretty good. Under 10ft, WTF, over.

Anyone smart enough to paint a 172, is too smart to try it.

Painting a fabric plane is one thing. A metal plane takes a great deal more skill and labor. And prep! There's a reason good painters get top dollar for a good Cessna paint job.

Back