Anyone ever washed your key fob?

Fortunately no. Found something "extra" when I took my jeans out. Sunnofa.....:mad:

Fortunately no. Found something "extra" when I took my jeans out. Sunnofa.....:mad:

As long as you wife didn’t find that “something extra”, you be aight.....

I’ve gone swimming in a lake with a Ford key fob in my pocket for a couple hours. Now a couple years later, it still works fine.

Mine is a Ford too. I opened it up, the battery side is still dry but I can't get to the button side so I left it un-assembled so it can dry out.

Mine is a Ford too. I opened it up, the battery side is still dry but I can't get to the button side so I left it un-assembled so it can dry out.
Stick it in a bag of rice for a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Phew, this is NOT what I was expecting. Glad I read through before posting . . .that could have been embarrassing.

Does it work better now that it's clean? :)

Mine has been through the wash dozens of times, not too fancy just the office fob and the one for the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Both work fine after years of hard abuse. I've also been in the saltwater at the beach with them.. no issues!

Well I'm glad you clarified that. After reading your opening post I assumed you were the only person on this forum with keyless entry on the Piper. :eek:

Didn't do any good for the one to my '96 XJR.

Hmmm, Lucas electrics. You might have had better luck with that if it was working before you ran it through the washer. :D

I washed the fob to my 2010 Challenger at least once. No immediate problem.

I've also been in the saltwater at the beach with them.. no issues!
That’s really pushing your luck!

I washed the fob to my 2010 Challenger at least once. No immediate problem.

That’s really pushing your luck!
Well... it wasn't by choice, and I have a backup car fob in my desk.. and it's a 2011 so it actually still has a physical key hole.. not the end of the world if it dies. Now my office fob, that would kinda stink..

I’ve gone swimming in a lake with a Ford key fob in my pocket for a couple hours. Now a couple years later, it still works fine.
Did that once with one of mine. It didn't hurt it, either.

Well... it wasn't by choice, and I have a backup car fob in my desk.. and it's a 2011 so it actually still has a physical key hole.. not the end of the world if it dies.
Or so you think. My 2011 F150 has a key hole, door and ignition. The key and remote/fob are one piece. You can open the door with a non-functional key/fob, but the truck WILL NOT START if your remote battery is dead or the remote isn't working -- due to, for example, having gone through the wash. Which it has a couple of times. I open it up and swish it in filtered water to wash out all the soap, then dry it for a few days. It's the same key that's been through the washer and dryer at least twice. So far it still works, most of the time.

I took our 2000 Mazda MPV fob snorkeling in the Keys once. It worked when we got back and I realized it was in my pocket the whole time. We drove home that night and I disassembled it and washed it with fresh water and let it dry. It worked for a couple of years but eventually corroded.

I’ve washed them and burned them. They seem to survive washing, but not burning.

the truck WILL NOT START if your remote battery is dead or the remote isn't working
that's interesting.. I would think if it's scanning some sort of chip to ensure it's the legit key that would be a passive RFID-esq type thing

that's interesting.. I would think if it's scanning some sort of chip to ensure it's the legit key that would be a passive RFID-esq type thing
In the pushbutton start Mazda it operates on the battery from almost anywhere in the cabin. If the battery is dead then it goes into a near-field mode where you have to hold it very close to the ignition switch.

We just got a new Honda yesterday. They told us if the battery in the FOB is dead you touch the FOB against the start button and it will start one time. There is a key inside the FOB to unlock the door but no key slot for the ignition. Why or how you can only start the car once - I am not sure.

One would hope, but no.
Pretty sure thats how the challenger worked. The key was not a traditional key. But the remote lock/unlock/keyless start part could quit working, but the put-it-in-and-turn part still worked. All without a traditional key.

I ran one over. Basically stripped all the outer covering off. Still works. BMW wants obscene money for a new one, so going to continue to "go naked" for as long as it works.

Phew, this is NOT what I was expecting. Glad I read through before posting . . .that could have been embarrassing.
Please let us know what you thought this thread was about. It will help with future thread titles being more or less obvious. POA thanks you for your assistance in this matter. :D

I ran one over. Basically stripped all the outer covering off. Still works. BMW wants obscene money for a new one, so going to continue to "go naked" for as long as it works.
Yeah, I just found out what Mercedes will charge if I need a new key for mine. Apparently, $450-plus, and no way to obtain one any other way.

In the pushbutton start Mazda it operates on the battery from almost anywhere in the cabin. If the battery is dead then it goes into a near-field mode where you have to hold it very close to the ignition switch.
Same with my wife's Nissan Rogue.

Back