Anyone has experience with fixing TKM NAV/COM?

sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
One of my Michell TKM MX-385 radio died few days ago (during a flight).
I tried to troubleshoot it and swapped COM1 with COM2 juts to confirm that the unit is dead indeed and no other connection issue is involved.

Yesterday I called TKM company and left the message. They called me back few hours later and asked me to sent broken unit - no additional information was required. Today I packed my radio and shipped it to Scottsdale AZ.

I wonder if anyone had experience fixing broken TKM radio before. How long it usually does take on average to fix?

Thanks

I sent a com in to them last year and they called me back with a bench diagnosis within a week.

I sent the NAV indicato a couple years ago for adjusting. About 10 days from the day I put the box in the mail until it was re-installed in the airplane.

I replaced my KX-170B with the TKM slide in replacement after the unit mechanical tuners went bad. Had the TKM in for service twice in first 5 years of ownership. Lasted another year before it failed again.

My avionics shop told me that the tray could contribute to some of the problems I had. I could never trust it and eventually I had it removed.

I heard that TKM is not a good radio when I was bying a plane. What would be a good reasonable alternative?

Most of that era radios are simply not worth repairing. and repairing, and repairing.

I heard that TKM is not a good radio when I was bying a plane. What would be a good reasonable alternative?

Unfortunately, the "cheaper" alternatives like Narco have gone away. Your options today are the Garmin GTR series or the Bendix King KLX. I'm sure there are others, but probably not many.

Most of that era radios are simply not worth repairing. and repairing, and repairing.

So true... I had my KX-170B in a number of times. When it worked, it was great. It became a reliability concern.

Based on what I have read at various places, probably about 3 weeks until you have it back.

I bought a used MX12 and had them yellow tag it. I thought it was good service. I have two TKMs in my plane and haven't had any issues in over three years of ownership.

I've had a TKM MX-300 (I think) for 9 years - it was already in the plane when I bought it.

I've had two minor problems, otherwise it has been a great radio.

Once, it wouldn't turn on. I took it to an avionics shop, he opened the top, found that an internal fuse holder was loose, bent it back with a pair of pliers, closed it back up, and it has worked fine ever since.

Second, the volume knob was scratchy. Must have had some dirt in it. I happened to be traveling to Phoenix anyway, so took it along, dropped it off at the Mitchell shop, and they fixed it for a flat rate repair of $95 (in 2005). While this was expensive for a volume knob replacement, I think they also checked the rest of the radio out. And I saved on shipping and just picked it up in person a few days later, so I thought it was okay.

Both of these issues happened in the first year I owned it, and have had absolutely no issues in the past 8 years. I'd say it's been a pretty good radio.

Ok so I sent them my broken MX385 two weeks ago. According to UPS they got it last Tuesday. Since then I haven't heard from them.
I tried to e-mail and to call (left the message in the second case) them, but no joy so far. At the moment I have no idea how long will it take and how much will it cost to repair my unit. Is that pretty normal for TKM?

Ok today I finally got an email from TKM. It is kind of brief message :" Received it on 11/20" :lol:

No indication and how much or how long it will take to repair it! :mad2:

Service experiences I'm hearing is not helping them sell anything. One option was to buy another MX300 and then send the broken one out and then, in theory, we would have two working MX300's. Instead the owner is kicking around ideas for a GNS-430W, rather than investing more $ in the TKM stuff.

Service experiences I'm hearing is not helping them sell anything. One option was to buy another MX300 and then send the broken one out and then, in theory, we would have two working MX300's. Instead the owner is kicking around ideas for a GNS-430W, rather than investing more $ in the TKM stuff.

Well If I could afford I wouldn't stick with TKM much longer.

The TKM service price is reasonable and they'll upgrade it for free...and send you the instructions to do stuff you didn't know it could do.

But yeah, avionics shops hate TKM because only TKM fixes them. How is that your problem? I guess you could play along and just buy new radios to make your avionics shop happy.

Here where they(he) were the last time I need service:
Earl,
TKM Inc.
14811 N. 73rd. St.
Scottsdale AZ 85260

(800) 233-4183
(480) 991-5351

I would be happy to know ETA when my radio is going to be fixed. So far I sent four emails and got one only response.

Update ! $95 and my unit is finally fixed. Now it's up to delivery service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah not that bad just 30 days :)

Recent update on TKM repairs. Things apparently have changed "a bit" from the days of $95 flat rate repairs.

Now, they only work on radios that are 15 years old or younger, they want your S/N to confirm it falls into the repairable category.
Turnaround time is around 3 weeks, and the base repair fee is $385, plus parts required.

Thankfully my radio is less than 15yo so they will still work on it. The only other place that seems to work on these, Bevan-Rabell, said "on average" it is $550 to repair, and 4 weeks turnaround. Nothing about a 15 year limit with them.

I have a pair of TKM in the Apache - they have been in use for over 15 years - never had them serviced so I have no time lines to share.
If/When they die I will decide what to do - likely put in some kind of glass

Recent update on TKM repairs. Things apparently have changed "a bit" from the days of $95 flat rate repairs.

Now, they only work on radios that are 15 years old or younger, they want your S/N to confirm it falls into the repairable category.
Turnaround time is around 3 weeks, and the base repair fee is $385, plus parts required.

Thankfully my radio is less than 15yo so they will still work on it. The only other place that seems to work on these, Bevan-Rabell, said "on average" it is $550 to repair, and 4 weeks turnaround. Nothing about a 15 year limit with them.
New ownership in the past 3-4 years, most of the same technical staff (fortunately). It is coming out with new models. I had my 12D in 2015 - the nav side didn't work. It was back in less than 2 weeks, cost $575 total. As much as I wanted a new GTN or even an old 430, this was the cost-effective solution since I don't fly IFR, just needed a second VOR for IFR training.

Bevan-Rabell repaired a MX-300 for me. It was $450 and took right at a month. Has a 90 day warranty. (This radio is also for sale because I installed a Garmin in the meantime.)

Back