Anyone buying a Rivian?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by FPK1, Mar 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    I literally saw a Rivian/Amazon electric delivery van on my walk around town on Monday. They're starting.

2. NoBShere

NoBShere Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    NoBShere
    Warning, sarcasm ahead, snowflakes may be offended. I have mentioned in at least one other thread, that i have an EV. An EV would not be my only car but, it is great car for us to have for a daily driver. Its a grocery getter, Kia Niro. You can definitely tell it is an adaptation of an ICE rather than designed/built from the ground up. One thing about this thread that really cracks me up is the reactions that a poster gets when asking about how much plane to buy results in responses that involve buying a plane for the normal mission not the once a year mission. However, when it comes to cars, every car needs to be capable of navigating the apocalypse while pulling a boat, travel trailer and toy hauler at the same time.

My experience with my grocery getter EV, I get well over 200 miles per charge. I can drive over 170 miles starting at sea level and ending around 5500 feet at my cabin with at least 30 miles to spare (regenerative braking helps) about 8 to 9 months out of the year mostly due to not wanting to drive it in the snow. Yes, turning on the heat does decrease mileage but, has yet to impact my daily driving needs and i commute about 70 miles per day while only charging every other day. Installing a level 2 charger (plug in so I can take it with me) was easy at both my primary home and cabin. I think it cost me around $700 for charger and materials (plus my labor). I did it myself well over a year ago and I haven't burned down the house, collapsed the power grid, etc, etc. The EV has been wet, accidentally drove through a puddle that was damn close to the bottom of the door last week (please don't tell my wife and I don't want to do it again). I have even plugged it in and unplugged during a rain storm (and lived to tell about it or maybe I'm one of Elon's twitter bots). It is the fastest car I have owned, the acceleration is amazing for merging onto freeways. I have also not driven off the edge of flat earth in my EV yet, because I read on another website that the earth was flat so that must be true.

An EV will not be my only car for sometime because I need a real car to navigate the apocalypse while towing my boat, travel trailer and toy hauler, at the same time while driving across the country. Another downside is the lack of feedback at speed, no vibration or noise when doing 90 (i mean 55). Seriously, i won't be getting rid of ICE subie (or something similar) for quite sometime because I need a snow worthy car for snowboarding trips as well as the random long road trip. I will also likely have an EV for a very long time.

3. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Exactly. The EV doesn't need to replace every potential use-case. A 2-car family can have an ICE capable of long trips/towing as well as an EV for sub-200 mile round trip runs. They each have a place. My only two complaints about EVs at the moment are 1) the price premium for being an early adopter, and 2) the fact that 99% of the EVs currently in production just have no "soul" about them from a design standpoint. Both of those will change over the next decade, but a Tesla is a completely boring car from any angle, even if the straight-line acceleration can be fantastic when properly-optioned. When they start giving the EVs a bit of attitude and personality, I'll take a closer look, but I don't want my interior to look like the inside of an Apple iStore, nor do I want the exterior to look like a 90's Honda Accord.

4. NoBShere

Display name:
    NoBShere
    So you are with me on the remake of the dodge cab over as an EV?
    upload_2023-1-18_10-54-1.jpeg

5. FastEddieB

FastEddieB Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Fast Eddie B
    No idea what this is - it’s sitting in a field with other abandoned trucks along a road I frequent:

[​IMG]

NoBShere likes this.
  6. SoonerAviator

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Well, I like the nostalgia/attitude part of it but the current Stellantis Dodge would probably manage to make it unreliable and I wouldn't want to be in a front-end collision in one, lol.

NoBShere likes this.
  7. chartbundle

chartbundle Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display name:
    chartbundle
    NoBShere likes this.
  8. NoBShere

Display name:
    NoBShere
    tjfelles likes this.
  9. 172andyou

172andyou Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    172 Guy
    I must not understand? I've never argued otherwise. What I've said is that his rules have reduced his revenue by 40% and, among other actions, put the company itself in danger of bankruptcy. It is indeed his company and if he decides to burn it down in a dumpster fire, it's his right to do so. And it's my right to be amused while watching it happen.

10. Larry in TN

Larry in TN En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    I am completely against government mandates. Let the market decide.

Marketing is marketing. Tesla has never advertised and I haven't paid all that much attention to how other EVs have been marketed.

My Tesla replaced a 2002 Jetta TDI 5-speed, so I know what you're talking about there. (I kept the Jetta long enough to ensure that both of my kids learned to drive a stick shift) I haven't missed it since it's been gone, though (especially with the current ridiculous diesels prices)

I see you're in the CHA area. If you ever make it up to Nashville, look me up. We'll go for a drive and I'll show you more about what an EV can do. They don't have a stick shift, or loud V8, but they have other attributes that any car person will appreciate and enjoy. If you fly up, I'll pick you up and buy lunch. M54 is pretty convenient for me.

The Amazon van delivering in my area is now the Rivian more often than the ICE van. I have been surprised at how quickly they have become so common.

It looks like there's no "engine compartment", but look where the driver sits. There's still a significant amount of structure there to provide the crashworthiness.

SkyChaser likes this.
  11. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    Markets aren't effective at pricing externalities like pollution, so don't work for things like EVs where the cost of an ICE has a bunch of costs to the community that aren't reflected in the ownership cost of the vehicle but do, nonetheless, exist.

12. SoonerAviator

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Lol, and there it is. Let me know how well the EV market is at pricing in the pollution that gets generated at the power plant or landfill. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Market manipulation by government forces is what ruins the free market.

SkyChaser likes this.
  13. azblackbird

azblackbird Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    azblackbird
    I'll even triple down. Most academics don't have a clue on the ramifications of the policies they set, nor do they even have a clue on the implementation of those same policies. All they know is that it looks good on paper, and that it "feels good" to their followers and constituents. Case in point...the absurd green energy policies they're forcing down our throats all without even having a clue, or at the very least having an "intelligent conversation" of what the realities are behind those policies.

Thank you for proving my point... :mad2:

JOhnH likes this.
  14. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    Actually, governments have interfered and created the current markets and current market leaders. US military might has been used to protect O&G trade since WW1. US military might started to protect commerce with the Barbary pirates.... O&G gets subsidized rates for royalties on federal land (until recently, BLM charged about 50% less than average market rate for private royalty agreements to extract O&G, huge screams from the companies when admin looked to start charging market rates). Cars exist today for a road system, that was built for the military. Our rail roads were built by private companies funded by the government...

The list goes on. Government has picked winners/losers and created markets for thousands of years.

Tim

172andyou likes this.
  15. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    You are forgetting to mention a couple things. 1) that even if burning fossil fuels, power plants charging EVs have double or triple the MPG as ICEs. 2) EVs can be charged with solar, wind and nuclear, which are tremendously less harmful than burning fossil fuels.

What you call manipulation, I call needed oversight. The free market is what demands government oversight. Time and time again, unfettered markets have been willing to literally kill people in pursuit of profit. Often not even maliciously.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  16. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    No point in trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who would make statements like that. I can only suggest you hang around with more academics, it can be quite an education.

17. IK04

IK04 En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    I concur wholeheartedly. That too, has been my observation. Follow the money.

I hang out with intellectuals and idiots and everyone in between. Academics are the worst.

tjfelles likes this.
  18. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    I've worked in academia, government and the commercial world in approximately equal amounts. People are the same everywhere. There are good and bad people in all of them. There are smart and dumb people in all of them. There are greedy and altruistic people in all of them.

Most importantly, none of them are a solution by themselves and painting any of them as being entirely wrong or a stand alone solution is a sign of someone making an argument they haven't thought much about. We need academics, CEOs, line workers, OSHA inspectors and everyone in between. To say otherwise is incredibly naive.

NoBShere and AKiss20 like this.
  19. IK04

IK04 En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    LNXGUY
    FTFY

20. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    "To say otherwise is incredibly naive." :)

21. azblackbird

azblackbird Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    azblackbird
    Ohh believe me I have. I ask them simple questions like why is CO2 so bad? Why is fracking so bad? If fossil fuels are to be banned, then how to we mine and extract the required elements to manufacture the wind turbines, solar panels, and the EV's? Naturally they have no answers and deflect the questions. I'd be better served conversing with a pile of bricks.

Thanks once again for proving my point. :thumbsup:

tjfelles and 172andyou like this.
  22. 172andyou

Display name:
    172 Guy
    But you know the answers to those questions, right? None of those are difficult to answer.

23. NoBShere

Display name:
    NoBShere
    I'm going to regret asking this but, can't pass up a good dumpster fire. So how are we defining " an academic" in the context of this discussion. I mean discussion in the loosest sense of the term.

mike1980 and 172andyou like this.
  24. tspear

tspear En-Route

Display name:
    Timothy
    Ah, but everyone is an expert. So no need to listen to those who spent thousands of hours learning a specific subject.
    There is a really good about this issue called "The Death of Expertise".

Tim

172andyou likes this.
  25. RyanB

RyanB Super Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ryan
    Locked for MC review.

IK04 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.