Anyone else noticed a lot of rain?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
It was VFR here for about half a minute the other day so I grabbed a friend and flew up to Lake Texoma.

Pretty view of the lake
attachment.php

The airstrip is half covered in water
attachment.php

And the Pelican's Bay is in serious trouble
attachment.php

Also, it is raining outside.

Attachments

• cm0.jpg
    cm0.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 327
  • cm1.jpg
    cm1.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 330
  • PBFlooded.jpg
    PBFlooded.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 328
So I thought it was only California's businesses and liberals that were invading Texas apparently that is where all their water went too.

That is crazy.

There was one winter when a long flight revealed that most of my state was underwater. It was a few years ago during warm wet winter.

It got better.

Rain, sleet, hail. and Denver is now a climate buddy of Seattle.

Seattle rarely gets sleet. But this winter and spring have been especially nice and dry here. The ski areas never opened, and the State has already declared a drought emergency. Sounds like the forests are going to burn, again....

Ron Wanttaja

the rainfall in central Texas yesterday was unbelievable. all anyone has to do to confirm it is turn on national news. unfortunately I had to drive in it when American Eagle decided not to fly in it. not fun.

Global Warming; might have to get my Airplane Single Engine Sea.

I just sold a N TX lake house in Feb. Mostly because the lake level was 5-14 feet low, and my boat ramp was on dry ground, and the floating dock was sitting on the sand. I couldn't use my boat or dock for years. Then, I took an offer on the house, and we get full pool a few months later.

Oh well, I made a pile of money on it, so I guess I can now go buy another one somewhere else. At least if it floods it won't be my problem anymore.

Attached a pic of the freeway near downtown Houston this morning. So, yes.

Attachments

• 622x350 (2).jpg
    622x350 (2).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 96
I live not far from a bayou in Houston and this is how close my house came to getting flooded last night. I'm not even in the FEMA flood plain... Interestingly, it was from a rush of water flowing down my street towards the bayou and it only backed up on the "upstream" side of my house. I guess it was the classic definition of a flash flood...

Attachments

• 20150526_000233.jpg
    20150526_000233.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 102
It's been raining off and on mostly on for 3 weeks, its raining now. :(

Yup, pretty quiet on most of the Oklahoma lakes this past weekend. Most boat ramps/camp sites were closed due to the 10-18ft above pool lake levels . . . and the constant rain all Memorial Day weekend. We couldn't get to our docks because the ramps were 4-5' under water, lol. Lots of debris as well.

Bryan, well since the the new JFRYE ONE arrival has moved the Denton Airport unannounced to the far side Dallas (see attachment), perhaps the same powers have moved Seattle on top of us but haven't published the chart.

We were in a 4 to 5 year drought, so I'm happy to have that ended. But enough is enough... It's seriously affecting my business since none of my loaders can pick up cars without sinking into the muck or tearing up the "harder" ground where the caliche rock was laid several years ago.

Attachments

• 00106JFRYE.PDF
    236.3 KB · Views: 16
Global Warming; might have to get my Airplane Single Engine Sea.

Yes, this year's rains are being blamed on GW, and we are being told to expect more and worse in the coming years. Which is exactly what we were told about last year's drought. "The new normal," "Permanant Drought," etc. :eek: For as long as I've lived here, we've just called it "weather." ;) And not pretending to be able to predict what's going to happen next saves one a lot of embarrassment. :yes:

Send some of that stuff west, please. Our snow pack this year was about 45% of normal. Not looking good for crop irrigation. I suspect those folks that are at the further ends of the irrigation canals are gonna be out of water by mid July this year.

Some pretty severe WX here in CLT as well, as I am pointing out in the attached photo

e9e5698fab2ac711949d3a36d14c787d.jpg

BION, we could use some of it up here too. Though we had a good cloudburst last week, and a fair amount of rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, the last few weeks have been dry enough overall that river levels are way down and red flag warnings go up whenever forecast winds are above 20 kts or so. There was a burn ban in effect through the first 3 weeks of May.

I never dreamed up it happening, but here in West Texas we are basically still looking for our first sunny day of summer. It's overcast now, but rain is unlikely. Normally, the 10 day forecast has one day of rain chances about 20% and the rest are 0%. Pretty sure it is done just to screw with us. For the past month, we haven't had a single day of 0% chance of rain.
This is our local reservoir (JB Thomas). As of a year ago, you couldn't have found a single person in the region who thought it would ever be back above 10% percent full. If you are looking at the historical tab, note that we are at about 150k acre-ft right now. http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/j-b-thomas

From the same site that Tracket referenced, here is the info for the lakes near to 6PC and I. Just scroll to the bottom to view.

http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/municipal/dallas

Hey Bryan, remember how they're still building the new bridge for I-35 across Lake Lewisville? I bet some engineer now looks like a genius by convincing his bosses it needed to be a bit higher in elevation than the existing bridge.

From the same site that Tracket referenced, here is the info for the lakes near to 6PC and I. Just scroll to the bottom to view.

http://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/municipal/dallas

Hey Bryan, remember how they're still building the new bridge for I-35 across Lake Lewisville? I bet some engineer now looks like a genius by convincing his bosses it needed to be a bit higher in elevation than the existing bridge.

The amount of increase at Grapevine, Lewisville, and Lavon are amazing. Lavon is 7" from going over the dam spillway. Texoma has gone up over 30' since May 1st.

From the photographic evidence, I think Houston must be considering designating certain roads and freeways as canal zones.

texas-flood-02-1024.jpg

Remember the phrase, "waiting for the other shoe to drop" ??

I'm thinking it's going to be in the form of mosquitos.

Well, I'm about to get slammed again. It only rains hard on days that end in 'y'.

The front headed east is right down I 20, and I'm in the path.

The funny part? My Sheriff just got around to lowering our Stage II fire ban to a Stage I, TODAY. That would be three weeks from the weekend where eight county roads were literally washed away by water. (He's probably been busy. Haha.)

And the fact there's still a fire ban at all (oh yeah, I know. It's Colorado... he'd have to put it back in place in two weeks and he's apparently wimping out on the paperwork...) is hilarious.

I don't even care anymore. I hope it keeps raining and raining and raining.
I hope a tornado made out of lightning sucks all the water out of the gulf and dumps it here. I hope a million feet of hail pile up and melt. I hope a tornado goes back in time to the 80's and picks up all of the lawn darts and slings them all over dallas.

I will be in my closet w/ my scuba gear on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Eff It.jpg
    Eff It.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 139
From the photographic evidence, I think Houston must be considering designating certain roads and freeways as canal zones.

texas-flood-02-1024.jpg

Little sister was at a friends house watching the Spurs game when water started filling the street. They moved the cars up a sloped driveway as close to the house as possible and the water "only" made it to her back floorboards in her newish Honda, she says.

The guys with lifted pickup trucks left to go home after the game and we're back within a few minutes asking if they could crash on the floor. Haha.

Poor girl. The Spurs. Sheesh. I may have to mount a rescue mission if that's all she has to root for. :)

Remember the phrase, "waiting for the other shoe to drop" ??

I'm thinking it's going to be in the form of mosquitos.

Huge friggin' spider on my front door tonight and tons of frogs everywhere. The insect predators are happy campers right now. They look pretty fat. We will see if they can keep up.

A friend of mine lost her car and some of her house in the rain in West Houston last night. You can see where the water went up to... Tried to get over there to check on an alarm for her (she wasn't home), but didn't make it 10 minutes from my place before I was forced to turn around and jump a median to get home. This was this morning around 9 when I checked by. There's a pool normally in the back yard... But the whole yard became the pool. Flooded out the garage and ground level room, but fortunately the main living area was unaffected except the stairs up from the garage.

uploadfromtaptalk1432702590689.jpg

You guys Up in North Texas are newcomers to this rain. It's been raining like this for five months down here on the coast.

Ironically, the last two days have been stunningly gorgeous here. We FINALLY were able to paint outside, first time in a month. (And the last time I tried, we got 10" of rain that night, trashing my whole job.)

The only difference is that down here everything is sandy and flat, and all of our structures are built to withstand storm surges, so the rain floods quickly, and drains just as quickly without damage.

If I never see another drop of rain, I will be very, very happy.

^^ that's a bummer of a photo up there. And a lot of water. Still raining here tonight and it's all headed for Kansas and Nebraska. Sorry Nebraska folks. Another hour of it as the sun set tonight.

Going to be a bad summer to buy new and used cars. They'll truck all those that were underwater to northern climes after drying them out, and pretend nothing happened and put "deals you can't refuse" on the prices.

texas-flood-02-1024.jpg

Mike will be laughing all the way to the bank when a few thousand totaled vehicles are sitting in his recycling yard...:yes:....:rolleyes:

They are blaming the California drought on Chemtrail spraying, does this mean they must've quit spraying over Texas and Oklahoma these days? ;)

Out here in the "other" Texas...we've had 2.5 inches of rain so far this year. And that's a half-inch above normal.

Y'all over east are getting that much rain in one hour. Holy crap!!

Anyone building an ark yet?

Back