Anyone else tired of being treated as a crook?[NA]

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I am posting here because I stopped looking at Spin Zone, and hope that this can stay "Hangar Talk Friendly."

I went to pump fuel today, and I didn't know how much it would hold, and I didn't want to run my credit card. There was a time when all you had to do was lift the handle on the pump and they'd authorize it, then you pay when you were done. Not today, today, there was no answer, no authorization, nothing.

I walk inside and ask why. She said "I don't want you running off without paying."

Sigh.

How about the TSA folks? I got stripped down to my skivvies because I dared to bring a tube of toothpaste with me, and put it in a pocket in my backback that the moron TSA lady couldn't find when she searched it. Obviously, I must be hiding it right? Had to get groped by a nasty old woman who was kind enough to let me keep my boxers on.

A few months ago, I was at a stoplight where I needed to pick up my pack of cigarettes off the floor of my truck. I took off my seatbelt, leaned over to grab the pack, and sat back upright in time to see a police officer walk up and ask for my driver's license and to pull over on the side of the road. The light turned green and I told him "Lemme go ahead and pull over so I don't interrupt traffic, and then we'll sort this out."

"NO, I said give me your driver's license, I'm not gonna let you drive off on me!"

When did this change?

Try shaving. Serious. When I go all scruffifed I get treated differently.

I have noticed we as a society have gotten less trusting. The only way to change that is set the example of trusting people yourself and hoping that it will rub off.

Yeah, I completely agree. But what's hilarious is the fact that I can't pump 20$ worth of gas in my Neon without either prepaying or using my debit card, but yet I can rent an aircraft for days at a time and not pay a dime until I return.

Yeah, I completely agree. But what's hilarious is the fact that I can't pump 20$ worth of gas in my Neon without either prepaying or using my debit card, but yet I can rent an aircraft for days at a time and not pay a dime until I return.

Go ask Jesse about renting a car vs airplane.

It's because there are certain people who will take advantage of others' trust. There always have been, and there always will.

The gas station has probably had people drive off and finally got tired of it.

The TSA, as much as I hate it, exists because some people smuggled box cutters onto a couple airplanes.

That cop had probably treated someone as if there were a reasonable person, and had a gun pulled on him.

It stinks, but as I get older, I find myself slipping into the same trap. It makes me sad to realize that I don't trust people. Regardless, these days, I don't trust anyone until given a reason to do so.

The TSA, as much as I hate it, exists because some people smuggled box cutters onto a couple airplanes..

I get what you mean but lets be fair. They did not smuggle those box cutters. The rules allowed for blades less than 3 inches to be hand carried. I used to have my pocket knife with me all the time and it was never a problem until after 9/11

I get what you mean but lets be fair. They did not smuggle those box cutters. The rules allowed for blades less than 3 inches to be hand carried. I used to have my pocket knife with me all the time and it was never a problem until after 9/11

You're right...but the TSA exists because of the fact that they took advantage of some leniency in a rule. And now we all pay.

You're right...but the TSA exists because of the fact that they took advantage of some leniency in a rule. And now we all pay.
I agree. The over reaction by the powers in Congress brought us the TSA. The security issue could have been dealt with cheaper and more efficiently but Congress critter like to run on a press release so now we have the TSA with their no shoes, 3 oz liquid, BS!

<snip>
I went to pump fuel today, and I didn't know how much it would hold, and I didn't want to run my credit card. There was a time when all you had to do was lift the handle on the pump and they'd authorize it, then you pay when you were done. Not today, today, there was no answer, no authorization, nothing.

I walk inside and ask why. She said "I don't want you running off without paying."

<snip>

It's not just the gas stations mandating it. In many places (including El Paso) it's now the law.

ttp://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15034465.htm

New KC law: Pay, then pump

Ordinance aims to reduce the growing number of drive-offs at gas stations.

By GLENN E. RICE
The Kansas City Star
... On Thursday, the Kansas City Council approved an ordinance that requires gas stations to make their customers prepay or be pre-approved before pumping the fuel. Such an ordinance places Kansas City among the largest municipalities in the country to require prepaying at its gas stations, said Jeff Lenard, spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores ... drive-offs from gas stations accounted for many thefts that police have to deal with. “It’s a 100 percent preventable crime, and we’re spending a lot of public resources (to combat it),” ...

Cities with similar ordinances include El Paso, Texas; Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Bowling Green, Ky.; and Twin Falls, Idaho...

Go ask Jesse about renting a car vs airplane.

Oh I know. Can't rent a car until you're 21 (unless you're military and you're renting from Enterprise...), can't get a lot of hotel rooms unless you're 21 (was even told by one hotel that I had to be 25, just had my friend I was with use her license for the room and I paid for it... guy at the front desk looked ****ed), so yeah, it sucks..

Most stations, I have to prepay. Since I drive a diesel, many stations have older pumps without credit card slots. Occasionally, there's a blind faith that diesel car drivers won't drive off. Or, maybe because I'm white. That wouldn't surprise me.

I never pay at the pump anyway so I have to go inside and have them turn the pump on and keep my card. Some stations won't even trust I'm giving them a valid card. They don't even think about asking for a DL to verify it's me.

QuikTrip started this "Pumpstart Card" for people to use. You sign up for the card and all your IDs are verified so you can pump without prepay. But, I don't care to carry another piece of plastic. It never occurred to them to tie this feature to a credit card number, also with sixteen digits, so there is no capture.

My big beef is with the courthouses I go into so often. It's gotten to the point of me joking if I can keep my underwear on. In one, I have to take my belt off. There was a time they had you take shoes off but that changed. In the US Court of Appeals, you can't have any cell phone. In USDC, no camera phone is allowed. I've told deputies they woudn't have so much of a problem if they would just "accidently" shoot someone trying to sneak in a weapon.

At Fulton County Court, they want you to take your billfold out for the X-ray as you may be carrying razor blades in there (same reason for the belt). They even question my Bluetooth headset... a tiny piece of plastic.

The TSA is a joke. They took away my mustache scissors. But, there was no issue with surgical steel tweezers... VERY sharp tweezers. :rolleyes:

My CFI instructor was telling me the TSA has so much free reign, they pretty much make up the rules as they go along. There's next to no congressional oversight.

Isn't the FAA wanting to operate this way?

We are being taught as a society to be less trusting today and it s**ks. I'm lucky because people tell me I have a "trusting face" as long as they first see me sitting down. When I'm walking I'm told that I look like I am spoiling for a fight (to many years in the military) because of the way I walk and my size.
BTW whats with the (i) in front of your normal names?

When did this change?
When did it change? It changed when people got tired of getting taken advantage of.

This may come as a shock but people from all walks of life are capable of being dishonest and that dishonesty knows no bounds.

The TSA, as much as I hate it, exists because some people smuggled box cutters onto a couple airplanes.

Actually, the TSA exists because the American public had been mollycoddled to the point that NO ONE on any of the first three planes did a damn thing to stop 4 or 5 assailants. The boxcutters were outnumbered at least 10 to 1 on each flight, and yet everyone just sat around waiting for the government to save them. 50 years ago those Arabs would have gotten their ass kicked and 9/11 would have never happened. We've been groomed to be spineless, gutless, sacks of cowardice waiting for the government to give us our next hand out.

This may come as a shock but people from all walks of life are capable of being dishonest and that dishonesty knows no bounds.
I agree. Some of the most dishonest and reprehensible people I've ever come across have worn their supposed morality as a badge of honor.

What we'll put up with:

When I got my first DirecTivo 5-6 years ago, I couldn't get it to to work. The part that was defective? The access card reader. I couldn't use it because it the thief detector system was no good. So I waited another two weeks for the box to be replaced. No apologies.

At some point the access cards were getting hacked so DirecTV sent out new cards with a complicated procedure 1) powwer cycle, 2) insert card, 3) power up, 4) wait for boot, 5) go to screen and push buttons, 6) verify card, ... So I do this on both of my Dtivos, otherwise they would stop working in a month.

BTW, Along the way DirectTV was suing people who bought smart card burners - not DirecTV smart card burners. Smart card burners. They sued people for stealing the DirecTV signal because they bought the tools used by people who stole. It's like the if Secret Service decided to arrest everybody who bought a metal lathe because gun silencers are illegal.

I bought a new receiver. Had to BUY a new access card. NO YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE THE TECH GIVE YOU A CARD. YOU MUST GIVE A CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND PAY $20 RIGHT NOW. THE CARD WILL ARRIVE IN 3-5 DAYS. YOU MUST ACTIVATE THE CARD IN 5 DAYS OR IT WILL BE INVALIDATED. THERE ARE NO REFUNDS. I'm thinking like I'm dealing with a cop and I had done something wrong. I promise to do it right. Don't yell at me. Is this the IRS?

Did I mention that I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER WHO HAS PAID FOR 7 YEARS? I never stole anything. I was only calling to give the company more business.

Now let's mention my favorite: "If you choose to enter our store and give us your money YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR VALUABLES WITH THE EX-FELON MINIMUM WAGE MORON AT THE FRONT DESK." I've walked more than once on that deal.

I AM A CUSTOMER, NOT A THIEF!

Last edited:
It's because there are certain people who will take advantage of others' trust. There always have been, and there always will.

The gas station has probably had people drive off and finally got tired of it.

That cop had probably treated someone as if there were a reasonable person, and had a gun pulled on him.

It stinks, but as I get older, I find myself slipping into the same trap. It makes me sad to realize that I don't trust people. Regardless, these days, I don't trust anyone until given a reason to do so.

I agree. The over reaction by the powers in Congress brought us the TSA. The security issue could have been dealt with cheaper and more efficiently but Congress critter like to run on a press release so now we have the TSA with their no shoes, 3 oz liquid, BS!

This would make a good million dollar question:

"On September 11 how many airline gate security crews failed to detect banned items on the hijackers?"

a) 6
b) none
c) 8
d) 4

I was absolutely shocked when I purchased a used Honda Civic (in Chicago) for my daughter, with an out of state (Texas) UNcertified personal check, and my residence is in New York. My daughter and I drove it off the lot....

-Skip

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately I have been taken advantage of several times this year and now someone has to earn my trust. You just can't take many people for their word anymore...very sad

I was absolutely shocked when I purchased a used Honda Civic (in Chicago) for my daughter, with an out of state (Texas) UNcertified personal check, and my residence is in New York. My daughter and I drove it off the lot....

-Skip

When I bought the BMW I wrote a personal check for the purchase price and drove off the lot. I thought it strange that the very same dealer was in the news several days earlier because they let a women do the same. That woman had been bouncing checks for vehicles for several years. It would take sometimes 6 months to get the cars back and then she would go get another with a rubber check. Yet these dealers kept trusting people. I guess it was rare enough that they thought inconveniencing their customers was worse than a stolen car once every few years. Kudos to the car dealers.

I AM A CUSTOMER, NOT A THIEF!
Ditto!

A few months back, I was leaving Sam's Club after a significant grocery purchase for a single guy. If you're a "member" then you know they want to see and mark your receipt as you leave.

There was a very long line and I had no desire to sit there because management put only one person at the door. So, I went around everyone and right out the door. The person marking receipts said I had to wait. I told her to have management increase the staff.

I'm out at my car loading the goods and two guys come running out. I told them exactly what I felt. Accuse me of stealing and call the cops or leave me alone. Next option, have their manager call me. I hand one a business card but never heard a word.

The funny thing is another "customer" made comments about how unreasonable I was. So, I guess they are ok with being accused of stealing or some other unethical activity by the mere act their patronage of a business.

It kind of reminds me of a common phrase from long ago... "Show me your papers!"

Ditto!

A few months back, I was leaving Sam's Club after a significant grocery purchase for a single guy. If you're a "member" then you know they want to see and mark your receipt as you leave.

There was a very long line and I had no desire to sit there because management put only one person at the door. So, I went around everyone and right out the door. The person marking receipts said I had to wait. I told her to have management increase the staff.

I'm out at my car loading the goods and two guys come running out. I told them exactly what I felt. Accuse me of stealing and call the cops or leave me alone. Next option, have their manager call me. I hand one a business card but never heard a word.

The funny thing is another "customer" made comments about how unreasonable I was. So, I guess they are ok with being accused of stealing or some other unethical activity by the mere act their patronage of a business.

It kind of reminds me of a common phrase from long ago... "Show me your papers!"

Actually, I've been there before as well, at Sam's Club. They insisted that I go inside and were flabberghasted when I told them that they were going to have to drag me back inside to get me back in that store, unless they want to have the police come and check my truck.

They never relented, but I didn't go back into the store, and the police were never called.

Costco actually has a justification sign at the exit. Something to the effect "please show you receipt to make sure you received all items and were not over charged"
What a bunch of bunk. The exit person just looks at the receipt and stipes it. I've never even seen them count items let alone validate pricing.:no:

Since I buy things from electronics at Wal-Mart from time to time, there's been more than one occasion when the little RFID alarm goes off. One time I had to wait 3 minutes because the greeter who was supposed to come check to make sure I wasn't stealing anything was too busy talking to a coworker.

Bah.

I have never run into that as I have yet to shop at a Sam's or Costco. I hate to shop, so why even bother going into a shopping club?
The Borg doesn't need to shop. They take what they want.

Now, excuse me while I run into a closing attorney's office to fill my pockets with chocolate. :D

Just hope you don't have to return anything. ;)

-Skip

That doesn't mean they didn't run a credit report and background check on you and you didn't notice. :D

Costco actually has a justification sign at the exit. Something to the effect "please show you receipt to make sure you received all items and were not over charged"
What a bunch of bunk. The exit person just looks at the receipt and stipes it. I've never even seen them count items let alone validate pricing.:no:

They do speed count items. I think the main check is that you have a receipt for the $2500 HDTV.

I've b*ed about that checkout procedure, too. Also, you have to flash a membership card to get in. Dunno the point since you couldn't buy anything without one. I guess it cuts down on looky-loos and freeloaders going to eat samples as lunch.

They do speed count items. I think the main check is that you have a receipt for the $2500 HDTV.

I've b*ed about that checkout procedure, too. Also, you have to flash a membership card to get in. Dunno the point since you couldn't buy anything without one. I guess it cuts down on looky-loos and freeloaders going to eat samples as lunch.

Speed count? You mean the person looking at my receipt is a graduate of Evelyn Woods :rofl:

Nick:

You're really onto something that bugs me. It used to be that if I couldn't fill up, then, walk in and pay as a gas station, I would just leave (if I had that option). They turned things around on us; I'm now supposed to walk in, wait in line to leave them my money, then trust them with my money until I fill up, then walk back in and STAND IN LINE to get MY change--forget it!! Of course, with a credit card it's not an issue.
I have a friend that owns a gas station in a nice part of Dallas; he shared with me how much he lost because people didn't pay and how often it occurs; it was eye opening!

As with everything, a small part of the folks are causing problems for the majority. The stupid pilot stuff that causes regulations to be made that affect all the folks that didn't need the new rules, etc. Our insurance rates increase, etc.

We waste a lot of time and resources in our society on these people.

I had an instance in a Chinese restaurant where I gave them a credit card for a small bill--under $20. They came back and wanted to see my driver's license--which I showed them. They wanted to take it and I said they could not (I was still seated in a booth). The manager came over and said they needed to make a copy of my DL for him to take my credit card. I said I would not release my DL to him; he could look at it. This was at a hotel where I was staying in lost wages. Next thing I know, hotel security shows up. They ask what's wrong and I tell them I don't know. The manager explains and security says they want my driver's license; same deal, I tell them I will not release it from my possession; they are welcome to look at it. They don't like that and I tell them they are free to call the police or talk to my attorney about it; they are not taking possession of my DL.

It got sorted out. I paid cash and wrote a scathing letter to the hotel manager about the incident. They didn't respond; I didn't return.

Best,

Dave

Since I buy things from electronics at Wal-Mart from time to time, there's been more than one occasion when the little RFID alarm goes off. One time I had to wait 3 minutes because the greeter who was supposed to come check to make sure I wasn't stealing anything was too busy talking to a coworker.

Bah.

UGH - this reminds me of the other "I'm not a crook" thing. Electronic departments put all of the video games and such behind locked cabinet doors. In order to buy a game, you have to either wait in line for someone to escort you to the case or go find someone to page a manager.

Then you're required to pay for the game before leaving the electronics area. Oh, you need to buy toilet paper? Why don't you go get the toilet paper and then pay for them here, or buy the game and then go get your toilet paper, but you're not leaving the electronics area to go to another area to buy something else without paying first.

UGH! Is Canada like this?

I am posting here because I stopped looking at Spin Zone, and hope that this can stay "Hangar Talk Friendly."

Every time I get gas I feel like a criminal by the time they let me put anything in the tank...yet they're robbing us with higher prices for low mileage ethanol sludge in place of useable fuel. I always fill up so it's a game of go pay way too much then fill up then go get the excess cash back...puppy murdering kidnappers probably get better treatment.

If you want real fun; when on the motorcycle I've noticed that a few places around won't even accept cash unless you take your helmet off before paying. (It's gov't issued currency, get over it) I don't do business with those types of criminals.

Watch the pumps carefully too: 1.5 gallon fuel can. $3.19/gallon. $5 cash should yield $0.20 in change and a full can. Nope. $5.00 and 1.11 on the meter and the can was about 2/3 full. That's just not right.

When did this change?

About 10-15 years ago. The behavior pattern just keeps getting worse.

UGH - this reminds me of the other "I'm not a crook" thing. Electronic departments put all of the video games and such behind locked cabinet doors. In order to buy a game, you have to either wait in line for someone to escort you to the case or go find someone to page a manager.

Then you're required to pay for the game before leaving the electronics area. Oh, you need to buy toilet paper? Why don't you go get the toilet paper and then pay for them here, or buy the game and then go get your toilet paper, but you're not leaving the electronics area to go to another area to buy something else without paying first.

THAT you can solve. Buy online.

Then you have to deal with "We will not ship to foreign addresses. Ship to address must be the same as billing address for the credit card. No shipments to P.O. Boxes..." That's all thanks to the crowds of shoppers in Nigeria and actually calling from INSIDE U.S. prisons. At least you don't have to elbow through them to get your order placed.

It IS the culture BTW, in that part of Nigeria the heroes are the best thieves. It's expected that you are supposed to steal. The harder it is and the more clever you have be to get around them trying the stop you the more of a hero you are... (off to Spin Zone) just like in the U.S. in the inner city and at MBA schools. :p

Back