Anyone have experience with L3Harris School in Florida?

Escandalo

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Escandalo
Does anyone have experience with L3Harris School in Sanford Florida?

I'm considering their accelerated pilot program. They seem quite "pro" and have a large fleet, but I'm hoping to get some actual feedback from previous students (who haven't been "incentivized") to do so.

Thanks!

OK... How big is this company? My wife's uncle worked for them as a computer guy many year ago. In 2008 I took Personal Security Detail (PSD) training from retired Green Berets and Navy Seals that worked for L3, I'm pretty sure that I just received an email from them about training a certain eastern European country on the finer details of operating the M1 Abrams against a former Warsaw Pact country. Flight training too??? If they conduct flight training as they do every other thing I have experienced with them, I say go for it.

Ok thank you! Yes I saw they have a flight school in England as well.

OK... How big is this company? My wife's uncle worked for them as a computer guy many year ago. In 2008 I took Personal Security Detail (PSD) training from retired Green Berets and Navy Seals that worked for L3, I'm pretty sure that I just received an email from them about training a certain eastern European country on the finer details of operating the M1 Abrams against a former Warsaw Pact country. Flight training too??? If they conduct flight training as they do every other thing I have experienced with them, I say go for it.
They are huge. Nationwide.

With fingers in everything...

Anything the .gov pays for.

My first thought when hearing that they had a flight school is that 90% of the students are going to be VA or GI bill of some type.

They are huge. Nationwide.

Global.

My first thought when hearing that they had a flight school is that 90% of the students are going to be VA or GI bill of some type.

Same. From their website
Cost and funding for Professional Pilot Program

Professional Pilot Program cost:

Tuition (estimated): $83,995
Financing options:

L3Harris Flight Academy offers a number of options to finance pilot training including Stratus Financial, Sallie Mae and Meritize; loans up to 100% of the cost of training.

A hair cheaper than ATP; my largest concern with L3Harris would be their track record of shutting down an LOB as soon as the decide it won’t be profitable. My guess is they see an opportunity path to contract with/operate airline cadet /pathway programs. I noticed part of their acceptance criteria is a Wonderlic score of 17 or better as a differentiator. Wonderlic is a cognitive abilities test, but 17 isn’t that high a bar as 20 is considered average and 26 is the cut line for above center mass.

Global.
Ok thanks

Same. From their website
Cost and funding for Professional Pilot Program

Professional Pilot Program cost:

Tuition (estimated): $83,995
Financing options:

L3Harris Flight Academy offers a number of options to finance pilot training including Stratus Financial, Sallie Mae and Meritize; loans up to 100% of the cost of training.

A hair cheaper than ATP; my largest concern with L3Harris would be their track record of shutting down an LOB as soon as the decide it won’t be profitable. My guess is they see an opportunity path to contract with/operate airline cadet /pathway programs. I noticed part of their acceptance criteria is a Wonderlic score of 17 or better as a differentiator. Wonderlic is a cognitive abilities test, but 17 isn’t that high a bar as 20 is considered average and 26 is the cut line for above center mass.

We had Harris radios on our MRAPS in Iraq. I had them removed.... Same company?
Sorta. Harris merged with L3 to form L3Harris back in 2019. They do a ton of stuff, mostly defense. PIlot training is a tiny portion of what they do.

Sorta. Harris merged with L3 to form L3Harris back in 2019. They do a ton of stuff, mostly defense. PIlot training is a tiny portion of what they do.
Oddly enough, pilot training was one of the earliest businesses L3 had when it was first created many decades ago.

Oddly enough, pilot training was one of the earliest businesses L3 had when it was first created many decades ago.
That's pretty generous. "L3" in any form that is recognizable as today didn't exist at all until the 90's (barely over 2 decades ago). But you're not wrong, Link (Hughes training, and many other names over the years) is obviously a pretty historic training business.

Ahh yes, the "Bucky" call sign aircraft out of KSFB. Almost as bad as the "connection" call signs from the late 90's- early 2000's out of the same airport.

L3 = ATP = any other large corporate structured 141 training organization.

Back