Anyone have experience with both Bose A20 and Lightspeed Zulu3?

Ben2k9

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
cant seem to find many good comparisons online. I already own the Bose A20 and they are great. Adding a second pair for me or pax to wear and thinking of trying Lightspeed Zulu 3 or just getting another pair of Bose. Does anyone out there with experience with both think Lightspeed Zulu3 is superior or at least equal?

Thanks

I've thought about doing this same thing. I have Bose A20s as well as Clarity Alofts (with the Bluetooth) - I should sell the Clarity Alofts, because quite frankly they kill the backside of my ears (despite them being incredibly loose fitting on me). I love the idea of them, but they just aren't comfortable after a few hours. I keep thinking I'd like to sell them and pick up a set of Zulu 3s. I've never tried the Zulu 3s, but my dad has the Zulu 2s. I think the Zulu 3s are likely every bit as good as the A20s, and for several hundred dollars cheaper. TO me it seems like a no brainer to get the Zulu 3s.

EDIT: I will likely keep the CA's - only because they are great for aerobatic flying.

I've thought about doing this same thing. I have Bose A20s as well as Clarity Alofts (with the Bluetooth) - I should sell the Clarity Alofts, because quite frankly they kill the backside of my ears (despite them being incredibly loose fitting on me). I love the idea of them, but they just aren't comfortable after a few hours. I keep thinking I'd like to sell them and pick up a set of Zulu 3s. I've never tried the Zulu 3s, but my dad has the Zulu 2s. I think the Zulu 3s are likely every bit as good as the A20s, and for several hundred dollars cheaper. TO me it seems like a no brainer to get the Zulu 3s.

EDIT: I will likely keep the CA's - only because they are great for aerobatic flying.

I recently bought the clarity alofts too but ended up returning them. I just didn’t think they reduced noise as well and the comms weren’t as clear as Bose. I gave them a good chance and wanted to like them, but just didn’t.

Last edited:
I own both of these headsets - A20 & Zulu 3's, bought them both new.

A20 is lighter and slightly better sound quality. Zulu 3 has larger ear cups and larger overall size.

Another key difference is A20 has the battery and control box mid-cable, while the Zulu 3's battery and control box is closer to them plug end. Why does this matter? I like the Zulu's battery box location better as it rest in my plane's side pocket. The Bose A20 requires the user take advantage of the integrated cable clips to remove pressure weight from the battery.

The A20 approach is better if you frequently adjust the volume on the unit or answer bluetooth calls, or adapt sound levels for entertainment. Zulu is better as it is not clipped to your shirt or shoulder harness.

In reality, personal fitment is the biggest factory and sensitivity to extra weight on you head & neck. I bought one of each so I could ensure my passenger had the most comfortable unit for them.

Also look at the PFx from Lightspeed. its the direct competitor to the A20, the Zulu 3 is a slight step down but still very good.

Last edited:
I have the zulu3 for me and do love it. I fly a 182 and can be noisy but not turbine noisy. I recently bought for my pax side a used Lightspeed Sierra and they do like them and I liked not dropping a bunch of coin

The A20 uses a central high mount coiled torsion spring to apply clamping force. The Zulu uses a leaf spring. The Zulu seems to be more comfy if you have a wide head. The A20 seems to be more comfy if you have a conehead.

The A20 uses a central high mount coiled torsion spring to apply clamping force. The Zulu uses a leaf spring. The Zulu seems to be more comfy if you have a wide head. The A20 seems to be more comfy if you have a conehead.

Uh oh. I have a wide conehead

I own a Zulu 3 and I also have about 50 hours flying with an A20.

The quality on both is exceptional. The warranty on the Zulu is something like 7 years.

I like the A20 slightly more because it feels a touch lighter and less clampy. I did not like it $350 more so I bought the Zulu 3.

The Zulu 3 just arrived and I gotta say the clampiness/head pressure may be a touch too much. May just have to send it back and stick with another Bose A20. Don’t like to have any more head pressure than necessary

Tried it out today in flight and it is definitely going back. Was getting a weird popping noise from the ANR. Enough of this...just going with another pair of Bose A20. They are fairly superior and worth the price.

They are fairly superior and worth the price.

For your head.

I've flown over a hundred hours with both, Zulu3 is fairly superior for my head - and cheaper.

There really is no better way to do this than to fly them both, as you did, and make a decision.

For your head.

I've flown over a hundred hours with both, Zulu3 is fairly superior for my head - and cheaper.

There really is no better way to do this than to fly them both, as you did, and make a decision.

Do you experience that popping in yours? Wondering if mine had a problem/defect or if there was something about the sound of my plane that the ANR couldn’t handle. Either way, regardless of the fit the popping was intolerable. I have to imagine it’s a weird one-off issue, otherwise no one would buy them.

I've had my Zulu 3 crackle and pop. I usually fly with the A20 and have the Zulu 3 for passenger. I'd like to try the Lightspeed PFX which is more head-to-head with the A20.

Do you experience that popping in yours? Wondering if mine had a problem/defect or if there was something about the sound of my plane that the ANR couldn’t handle. Either way, regardless of the fit the popping was intolerable. I have to imagine it’s a weird one-off issue, otherwise no one would buy them.

Fortunately, no.

Back