Anyone here a helicopter pilot?

Matthew K

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Broke Engineer
I know a couple guys on here have their helicopter license and fly them for a living...does anyone have their license for personal use? Like planes, I've always been fascinated by helicopters. I have my PPL for single engine fixed wing aircraft at the moment.

I don't really have the desire to fly for a living (nothing against those that do of course, their are just other careers I want to explore). And given the cost of purchasing and maintaining helicopters, its somewhat of a dream at the moment to ever own one and fly it for personal use. However, if I ever have the income(or if I somehow win the lottery:D) to support having a personal helicopter (even just an r22/r44), I'll definitely jump on the opportunity.

I know this is mostly a fixed wing forum, but is there anyone on here with their own helicopter/anyone who rents for private use? If so, whats your experience with owning/renting?

Also, if anyone knows of any good helicopter forums, let me know. I'd be happy to swamp them with questions :p

Helicopters are a blast. I don't have my ppl in them, but I do have about 10 hours. As much as it may be heresy to admit, I enjoyed the R22 much more than the Schweizer 300 or Bell 47 I flew.

If you're interested in a cross, gyroplanes are a great in between and are much cheaper to buy/operate. Unfortunately finding a place to get training in them is much harder. If you're interested, @Vance Breese can give more info on them. He is a gyroplane CFI and has a good reputation.

Not sure if it's still any good, but I used to enjoy the Vertical Reference Forum: http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/forum/32-general-military-helicopter-discussions/
For gyroplanes, the Rotary Forum is pretty good (though it used to be better): https://www.rotaryforum.com/

I've read that they are for all practical purposes impossible to find one to rent. You'll have to buy one. Can't imaging the insurance requirements for someone with a wet rating...

I've read that they are for all practical purposes impossible to find one to rent. You'll have to buy one. Can't imaging the insurance requirements for someone with a wet rating...

Yeah pretty much what I've always heard.

Sevier County Choppers offers instruction and solo rental.

I’ve looked into getting my add-on before, but it just wasn’t something that made sense financially. I’d have to go to GKT anytime I desired to excercise my rating. Without flying rotor for a living or owning your own, getting the rating just doesn’t make sense..

Oh also, any books on them y’all recommend?

Helicopters are a blast. I don't have my ppl in them, but I do have about 10 hours. As much as it may be heresy to admit, I enjoyed the R22 much more than the Schweizer 300 or Bell 47 I flew.

If you're interested in a cross, gyroplanes are a great in between and are much cheaper to buy/operate. Unfortunately finding a place to get training in them is much harder. If you're interested, @Vance Breese can give more info on them. He is a gyroplane CFI and has a good reputation.

Not sure if it's still any good, but I used to enjoy the Vertical Reference Forum: http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/forum/32-general-military-helicopter-discussions/
For gyroplanes, the Rotary Forum is pretty good (though it used to be better): https://www.rotaryforum.com/
I think gyroplanes are interesting, but I don’t think I’ll ever own one. A big reason for me getting a helicopter would be for the capability of basically landing wherever I want to.

license for personal use
With your PP you're halfway to a PP-H

owning/renting
Don't own. Rent. Most start local instruction and rent from the same place they get their rating. Once you have 500hrs rotor you might be able to swing a rental at a different place but lately have heard need 1000hrs in some places.

good helicopter forums
Pprune-Rotorheads

any books on them
Technical:
Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (FAA)
Cyclic and Collective, More Art and Science of Flying Helicopters
Principles of Helicopter Flight
The Helicopter Pilot’s Handbook
Helicopter Aerodynamics by Ray Prouty

Life Story:
Chickenhawk
Firebirds
Dustoff
Low Level Hell

Best Movie (bar none):
Deadly Encounter

Best choppa movie bar none is Firebirds. This scene always gives me goosepimples.

Life Story:
Chickenhawk
Firebirds
Dustoff
Low Level Hell

Best Movie (bar none):
Deadly Encounter

I have Chickenhawk, probably reread it once a year, great book and hilarious at times. Dustoff was good to, had those guys at Osan Korea when I was there.

*Cough* Bush plane *Cough*
Nothing like watching a Super Cub float onto a gravel bar at the foot of the mountain, except....

1413.jpg

1413.jpg

I don't know what would be scarier here....... the landing or the zip line ride.....

I fly them just for fun. Absolutely love it. Reach Chickenhawk by Robert Mason after your intro flight and you'll die laughing. I've never seen anyone describe learning to fly a helicopter so accurately but in such a comical way.

And most places that train you in helicopters also rent them after their students finish. Otherwise, what would be the point of having the rating if you couldn't fly?

Don't give up after your intro flight though. I've had several instructors tell me of guys who fly fixed-wing for a living, egos red-lining, going in thinking they can pick it up in half the time of anyone else. And after their first lesson say, "this is stupid!", because they didn't get the hang of it right away.

Just trying to hold a hover was tough. I couldn't do it, couldn't do it, kept trying but not getting it. Then one day it was like a switch was flipped. For no reason I had it.

Helicopters are cool...but for some reason I just never felt comfortable in them. It feels weird, looks weird, etc...not natural lol. And it always seems like they are one broken part away from disaster :p

Whatever you do, don't fly a Cabri G2. You'll think about it every day and think irrational thoughts about how to acquire one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a friend that has an Enstrom. They can be had for around 100K but plan on 10-20 K a year in maintenance . I think he said it cost around 450/hr. It's a great toy for seeing the sites.

I have a friend that has an Enstrom. They can be had for around 100K but plan on 10-20 K a year in maintenance . I think he said it cost around 450/hr. It's a great toy for seeing the sites.
That maintenance cost sounds about right for what I've been reading, from my understanding for many of these heli's I should expect about the same cost for insurance per year.
I fly them just for fun. Absolutely love it. Reach Chickenhawk by Robert Mason after your intro flight and you'll die laughing. I've never seen anyone describe learning to fly a helicopter so accurately but in such a comical way.

And most places that train you in helicopters also rent them after their students finish. Otherwise, what would be the point of having the rating if you couldn't fly?

Don't give up after your intro flight though. I've had several instructors tell me of guys who fly fixed-wing for a living, egos red-lining, going in thinking they can pick it up in half the time of anyone else. And after their first lesson say, "this is stupid!", because they didn't get the hang of it right away.

Just trying to hold a hover was tough. I couldn't do it, couldn't do it, kept trying but not getting it. Then one day it was like a switch was flipped. For no reason I had it.
The biggest hurdle for me at the moment is the nearest flight school is a 4 hour drive away, and I don't know anyone with a helicopter, much less one that would let me use it for training :D. How many hours did you end up at when you got your certificate?
Whatever you do, don't fly a Cabri G2. You'll think about it every day and think irrational thoughts about how to acquire one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
:D I watch the youtuber "Pilot Yellow" they use a Cabri G2 for training. An interesting Heli for sure.

R22? Heck that’s nuthin. This Eurocopter is what is in the hangar next to mine at KSJC. If you’re gonna dream about ownership, dream big... There’s an AD on it which requires a mechanic inspect the rotor head every 15 hours, and the hot section overhaul is around $300,000 (I think, but am not sure at 1000 hours) Beautiful bird.

482452d794a3c1871c63c1966fcb0627.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R22? Heck that’s nuthin. This Eurocopter is what is in the hangar next to mine at KSJC. If you’re gonna dream about ownership, dream big... There’s an AD on it which requires a mechanic inspect the rotor head every 15 hours, and the hot section overhaul is around $300,000 (I think, but am not sure at 1000 hours) Beautiful bird.

482452d794a3c1871c63c1966fcb0627.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:eek:...I was just seeing how much loan payments alone would be for an older R44, about 4k a month. I think I'm dreaming pretty big there as it is:D

Back