Anyone do the Supplemental Inspections?

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I came across the Cessna 172 Supplemental Inspection Program when rifling through some old documents. Looks kinda like a car maintenance program, e.g. Every 4000 hours do XYZ, every 36 months do XYZ.

Does anyone do these inspections? I saw online that there is very hostile view of these inspections in Australia. They seem reasonable to me for aircraft that are getting up in age. Yeah some seem very very invasive like the Doorpost Inspection which requires the floor panels to be drilled out and replaced just to do the inspection.

Does anyone do these inspections? I saw online that there is very hostile view of these inspections in Australia.
FYI: the reason the SIDs are viewed so bad Down Under is that the CASA made the inspections mandatory for all Aussie registered aircraft regardless of operation. They are still voluntary here for Part 91 aircraft, but become required when moving into Part 135 ops depending on the maintenance program used. Some of the SIDs are simple and some are quite complex and in depth, i.e., expensive. While I would always recommend that the SIDs be reviewed at a minimum for Part 91, you'll find a larger group of owners prefer to stick to the basics when it comes to maintenance, like 20 minute Annuals.;)

I think some parts of the SID make sense for lots of airplanes. Not all parts make sense for all airplanes.

FYI: the reason the SIDs are viewed so bad Down Under is that the CASA made the inspections mandatory for all Aussie registered aircraft regardless of operation. They are still voluntary here for Part 91 aircraft, but become required when moving into Part 135 ops depending on the maintenance program used. Some of the SIDs are simple and some are quite complex and in depth, i.e., expensive. While I would always recommend that the SIDs be reviewed at a minimum for Part 91, you'll find a larger group of owners prefer to stick to the basics when it comes to maintenance, like 20 minute Annuals.;)

I think some parts of the SID make sense for lots of airplanes. Not all parts make sense for all airplanes.

Any easy way to make heads or tails of the SIDs? It seems to be no logical order to the listing and no helpful matrix. Also which ones are reasonable and necessary vs ones meant to just waste time and effort.

My guess is I’ll have to sit down and make one with excel.

SIDS not required for 135.
Depends on the mx program you select. If you use an AAIP you might be able to slide by with minimal SID compliance. However, if you pick the "manufacturer's recommended maintenance programs" from "(a)" in your posted link, all the SIDs are part of that OEM program to include ASBs/SBs in some cases.

Any easy way to make heads or tails of the SIDs?
None that I found, but this is dated info. I believe all the SIDs have their own support website now. I just would read through them with the owner and we would decide which areas to informally review during inspections.

Sign up for an account at Cessna Support and you can download the SIDs and revisions for free. I keep the ones that apply to my 180 on my desktop. You'll find most of the inspections are conditional for hours in service, calendar years, regional exposure, etc. It's interesting reading.

Without a AAIP, 135 only requires the use of the manufacturer’s maintenance program for the engine, propeller, and emergency equipment.

for each aircraft engine, propeller, rotor, and each item of emergency equipment required by this chapter.

135 only requires the use of the manufacturer’s maintenance program for the engine, propeller, and emergency equipment.
I guess you missed the point of my 2 previous posts.

A number of years ago, Cessna revised their manufacturer’s maintenance programs to include all the applicable Supplemental Inspection Documents (SIDs) and Corrosion Prevention and Control Program (CPCPs) inspections. Most of these SID revisions replaced the previous Continued Airworthiness Program (CAP) inspections, but not all CAP inspections. Subsequently, these revisions made the SIDs and CPCPs part of the official Cessna manufacturer’s maintenance program. So if you want to operate Part 135 today with most Cessna aircraft, and select a manufacturer’s maintenance program per 135.421, that maintenance program now includes SIDs and CPCPs.

In case you haven't reviewed a Cessna service manual lately here are 2 revision examples from 2011:
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=37390
https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=37409

FYI: In the case of new Cessna 210s, Cessna added several SIDs to that model's Airworthiness Limitations Section (ALS) which makes those specific SIDs mandatory for all new 210s whether they operate 135 or 91 per 43.16.;)

The rule says “aircraft engine”, not the entire aircraft.

The rule says “aircraft engine”, not the entire aircraft.

You are missing (b)

(b) For the purpose of this section, a manufacturer's maintenance program is one which is contained in the maintenance manual or maintenance instructions set forth by the manufacturer as required by this chapter for the aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, rotor or item of emergency equipment.

(b) is a informational paragraph. (a) establishes which parts of the aircraft are required to be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions...

(b) is a informational paragraph. (a) establishes which parts of the aircraft are required to be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions...

And the informational paragraph tells the specifics to paragraph (a).

OPSPEC/MSPEC D101—ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS—AIRCRAFT ENGINE, PROPELLER, AND PROPELLER CONTROL (GOVERNOR).
image001.png

A. OpSpec/MSpec D101 Authorization. This OpSpec/MSpec applies to all certificate holders and program managers who maintain aircraft under 14 CFR part 91, § 91.1109 and part 135, § 135.411(a)(1).

2-512 ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS.
A. Additional Requirements. Each certificate holder maintaining its aircraft under §135.411(a)(1) must also comply with the additional maintenance requirements of § 135.421. Section 135.421 states that each certificate holder who operates an aircraft TC’d for a passenger seating configuration (excluding any pilot seat) of nine seats or less, must comply with the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance programs or a program approved by the Administrator for each aircraft engine, propeller, rotor, and each item of emergency equipment required by the regulations. It is important to note that the requirements are not just limited to inspections; they must include all requirements, such as cleaning, inspecting, adjusting, testing, and lubricating.

... you'll find a larger group of owners prefer to stick to the basics when it comes to maintenance, like 20 minute Annuals.;)

Standards are slipping. That's twice as long as it should take. Clearly pencil whipping skills are in decline what with all the computers these days...

(b) is a informational paragraph.
Informational or not it's still regulatory and defines (a). But still don't quite follow your point.

Regardless my point is that SIDs are now part of most Cessna maintenance programs. Full stop. And considering a Part 135 ops requires the use of a maintenance program vs an inspection program as in Part 91 ops, the OEM recommendations still come into play for the airframe as well. Even if you use the provisions in 91.409(a) & (b) or (d) for a 135 9 pax or less small aircraft. Plenty of guidance on this as well.

Did any of you address the OP's curiosity about the application of SID to a privately operated 172? Do you use the SID for your own private airplanes?

Back