Anyone else get shafted by Garmin?

texasag93

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
texasag93
So, the day that it is time to update our GTN750, Garmin decides to take their website down for maintenance.

The updates are due today. Everyone who uses Garmin for their databases.

Our subscription database only allows us to download them 1 day before.

I do not like Garmin, their product are fine, but they look at customers as something to screw. :mad2:

BAD: Multiple times a year, Garmin claims my subscriptions are invalid.
GOOD: When I call them the problem gets fixed.

So, the day that it is time to update our GTN750, Garmin decides to take their website down for maintenance.

I do not like Garmin, their product are fine, but they look at customers as something to screw. :mad2:

I received an email saying updates were available late last week I think. I updated the card but have not loaded yet.

I updated mine a couple days ago.:D I've never had a problem with Garmin updates in the last 3 years, other than forgetting which software version I had for the terrain updates.:rolleyes2: That's more of an owner issue than Garmin. :D

Everyone is getting shafted by Garmin :D

Just curious....what are you updating in the 750?

I am still using a 430 and I update through Jepp. Never had an issue.

I downloaded on Wednesday and updated Thursday before my flight. But I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if you didn't update it on time, on long trips I let mine expire since I don't have the computer with me.

garmin is the ass of private aviation .as they partnered with the biggest whores jepps and made 25k of my gps equipment useless my haltered for them is unmemorable

Feel shafted on EVERY product that I putchased from Garmin.
4 gps units ( 3 portable and 1 panel) . They dropped support on every one of them in a short cycle!
The collaboration with Jepp makes me feel gang raped whenever i need an update.
As most of you pointed out ,great product, lousy customer loyalty.

That's weird. I have a Garmin GTN-750 subscription and it alerts and allows me to download the new version at least a week in advance, perhaps more. I also have the database subscription for the Garmin Pilot app on my two portable tablets and that alerts and allows me to download even earlier than the panel. Once downloaded, the panel version just sits on the SD card allowing me to download it before any flight, so I just click on the new one once at or past the due date. The portable version actually downloads to the tablet and saves both new and old versions simultaneously, switching over (destroying the old one) automatically on the due date. There have been a couple of minor glitches over the more than two years that I have had this arrangement, but on the whole it's been fairly reliable.

I've been shafted by Garmin but only their service departments.

I still get my updates from Jepp. Once in a while it hoses up but a call to Jepp gets another update authorized and things go on.

That's weird. I have a Garmin GTN-750 subscription and it alerts and allows me to download the new version at least a week in advance, perhaps more. I also have the database subscription for the Garmin Pilot app on my two portable tablets and that alerts and allows me to download even earlier than the panel. Once downloaded, the panel version just sits on the SD card allowing me to download it before any flight, so I just click on the new one once at or past the due date. The portable version actually downloads to the tablet and saves both new and old versions simultaneously, switching over (destroying the old one) automatically on the due date. There have been a couple of minor glitches over the more than two years that I have had this arrangement, but on the whole it's been fairly reliable.

:yes:

:yes:

Just curious....what are you updating in the 750?

I am still using a 430 and I update through Jepp. Never had an issue.

That.

Updating the terrain is somewhat not needed, mountains don't really move and with the nature of antennas and such I really don't trust my box to depict all of them anyway

I've only updated my nav data via Jepp, same at work, we only update nav data.

I'd just take that money and save it, or put it towards your nav subscription.

ah
so!!!!!!!!

Here, I've been having problems with my tablet of late. Yesterday, I was trying to do an upload from the Garmin site and kept getting the caveat that the tablet couldn't upload the data.
I figured that I was under coercion to expedite replacement of my tablet!
So, this thread appears and I decide to try the upload again!

Worked like a charm.
Thanks for appropriate threads at appropriate times!
:)

Maybe the world isn't going into that dreaded handbasket so soon afterall

From the other side of the fence, be glad you don't have an Avidyne. The plane I fly has had issues from day with the IFD 540 from initial install 4 months ago and now the unit is going back to the factory for who knows what.

They should be careful. I doubt they're going to sell too many automotive GPS units, that ship has sailed. Probably lots of folks buying them for boats, but we're still a good sized part of their business. Best way to loose customers is pi$$ them off.

They should be careful. I doubt they're going to sell too many automotive GPS units, that ship has sailed. Probably lots of folks buying them for boats, but we're still a good sized part of their business. Best way to loose customers is pi$$ them off.

Unfortunately, that's not true. They are a highly diversified in the mobile GNSS market. Cars, yeah, going down, but they play in the truck markets and all that tracking. They play in the sports markets and everything that comes with that. They're huge in the marine market. Of course, they're the biggest in aviation as well. They are also an OEM! So, you'll find their work in stuff branded by others.

Even without cars, we're small.

And even worse? The other manufacturers are also complete crap. Ever try working with King lately? Avidyne is having teething trouble. And...that's everyone in the piston certified market. I don't see any of us going with a Rockwell Collins Proline!

So we're going to go back. We have no choice, really. :(

Several new commuter category and transport category aircraft now offer Garmin suites. So they also complete with Rockwell Collins, Honeywell and Universal Avionics.

Honeywell owns the Bendix / King brands and has for a while now.

Boats are going by the wayside too. I have a $20 iPhone app that's essentially the nautical FOREFLIGHT. I have the entire US of nautical navigation charts.

Boats are going by the wayside too. I have a $20 iPhone app that's essentially the nautical FOREFLIGHT. I have the entire US of nautical navigation charts.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Remember, the only reason we NEED Garmin anything is the FAA. Take away certification and there's all sorts of things we can use.

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Remember, the only reason we NEED Garmin anything is the FAA. Take away certification and there's all sorts of things we can use.

That market is being well served by Garmin too. :lol:

I get mine through Jepp but back when I got them through Garmin and had a problem I called customer support and they fixed my issue quickly. :dunno:

From the other side of the fence, be glad you don't have an Avidyne. The plane I fly has had issues from day with the IFD 540 from initial install 4 months ago and now the unit is going back to the factory for who knows what.

Yours may be an anomaly. I fly two planes with IFD540s and with the exception of one AD last summer, they have been flawless. The Avidyne interface is lightyears ahead of anything Garmin has; completely intuitive.

Yours may be an anomaly. I fly two planes with IFD540s and with the exception of one AD last summer, they have been flawless. The Avidyne interface is lightyears ahead of anything Garmin has; completely intuitive.

This is good to hear. I'm really trying to avoid Garmin in my panel. I see no good reason to feed the beast. Been watching some other early adopters of Avidyne stuff here also, just to see how it's going for them.

Back