Anyone else tired of being treated as a crook?[NA]

It took trips to 3 drugstores to get pseudophedrine on our vacation recently.

We first stopped at the drugstore I had frequented 20 years ago when living in Tulsa. The pharmacist told us what we needed, but since he didn't have any in small enough quantity for individuals, he sent us off to the next stop.

I asked the Wal-Mart pharmacist (yes, her pin identified her as such) who was ready to provide the product, but my driver's license was back at the motel. Hubby, who was also sneezing and coughing, had his driver's license and tried to purchase it, but was told he couldn't because I was the one who asked first and there was a possibility he would share with me. She went on to say that it was obvious that I really needed some.

At Walgreen's Hubby asked for, signed for, and id'd for a package of pseudophedrine.

This is so totally nuts.

So now it's illegal to share NON-prescription medication?

In the same store disheveled old men are buying cases of beer and bottles of booze and handing it to kids just outside the door.

It's funny how where one lives determine their impression on the rest of the country.

I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody. I can, and do at times, walk into any local merchant (food store, hardware store, barber shop, etc.) get what I want, sign the sales slip and pay it next time I go into town.

Our merchants know everybody and business is still done on a handshake.

I live in a very small town where everybody knows everybody. I can, and do at times, walk into any local merchant (food store, hardware store, barber shop, etc.) get what I want, sign the sales slip and pay it next time I go into town.

Our merchants know everybody and business is still done on a handshake.

I thought you were in Nashville??? :dunno:

But the fact is, all this hoopla and trouble is having a positive result - the plethora (!) of meth labs that used to be found all over the place is being reduced, significantly. There are a LOT fewer meth labs, with is nothing but good news! :)

But the fact is, all this hoopla and trouble is having a positive result - the plethora (!) of meth labs that used to be found all over the place is being reduced, significantly. There are a LOT fewer meth labs, with is nothing but good news! :)

This is very true. Five years ago there were a LOT more meth labs in southern Minnesota. The increased security on the required ingredients combined with the efforts of task forces have eliminated the majority.

Knowing first hand the way meth takes over peoples life's from the young to the middle aged adult I think it's a fair trade. My view is skewed though since I've seen and experienced the ways in which meth has destroyed friends and family.

This is very true. Five years ago there were a LOT more meth labs in southern Minnesota. The increased security on the required ingredients combined with the efforts of task forces have eliminated the majority.

Knowing first hand the way meth takes over peoples life's from the young to the middle aged adult I think it's a fair trade. My view is skewed though since I've seen and experienced the ways in which meth has destroyed friends and family.

I have many a former friend that will likely spend the rest of their life in rehab, some from meth, some from coke, some from crack, and I agree, stopping it is important.

The pseudoephedrine behind the counter thing hasn't reduced the amount of methhouses in Albuquerque :( At least not drastically.

The pseudoephedrine behind the counter thing hasn't reduced the amount of methhouses in Albuquerque :( At least not drastically.
It has not anywhere either. What has reduced the amount of labs is stepped up enforcement. Sudafed control works no better than gun control.

Based on this product placement..I caught a cold...I haven't been sleeping well due to the coughing. I decided to visit Walgreens to get that controlled substance and some cough medicine.

The phed-whatever is hard to find. They have a bunch of -PE stuff, which I guess it means it has none. The helpful girl in the aisle asked me what I wanted and then told me I'd have to take the card to the pharmacy.

With Grant's warning, I knew enough to avoid standing in line twice by getting the other stuff I wanted and have the pharmacist check me out with all of the stuff.

Had to present a license as ID, from which she entered my data and I had to sign the Veriphone pad. STOOPID. What about privacy?

Just doin' my bit for the war on drugs here, boss.

You know what I find funny? The most abused medicine I recall others using during my childhood is still available OTC without asking anybody.

Anyone else find it odd that Dextro Mythopine Hydrobromide is ok, but PseudoEphedrine isn't?

Hint - its found in Robotussin DM, and the kids call it "RoboFrying."

You know what I find funny? The most abused medicine I recall others using during my childhood is still available OTC without asking anybody.

Anyone else find it odd that Dextro Mythopine Hydrobromide is ok, but PseudoEphedrine isn't?

Hint - its found in Robotussin DM, and the kids call it "RoboFrying."

:goofy: THAT was the other medicine I bought. I can hear the sirens already.

As long as I'm not denied my drug of choice, I'll be happy.

Long live the makers of Tums! :D

It has not anywhere either. What has reduced the amount of labs is stepped up enforcement. Sudafed control works no better than gun control.
Um, based on what information, exactly, Scott? Last I read, you're wrong. Not saying enforcement hasn't had an effect, but ...

Um, based on what information, exactly, Scott? Last I read, you're wrong. Not saying enforcement hasn't had an effect, but ...

It was a documentary on PBS.

When the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 was approved as part of the PATRIOT ACT the requirement to put the stuff under lock and key was approved and implemented nationwide it had followed what 35 states had already done. In those 35 states there was conflicting evidence as to the effectiveness of making sudafed products harder to get because it is still easy to import the key ingredients from Mexico and Canada. NAFTA opened the borders so there is little checking to prevent the illegal importation of the ingredients and the labs continued to grow.

According to Narconon meth lab busts continue to rise. In areas of enforcement there has been a lessening of meth use.

Last edited:
Back to the original topic, I was in the store today, and the allergies have been making me a little congested lately. I guess I was aware that they now have the pseudoephedrine hydrochloride behind the counter, but this was the first time I've tried to purchase some since that went into effect. They said that I'd need to show my driver's license. I didn't like it, and told her in so many words that they were treating me like a criminal, but was willing to play along. Then she said that I'd have to pay there, rather than taking the medicine with and paying for it with the rest of my purchases. At that point, I just said thanks, but no thanks and left the stock-keeping card on the counter and walked away. I didn't have all the things yet that I was planning on purchasing, and didn't want to go through the forking out of moolah twice. Ugh.

The stores have no choice. It's the law in many states. We have to
sell that stuff out of our pharmacies where we have them and out of
the Courtesy Counter otherwise. But it's making a big dent in the
availability of ingredients for the meth cookers.

Back