Anyone else noticed a lot of rain?

^^ that's a bummer of a photo up there. And a lot of water. Still raining here tonight and it's all headed for Kansas and Nebraska. Sorry Nebraska folks. Another hour of it as the sun set tonight.

Going to be a bad summer to buy new and used cars. They'll truck all those that were underwater to northern climes after drying them out, and pretend nothing happened and put "deals you can't refuse" on the prices.

I was just thinking about that. Any way to be able to track new vehicles attempted to be sold as Katrina cars? Do VIN numbers reflect original shipping intended region? I'm definitively not purchasing a new vehicle in Houston this year as I was originally planning on. Might be worth the extra drive to dry country to find a replacement vehicle.

At first I was going to crack a few jokes and brag about the great weather we have been having in Florida.

But from what I see, this is not a joking matter. Good luck to those of you living through this. I remember when we had four back-to-back hurricanes in 2004-5. Luckily nothing like that has happened since.

Wimberly saw a 35' rise in the Blanco River in under 2 hours. There's no way to defend against that. Godspeed.

Last edited:
Going to be a bad summer to buy new and used cars. They'll truck all those that were underwater to northern climes after drying them out, and pretend nothing happened and put "deals you can't refuse" on the prices.

Fortunately, much of that can be "preventable" through the NSVRP and NMVTIS systems. It likely can and will happen, but as a result of Katrina and Sandy, the quantity of occurrences is reduced. When law enforcement and consumers use these tools, it's less likely the flood vehicle will get moved out of state and sold.

http://nsvrp.org/
The National Salvage Vehicle Reporting Program (NSVRP) is a leading not‐for‐profit law enforcement support organization dedicated to reducing auto theft, title fraud and abuse, and to helping to control criminal activities related to the exportation of stolen and fraudulently obtained vehicles. NSVRP works closely with the US Department of Justice (USDOJ), the FBI, U.S. Customs and Border Protection and other parties to help further these objectives. In addition, NSVRP is recognized by USDOJ as an independent third party voluntary standards body for NMVTIS[1], the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) which was created as a result of the Anti‐Car Theft Acts of 1992 and 1996. NSVRP's board is comprised of representatives of local and national law enforcement organizations.

http://www.add123.com/jsi/nmvtis_faq
What is NMVTIS?
The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is a system that allows an electronic means to verify and exchange titling, brand, and odometer data among motor vehicle administrators, law enforcement officials, prospective purchasers and insurance carriers.

Mike will be laughing all the way to the bank when a few thousand totaled vehicles are sitting in his recycling yard...:yes:....:rolleyes:

:) I wish. I'm already packed full, and the rain has caused lots problems with trying to move them and NOT sink the forklift. In my 20 years working in the business, I've never seen our ground so soft.

Well I hadn't even considered runoff. Geez

**Critical Information for residents of the Horseshoe Bend neighborhood along the Brazos River south of Weatherford**
Parker County Fire Marshal's Office is advising mandatory evacuations are in place for the Horseshoe Bend neighborhood along the Brazos River in Parker County. All residents need to be out by 8pm tonight. There will be no public safety services available after this time. Power and Water will be turned off. The Brazos River Authority has opened 3 of the 4 flood gates at PK Lake. The Brazos rose 5 feet overnight on run off alone. There is a flooding concern for this neighborhood.

Well I hadn't even considered runoff. Geez

**Critical Information for residents of the Horseshoe Bend neighborhood along the Brazos River south of Weatherford**
Parker County Fire Marshal's Office is advising mandatory evacuations are in place for the Horseshoe Bend neighborhood along the Brazos River in Parker County. All residents need to be out by 8pm tonight. There will be no public safety services available after this time. Power and Water will be turned off. The Brazos River Authority has opened 3 of the 4 flood gates at PK Lake. The Brazos rose 5 feet overnight on run off alone. There is a flooding concern for this neighborhood.

Oh man, this is baaaaaaaad. PK is a very large impoundment(for TX anyway) and downstream of that are some of the roughest and nastiest little shacks in the area. Horseshoe bend is a notorious scab on the Brazos river, where there's a lot of low-lifes and drug users. If the flood gates stay open on PK for any length of time, Horseshoe Bend is in for some kind of misery.

One more reason is that the lake below them is kept artificially high down in Granbury, so they will have nice conditions along the banks, so Granbury lake is going to have to open their flood gates as well. This is going to flood Pecan Plantation again, including the runway there which is kind of in the flood plain of the Brazos.

If Possum Kingdom is dumping water through the flood channel everyone down stream is in for a rough time. That means they expect more rain and flooding in the next few days. Gonna be fun.

For Lake Possum Kingdom to be full enough for them to open the gates..... that's more water than Texoma is getting....

But it could be worse... at least this isn't all happening in winter... else Texas might be in it's own ice age.... remember, we're not culturely equipped to deal with the deep, deep snow like folks near the Great Lakes.

Yup, Granbury is dumping 25k cfs, but PK is only dumping 17k. They are expecting more flooding and Granbury is trying to drain down in advance of what's coming.

http://www.brazos.org/

Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn National Park didn't open as it usually does by Memorial Day due to 17' snow drifts in places and still falling as of last weekend.

Colorado will be sending even more water downstream as the temps finally start to rise and snowpack really starts to melt.

Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn National Park didn't open as it usually does by Memorial Day due to 17' snow drifts in places and still falling as of last weekend.

Colorado will be sending even more water downstream as the temps finally start to rise and snowpack really starts to melt.

Snowin here tonight...:):)

Time to plan a raft trip down the Colorado or the Arkansas! Fly into Buena Vista...

Another reason I'm glad I left Houston years ago.

Basically we just had our 10 year flood. Don't buy a home near the bayous and you'll be fine.

Several of the freeways are below ground level, those will be bayous at some point in time.

I think God is mad at Texas for something. Maybe for trying to poach businesses from California during their drought. But this isn't the SZ so I'll refrain from speculating more.
I've said this several times, but we need to build a nationwide grid of water pipelines to move water from flood areas to drought areas. They should be easy to approve because a leak will not have toxic consequences and could provide a big employment boost. Just think what Texas would pay for a way to move a few billion gallons to California, and what CA would pay to get it.

Basically we just had our 10 year flood. Don't buy a home near the bayous and you'll be fine.

Several of the freeways are below ground level, those will be bayous at some point in time.

Heh - I just opened escrow on May 19th in Katy. Great timing. We don't have any flood issues, it's a bit north of Mayde creek which got a few inches over it's bank in some places, but not high enough to get over the street. Pays to be on even a 'tiny' hill around there.

I think God is mad at Texas for something. Maybe for trying to poach businesses from California during their drought. But this isn't the SZ so I'll refrain from speculating more.
I've said this several times, but we need to build a nationwide grid of water pipelines to move water from flood areas to drought areas. They should be easy to approve because a leak will not have toxic consequences and could provide a big employment boost. Just think what Texas would pay for a way to move a few billion gallons to California, and what CA would pay to get it.

William Shatner has a gofundme site dedicated to running a pipe from the Columbia up in WA down to CA. I think he said they need 30 bil, which compared to what gov Moonbeam is spending on the high speed rail crap seems doable to me. Now, getting the water owners of the Columbia to give it up to CA might be a whole nother discussion.

William Shatner has a gofundme site dedicated to running a pipe from the Columbia up in WA down to CA. I think he said they need 30 bil, which compared to what gov Moonbeam is spending on the high speed rail crap seems doable to me. Now, getting the water owners of the Columbia to give it up to CA might be a whole nother discussion.

Unfortunately, Oregon and Washington have their own water shortages.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2015/03/how_oregons_drought_got_starte.html

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/drought/

Yup. Doubt either state would be willing to sell to CA. Not a lot of love there.

I just read a couple articles about CO river water and how badly it's been managed for decades. I knew that ag made up a large part of the water usage from the CO river, but I never thought it was over 70%, and the wastage from the ag use is many, many times what it is from all residential users. The state is starting to crack down on the ag users and make them conserve more.

Which puts pressure on places like the Salton Sea, and they are clamoring for more water, but I'm afraid they are about last in line for fresh water to desalinate the sea. Since it's ~200' below sea level, I think a canal up from the gulf makes tons of sense, but what do I know....

Sorry, but I don't think there's any love for CA if you don't live in CA. I don't know a whole lot of people who care about the water shortage in CA unless they are living there. I don't disagree that a "pipeline" is an intriguing idea, but the agriculture idustry there is the biggest problem, as is the general population. As far as I'm concerned, if they want more water, they can move where there's more water.

When I was a kid in Wisconsin, there was talk of the Great Lakes becoming the "OPEC of fresh water". We would build pipelines everywhere, and live in a tax-free heaven supplying water to thirsty states.

Then, someone invented the EPA. Now, you can't dig a drainage ditch across your own land without the permission of a bureaucrat in D.C.

Those desperately needed water pipelines could not be built today, for ANY amount of money. We will all watch California die, rather than challenge the bureaucrats authority.

Sorry, but I don't think there's any love for CA if you don't live in CA. I don't know a whole lot of people who care about the water shortage in CA unless they are living there. I don't disagree that a "pipeline" is an intriguing idea, but the agriculture idustry there is the biggest problem, as is the general population. As far as I'm concerned, if they want more water, they can move where there's more water.

I guess the other states won't miss the 13 billion dollars worth of food that we export.

http://ajed.assembly.ca.gov/sites/a...acts on California's Agricultural Economy.pdf

Personally, I don't mind having a brown lawn, now that it has become socially acceptable.

And by the way, I don't begrudge the use of my federal tax dollars for flood relief in Texas, etc.

Last edited:
When I was a kid in Wisconsin, there was talk of the Great Lakes becoming the "OPEC of fresh water". We would build pipelines everywhere, and live in a tax-free heaven supplying water to thirsty states.

Then, someone invented the EPA. Now, you can't dig a drainage ditch across your own land without the permission of a bureaucrat in D.C.

Those desperately needed water pipelines could not be built today, for ANY amount of money. We will all watch California die, rather than challenge the bureaucrats authority.

Jay, in addition to gaining permission for a ditch, I'm in one of the industries where you need permission to let it rain on your property. (TCEQ Stormwater Permit)

I guess the other states won't miss the 13 billion dollars worth of food that we export.

http://ajed.assembly.ca.gov/sites/a...acts on California's Agricultural Economy.pdf

Personally, I don't mind having a brown lawn, now that it has become socially acceptable.

And by the way, I don't begrudge the use of my federal tax dollars for flood relief in Texas, etc.

Things are not exactly as you and the ag industry paint them. Although there are huge amounts of ag grown in CA, and distributed outside the state, it's not all carrots and peas.

The major export 'crop' in CA is grapes. Namely - wine grapes, although table grapes and raisin grapes are certainly there:

"the sales value generated by California agriculture
increased by 3.2 percent between the 2011 and 2012
crop years. The State’s 80,500 farms and ranches
received a record $44.7 billion for their output, up from the
$43.3 billion received in 2011. California’s increase in
revenue was led by the grape industry followed by the cattle
sector and almond production, respectively.
Grape production generated $4.45 billion in cash receipts
in
2012, up 15 percent from the previous record high received in

2013, and 2014 were even higher grape receipts. So, making wine, and selling wine from grapes counts as an ag export. Ok.

Next, the states were not the greatest consumers of the exports. The majority of the CA ag exports went to foreign countries like Canada, and China. Nothing wrong with that, I encourage it, but frankly, most states can do without CA ag exports pretty well. I do love me some Driscoll srawberries from Oxnard/Ventura though, would miss those if the production from CA was gone. Yup.

Texas ranks lower in gross ag exports, but then again, we don't export wine grapes except maybe a token, small amount. Not much call for TX wine grapes I guess. I think most folks see CA as a rich source of ag products, but knowing a little about the water waste, it seems they can do a bit better with some hydroscaping, and other conservation methods.

Heh - I just opened escrow on May 19th in Katy. Great timing. We don't have any flood issues, it's a bit north of Mayde creek which got a few inches over it's bank in some places, but not high enough to get over the street. Pays to be on even a 'tiny' hill around there.

Welcome! So you'll be flying out of KIWS?

Every region has it's share of bad weather or other natural disasters. I have family in upstate NY, they have to deal with snow every year. A bunch of rain and flooding every few years here is okay by me.

Nothing that can't be grown elsewhere in the US. Glad you don't mind the use of those federal funds for the flooding in Texas, just like the rest don't mind the use of it for forest fires and earthquakes in CA. My comment wasn't to suggest that CA isn't deserving of support, I was just saying that rather than spend trillions on water pipelines it would be easier if CA had to live within the bounds that nature provides. Quit growing crops where it doesn't rain, and if the population in CA swells above what water they currently receive then desalinization plants better be in the plans soon.

Welcome! So you'll be flying out of KIWS?

Every region has it's share of bad weather or other natural disasters. I have family in upstate NY, they have to deal with snow every year. A bunch of rain and flooding every few years here is okay by me.

Nope, not living there full time, just investing, it's a hot market, but I'll be hopping in and out once in a while at IWS. I also like that place out west with the big canopy, so I go out there sometimes too.

Nothing that can't be grown elsewhere in the US.

True, but it takes time to make that happen. Meanwhile, will the price of agricultural products go up nationwide? :dunno:

Quit growing crops where it doesn't rain...

That would seem to rule out the practice of irrigation in all states, not just California. And no state anywhere can assume that the weather will stay the same from year to year, or from decade to decade.

...and if the population in CA swells above what water they currently receive then desalinization plants better be in the plans soon.

I agree that desalinization plants might turn out to be necessary.

From the photographic evidence, I think Houston must be considering designating certain roads and freeways as canal zones.

texas-flood-02-1024.jpg

Why would you all park your cars like that? Seems pretty stupid to me.

Things are not exactly as you and the ag industry paint them. Although there are huge amounts of ag grown in CA, and distributed outside the state, it's not all carrots and peas...

I don't know how the ag industry paints things, but you're right: some of the agricultural exports are non-food products.

...The majority of the CA ag exports went to foreign countries like Canada, and China...

Which helps the U.S. balance of payments.

...frankly, most states can do without CA ag exports pretty well...

I'm not saying they can't, but it was suggested that not many people elsewhere care about the drought in California. I was thinking that if reduced agricultural production here raises prices nationwide, they might start to care. But maybe not. :dunno:

...I think most folks see CA as a rich source of ag products, but knowing a little about the water waste, it seems they can do a bit better with some hydroscaping, and other conservation methods.

I have read that agricultural conservation agreements are in the process of being worked out.

That would seem to rule out the practice of irrigation in all states, not just California. And no state anywhere can assume that the weather will stay the same from year to year, or from decade to decade.

No kidding. It was just last year that Texas was in a major multi-year drought. Rain will come to California one of these days. Then there will be the landslides.

I can't say that I'm a fan of California politics, but it is a very large and very important part of the United States. I feel just as bad for those experiencing the drought as I do for those experience the floods.

In times like this, we all need to pull together and help each other out. I'd rather send relief money to California than Pakistan.

Back