Anyone else here into FF miles?

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
I just can't resist posting this...

Since I travel quite a bit, I'm usually always after any and all frequent flyer miles, promotions, bonuses, etc that I can get. It pays for some nice vacation and first class seats each year.

In any case, has anyone seen the Budget/Delta promotion for 5000 miles per rental?

https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/partners/partners/delta5000.html

I'm Avis PC, so I don't usually rent from Budget - but, 5k miles with just 1 day minimum is amazing. I got 25k miles in Feb just by renting from Budget instead of Avis.... :goofy:

-Felix

I am really into FF Miles, my objective is to buy enough 100LL with my world perks card that NWA never gets any ticket money when I absolutely positively must fly on a crowd killer......

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I saw this, but I hate Delta. Spit, spit, spit, spit. So... it wouldn't be worth it at the end of the day.

I am a sucker for Marriott promotions, however.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I am really into FF Miles, my objective is to buy enough 100LL with my world perks card that NWA never gets any ticket money when I absolutely positively must fly on a crowd killer......
Sounds like a good use of miles to me! :)

I saw this, but I hate Delta. Spit, spit, spit, spit. So... it wouldn't be worth it at the end of the day.

I am a sucker for Marriott promotions, however.

Cheers,

-Andrew
I don't like Delta either. I'll take their miles, though, for a FC ticket to Hawaii on something not Delta :)

Don't really go to Marriotts. Usually, it's always Starwood, and Starpoints are generally very good value and transfer to almost everyone 1:1...

-Felix

Last edited:
I'm rapidly approaching 1MM miles on Delta and rent from Budget. Maybe I can turn in my last 3 Budget receipts and snag the miles. Thanks for the heads up.

Changing gears...I cannot get a good night sleep in Marriott properties for some reason. Don't know if it's the mattress, pillow or what:dunno: I have been a diamond member with Hilton for the last 8-10 years and sleep like a baby. You can also double dip hotel points and airline mileage for each stay :cheerswine:

I'm rapidly approaching 1MM miles on Delta and rent from Budget. Maybe I can turn in my last 3 Budget receipts and snag the miles. Thanks for the heads up.

Changing gears...I cannot get a good night sleep in Marriott properties for some reason. Don't know if it's the mattress, pillow or what:dunno: I have been a diamond member with Hilton for the last 8-10 years and sleep like a baby. You can also double dip hotel points and airline mileage for each stay :cheerswine:

Funny, I think it is just what you get used to. When it comes to my bed at home, I'm pretty particular. But when I'm on the road, I can sleep most anywhere... and Marriott's "feel" right to me. I'm Platinum with them so I get all my pillows and such just right, but at the end of the day, they have all been pretty decent. It bears mentioning that 90% of my travel and work is to areas near airports or in industrial parks, where all of the hotels are equally noisy and otherwise unremarkable.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Sounds like a good use of miles to me! :)

I don't like Delta either. I'll take their miles, though, for a FC ticket to Hawaii on something not Delta :)

Don't really go to Marriotts. Usually, it's always Starwood, and Starpoints are generally very good value and transfer to almost everyone 1:1...

-Felix

I've always seen Marriott as a good value points wise. It takes about $3k in spend to get a free night at a Cat 7 joint (e.g. something midtown Manhattan, Champs-Elysess in Paris, or similar), and about $15k in spend to get a free week. (that's not entirely true, as I get a 30% bonus on all stays). But, seeing as I earn enough to get nearly 3 free weeks a year, it's worth it (to me).

I can understand Starwood. I've never been a fan of Hilton properties, though.

Cheers,

-Andrew

My FF program goes like this. Buy enuf 100LL with my World Perks card that when I absolutely positively must fly on a crowd killer, NWA doesn't get any money from me....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I've always seen Marriott as a good value points wise. It takes about $3k in spend to get a free night at a Cat 7 joint (e.g. something midtown Manhattan, Champs-Elysess in Paris, or similar), and about $15k in spend to get a free week. (that's not entirely true, as I get a 30% bonus on all stays). But, seeing as I earn enough to get nearly 3 free weeks a year, it's worth it (to me).

I can understand Starwood. I've never been a fan of Hilton properties, though.

Cheers,

-Andrew
At the end of the day, it really depends on your spending goals. I'm sure Marriott is good - don't have much experience with them. They're definitely better if you want to go to Kona or Hilo. Starwood doesn't have anything particularly nice on that island.

I just came back from a mileage run (SF-LAX-DEN-PHL). Came out to about
1.7 cents/mile, which is decent. Not nearly as good as this Budget deal, though.

I just returned my rental car and it does say 5050 miles earned on the receipt! Quite nice for $18.

-Felix

Even when I traveled a lot on business, I could not bring myself to change my schedule by even ten minutes to get miles on a particular airline; I have always flown whatever carrier got me there and back most easily. When I lived in California, I probably had miles on (let's see)...

...PSA
Air Cal
Republic
Northwest
AA
Continental
Braniff (II)
TWA
America West
Frontier (I)
Muse Air (or were they TranStar by then?)
Southwest
Delta
Western
USAir

Never managed to ever fly on PanAm.
And only had UAL miles because I opened an account to give a friend referral bonus miles.

Only airline that ever actually gave me anything free was Southwest. I got magazine scrips from AA, and tons of free upgrades to First on Delta and Continental.

Two accounts that pick up my miles. Alaska's and United's. Between the two of them I can cover just about any airline I might fly. And, boy do I have miles in my United account! 431,000 plus. Not sure why I buy tickets for personal travel. Oh yeah, United has a deal where for 200,000 miles you can get a round the world ticket with as many stops as you want as long as you keep going in the same general direction, and my wife has made noises about doing that on my sabbatical next summer (2009). We'll see...

Last edited:
Two accounts that pick up my miles. Alaska's and United's. Between the two of them I can cover just about any airline I might fly. And, boy do I have miles in my United account! 431,000 plus. Not sure why I buy tickets for personal travel. Oh yeah, United has a deal where for 200,000 miles you can get a round the world ticket with as many stops as you want as long as you keep going in the same general direction, and my wife has made noises about doing that on my sabbatical next summer (2009). We'll see...

Now that is a use of FF miles if I ever saw one. Sounds like a blast Ghery, if you do decide to do it.

I have a RTW trip for work coming up, looking like Cork, Ireland; Warsaw, Poland; Prague, Czech Republic; Moscow, Russia; Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai/Chandigarh, India; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Wuxi, China; and Manilla/Cebu, Philippines. Spread over 25 days :( I wish it was spread over a year... but, beggars can't be choosers.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Between Star Alliance airlines and a few others, from my last job I had about 500,000 miles (and most were real miles). But I now find I am down to barely 50,000. Been getting tickets for family and friends all over the place... (well, it's not like I was using them...)

But I have been flying the heck out of Southwest lately, and their '1 free for every 8 legs' is a decent deal.

I read somewhere recently that there are something like 3 BILLION unused miles floating around out there.... If they were to all be cashed in, it would bankrupt almost every airline in the world.... this must be why the number of miles to get tickets is rising, there are less available tickets on any given flight, and miles are falling off accounts for non-use much faster than before...

I have 100K miles (all actual miles, and mostly vacation miles at that) on United. I guess I better start spending them instead of just buying plane tickets!

Ghery, Andrew - RTW sounds fun. (more so for vacation than work though).

But I have been flying the heck out of Southwest lately, and their '1 free for every 8 legs' is a decent deal.

It's one free for every 16 legs, 8 round trips.

I'm a FF addict, too, though most of 'em come from work flying. I racked up a lot last year commuting SAT->WAS/BWI->SAT.

2.5+ million lifetime qualifying miles on a variety of airlines, most of 'em on DL and/or it's partners, but I've also got a lot on AA.

I'm also on FT.

Back