Anyone going from LA to Vegas this weekend?

mr_happyland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mr_happyland
Hey everybody,

I had to leave my plane in Las Vegas (Henderson) last night because the vacuum pump croaked. I got a rental car and drove back to LA last night. Is anybody flying from LA to Vegas this weekend and have an open seat? I'm happy to pitch in for gas. I need to get back there to fly her home.

thx!

Bryan

Going May 13 hopefully if the weather holds out

Not to be a smart alec, but a one way on SWA would fit the bill. I'd be happy to grab you at LAS and drop you at HND

I'm fully aware of my other options...but would certainly prefer a GA ride if it was an option. Thanks for the offer of the pickup.

I vote for not flying in SoCal today (sucks for the folks planning on the AOPA Fly-In at Camarillo).
42917.JPG

They often call for moderate to severe below 12K and in my experience it's usually generally smooth if you fly with enough AGL and give the mountains wide clearance. If you have to cross the mountains going east you may hit a few bumps but you have to plan that right. I get a lot of good detail from knowing the winds aloft and PIREPS. Mountain passes tend to be where most of the bumps are and I avoid if I can, even 10 knot winds have given me a couple good jolts

I will fly with an AIRMET for moderate turbulence. I will not fly if there is a SIGMET for severe turbulence. I treat that like a NOAA gale warning. As a recreational flyer, I have no need to be in the air in those potential conditions.

Just an update....I'm currently on a bus enroute to Vegas to pick up my plane. For the first time in a week, the winds are finally nice and calm in SoCal. Should be a nice flight home this afternoon.

Finally got the plane home. Interesting flight....Nellis AFB was doing GPS testing so no GPS for about half the flight. It picked up again around Hector VOR. No biggie...I just hadn't seen that before.

Back