Anyone a Franchisee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing when he says the government, we are talking matching social security taxes, medicare tax, income taxes, required unemployment insurance, etc. A better accountant isn't going to help eliminate those.

I'm guessing when he says the government, we are talking matching social security taxes, medicare tax, income taxes, required unemployment insurance, etc. A better accountant isn't going to help eliminate those.

Those, plus (in my industry) usurious hotel/motel taxes.

The average American has no idea how much taxes every business pays.

It's not just small businesses that pay taxes. Mine from 2016:

Fed Withholding 18.9 %
Fed Medicare 1.6%
Fed OASDI/EE 6.9%
State withholding 4.3%

Total: 31.7 %

And on top of it, even with zero deductions, I still had to pay another chunk of change (4 figures) to the IRS. This doesn't include the 8.5% sales tax on almost everything, state fuel tax on the car and avgas. Taking everything into account, the IRS and the state end up getting 50% of my paycheck and both complain they don't have enough.

It's not just small businesses that pay taxes. Mine from 2016:

Fed Withholding 18.9 %
Fed Medicare 1.6%
Fed OASDI/EE 6.9%
State withholding 4.3%

Total: 31.7 %

And on top of it, even with zero deductions, I still had to pay another chunk of change (4 figures) to the IRS. This doesn't include the 8.5% sales tax on almost everything, state fuel tax on the car and avgas. Taking everything into account, the IRS and the state end up getting 50% of my paycheck and both complain they don't have enough.

Hotels pay various state and local occupancy taxes and tourism surcharges before the owner even has the privilege of paying all the other taxes you listed on his personal income.

The other day someone asked me 'do you work for the government?' and I told her 'mostly'.

Hotels pay various state and local occupancy taxes and tourism surcharges before the owner even has the privilege of paying all the other taxes you listed on his personal income.

The other day someone asked me 'do you work for the government?' and I told her 'mostly'.

Jay, do you mean the taxes Weilke mentioned? As far as I'm concerned, I pay them when I stay at a hotel/motel. They are usually broken out on my bill as separate line items for each day. Easy money for the municipality since transients don't vote so there no repercussions politically.

High taxes on hotels & restaurants is how states with a large tourism industry get away with not having a state income tax.

High taxes on hotels & restaurants is how states with a large tourism industry get away with not having a state income tax.
Yep, taxation without representation. Take a look at car rental charges, esp if you pick it up at an airport.

Except New Mexico. High taxes AND state income tax.

Down there it's nearly a perfect circle.

Gotta pay for Sandia National and White Sands somehow ... and the GPS indoor playground.

And then the paychecks come, and it all goes around in big circle with more loans tacked on each time through the merry go round.

LOL.

(Same here with all the spooks south and west of my little home on the prairie here, so whatever...)

I think you're thinking I am considering becoming a "sor" with the salvage yard. That's not the case.

I am exploring an exit strategy from the yard and want to shift to something else. Especially something that already fits skills and knowledge of both myself and my current team.

I worked on a case once against a guy that had made a fortune in the salvage yard business. He sold out, and was employed by the company he sold to and was paid a ton to go around the country to set up salvage yards. It was a personal injury claim, and the guy could legitimately blackboard a huge loss of income claim. Interesting aside, his son was an IndyCar racer. At trial, I met his son, who testified on his father's behalf. Nice guy. That was before he had a devastating racing accident.

I think the moral of the story is that you can do quite well as a franchisee, but you have to pick the "right" franchise and operate multiple units.

Also, I'd guess that many first time franchisees have never been responsible for managing a business. People with no biz experience need to be good delegators otherwise they end up working 100 hrs/wk.

He sold out
Sold out to Greenleaf, LKQ, Schnitzer, or Pull-a-Part?
but you have to pick the "right" franchise
I agree with this. The expo I attended last week was well attended by "zor's" pitching their opportunities. I would guess 2/3's were food. That is one sector that would not be the right fit for me.

What has made the cut so far are automotive service related. Something I already have experience in.

Now who wants to be part of the GoFundme campaign to raise the money for that fee?

I couldn't tell you now. It was several years ago, and the company he sold to wasn't really that relevant to the matter at hand. I just remember being stunned by how much they paid this guy.

Jay, do you mean the taxes Weilke mentioned? As far as I'm concerned, I pay them when I stay at a hotel/motel. They are usually broken out on my bill as separate line items for each day. Easy money for the municipality since transients don't vote so there no repercussions politically.
Yep, those taxes, plus many more.

Hotel/motel taxes, like sales tax, are paid by the business owner. The bureaucrats hide behind the truth, by saying "Oh, YOU'RE not paying that bill, your customers are" -- but at the end of the month that bill is in the same pile with all the others.

Using their logic, I don't pay any bills, only my customers do.

A 13% tax (our current hotel tax) on gross is equivalent to a 91% tax on net. No other industry is taxed so highly, which is why there are so many shady motel operations. The profit margin is razor thin, after the government has skimmed the cream off the top.

Yep, those taxes, plus many more.

Hotel/motel taxes, like sales tax, are paid by the business owner. The bureaucrats hide behind the truth, by saying "Oh, YOU'RE not paying that bill, your customers are" -- but at the end of the month that bill is in the same pile with all the others.

Using their logic, I don't pay any bills, only my customers do.

A 13% tax (our current hotel tax) on gross is equivalent to a 91% tax on net. No other industry is taxed so highly, which is why there are so many shady motel operations. The profit margin is razor thin, after the government has skimmed the cream off the top.
If you're charging, say, $100/night, the tax is $13. You're only collecting the tax, putting in in a bank account, and sending it off to the Man periodically. It's not ever "your" money and doesn't show up in your P&L.

If you're charging, say, $100/night, the tax is $13. You're only collecting the tax, putting in in a bank account, and sending it off to the Man periodically. It's not ever "your" money and doesn't show up in your P&L.

My business parter and I were just discussing this yesterday. Out clients do no have a budget of $XXX.00 plus taxes...they have a total budget of $XXX.00 INCLUDING taxes for their projects....and Sales Tax is just ONE of the gazillion other taxes that we need to pay.

My business parter and I were just discussing this yesterday. Out clients do no have a budget of $XXX.00 plus taxes...they have a total budget of $XXX.00 INCLUDING taxes for their projects....and Sales Tax is just ONE of the gazillion other taxes that we need to pay.
Well, backing the taxes out of the billing is an easy piece of accounting.

Well, backing the taxes out of the billing is an easy piece of accounting.

Accounting is not the issue..having enough margins to PAY for the accounting after you pay every other board, fee, tax, insurance, work comp, regulation, assessment IS!

I agree with this. The expo I attended last week was well attended by "zor's" pitching their opportunities. I would guess 2/3's were food. That is one sector that would not be the right fit for me.

What has made the cut so far are automotive service related. Something I already have experience in.

Now who wants to be part of the GoFundme campaign to raise the money for that fee?

Mike,

If I may ask, why are you wanting to get out of a successful business you have built from scratch. I can't follow the logic of your wanting to get into something you are locked into and would be at the mercy of the franchisor. I can't reconcile the logic in that. Promised profits? BS what from I've researched on line, and I'm glad I never got suckered into that. I'm sure you're astute enough to realize they promise the moon, stars, and deliver only broken dreams.

My last employer prior to my retirement was the sole owner of a successful FBO that prevailed for over fifty years. His reputation, as I suspect yours is in your business, was impeccable. He didn't "give up the ship" until he was 76. He was respected by his loyal customers, and they were saddened when he decided to close up shop.

From what little I can glean online I sense you run a highly respected business. I'm a bit dumbfounded why you would choose to abandon it at this point. Sure, we all get tired of doing the same crap day after day, but would changing direction at this point be in your best interests?

I'm not going to advise you one way or another.I'm just suggesting you take a hard look at what you're contemplating before you make the leap. Frying pan/fire syndrome.

Posted with the best of intentions.

Oh the buerocrat logic of 'other peoples money's. I am surprised that you buy into this.

The price you can charge for a hotel room in given locale is limited by the market. If the market would bear $113 on mustang island, Jay could charge $112 rather than $100.

Every successful business charges at least what they need to break even at, plus a profit, up to what the market will bear. The "tax and license extra" is imposed on the customer, not the business. In any market the same "fees" are charged on the bill, so competitively all businesses are on the same playing field.

Every successful business charges at least what they need to break even at, plus a profit, up to what the market will bear. The "tax and license extra" is imposed on the customer, not the business. In any market the same "fees" are charged on the bill, so competitively all businesses are on the same playing field.

The market is not limited to the island, it includes neighboring locales (or VRBO) which are not burdened by the same tax.

Are the muffler and brake chains franchises ?
Many are. The COO of the group we are starting to talk too began his franchising career with a few Meineke Muffler locations.

Problem with your utopian analysis is that may times and increasingly the license and tax burden is now ever more encroaching into and exceeding the threshold as to what the market will bear for small businesses.

...unless you are OK with the entire economic environment being dominated exclusively by the Amazons, Walmarts and Googles of the world who can survive by duplicating razor thin margins exponentially via massive volume even while taking an operating loss. Not even close at all to the same playing field.

Last edited:
That is almost physically painful to read, as it is clearly sincerely believed and not meant to be antagonistic.

Sadly, it's the rhetoric we are fed from Day One in our schools. It is what makes the general public believe that usurious taxes are morally okay. It is the Big Lie that business owners are merely "painless tax collectors".

It is only when you are in business for yourself, and you are one day forced to choose between paying yourself, your employees, or your government, that the stark reality of this lie is made apparent. Only then do you finally understand that you, and you alone, are paying that tax.

No different than the gas bill, the electric bill, etc. It's all on you.

That is almost physically painful to read, as it is clearly sincerely believed and not meant to be antagonistic.

Sadly, it's the rhetoric we are fed from Day One in our schools. It is what makes the general public believe that usurious taxes are morally okay. It is the Big Lie that business owners are merely "painless tax collectors".

It is only when you are in business for yourself, and you are one day forced to choose between paying yourself, your employees, or your government, that the stark reality of this lie is made apparent. Only then do you finally understand that you, and you alone, are paying that tax.

For some taxes, the business owner is indeed the tax collector. Sales tax, occupancy tax, convenience tax, entertainment tax, arena tax, municipal and regional district tax, Convention and Visitor tax, park fee....all of these are broken out on my bill. I suppose it is bad that my schools taught me to read. Some are a fixed rate, everyone collects the same tax no matter how much the room costs. Some are a percentage and depends on the room cost. The point I'm making is that I pay these when I stay in a room. Every hotel/motel in a taxing location (usually municipality) has to collect these from me. The Hilton doesn't get an advantage compared to the specialty themed hotel a block away.

I'll grant that the Air B&B (or whatever "sharing economy" entity competes with you) does seem to hold an advantage since they don't seem to need to jump through the hoops you need to do, and probably don't collect all these taxes. Maybe you should reopen as Amelia's Air B&B :)

For some taxes, the business owner is indeed the tax collector. Sales tax, occupancy tax, convenience tax, entertainment tax, arena tax, municipal and regional district tax, Convention and Visitor tax, park fee....all of these are broken out on my bill. I suppose it is bad that my schools taught me to read. Some are a fixed rate, everyone collects the same tax no matter how much the room costs. Some are a percentage and depends on the room cost. The point I'm making is that I pay these when I stay in a room. Every hotel/motel in a taxing location (usually municipality) has to collect these from me. The Hilton doesn't get an advantage compared to the specialty themed hotel a block away.

I'll grant that the Air B&B (or whatever "sharing economy" entity competes with you) does seem to hold an advantage since they don't seem to need to jump through the hoops you need to do, and probably don't collect all these taxes. Maybe you should reopen as Amelia's Air B&B :)

No problem if the customers' only option is the other hotels in the area. Aside from Air B&B, there are other geographies (hey let's go to xyz instead of Amelia's Island). Also, there are options to bypass the hotel altogether. If we're visiting friends or family in another town, I'll do the math as to whether it's worth it to me to have my own space (vs staying with them). In short, there is price elasticity with hotel taxes.

Exactly, the taxes ADDED to the hotel's charges can be anti-competitive, and that's when you go to the government as a class to fight for equitable treatment. Online purchases used to go untaxed until enough B&M businesses made a case to have the taxing entities force businesses like Amazon to collect sales tax as if they had a physical nexus in a particular state/locality.

Jay, do you take all of the moneys received on guest bill payment and put it in a shoe box until tax filing time? If that's what you're doing, sure, it looks like you are being taxed at some huge rate. But what should be happening is tax collected goes into Account A, and your receivables (the actual charges) go to Account B. Account A is transparent to your bottom line. Your operating costs (gas bill, the electric bill) of course come out of gross revenues, and are deductions. I know you're smart enough to know all that, so I don't understand why we have a disconnect.

BTW, I am self-employed (but don't collect sales tax) and I just got off the phone with my accountant re 2016 filings, so I certainly understand business and taxation.

Jay, do you take all of the moneys received on guest bill payment and put it in a shoe box until tax filing time? If that's what you're doing, sure, it looks like you are being taxed at some huge rate. But what should be happening is tax collected goes into Account A, and your receivables (the actual charges) go to Account B. Account A is transparent to your bottom line. Your operating costs (gas bill, the electric bill) of course come out of gross revenues, and are deductions. I know you're smart enough to know all that, so I don't understand why we have a disconnect.

BTW, I am self-employed (but don't collect sales tax) and I just got off the phone with my accountant re 2016 filings, so I certainly understand business and taxation.
Of course we go through all the accounting hoopla to segregate all the various taxes. But that's just accounting sleight of hand.

In the end, that payment to the State comes out of the same checking account as the electric bill, the employee pay, and whatever it costs to replace the next broken air conditioner. It feels exactly the same because it IS exactly the same, and everything the government tells us to the contrary is just more BS.

Bottom line: We could easily provide health insurance and a living wage to our employees were it not for that tax. If that doesn't illustrate how "real" it is to y'all, well, I give up.

I repeat: For the 179th consecutive month, the #1 beneficiary of my hotel business was the government. They took more profit from the hotel than me, my wife, and all of our employees COMBINED.

That's 15 years in a row, at two different hotels in two different states. It is not an anomaly -- it is the norm.

If you don't see the inherent unfairness of that situation, you are part of the problem.

The "lodging" or "occupancy" tax, whatever they call it down there, does NOT come out of your pocket. It is tacked onto whatever you charge for the service.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to start paying myself in July, since the sum total of my revenue for the last 6+ months has gone to pay various taxes (that I don't get to pass along.)

I'm out.

Makes me feel better!
Yawn....

I repeat: For the 179th consecutive month, the #1 beneficiary of my hotel business was the government. They took more profit from the hotel than me, my wife, and all of our employees COMBINED.

That's 15 years in a row, at two different hotels in two different states. It is not an anomaly -- it is the norm.

And yet, you CONTINUE to run your business (which allows you to own an airplane and I suspect a nice home, put your kids through college etc) year after year after year....

Jay, I guess you are just a hopeless glutton for punishment...

I have a suggestion for you. GO FLY YOUR AIRPLANE!

Of course we go through all the accounting hoopla to segregate all the various taxes. But that's just accounting sleight of hand.

In the end, that payment to the State comes out of the same checking account as the electric bill, the employee pay, and whatever it costs to replace the next broken air conditioner. It feels exactly the same because it IS exactly the same, and everything the government tells us to the contrary is just more BS.

Bottom line: We could easily provide health insurance and a living wage to our employees were it not for that tax. If that doesn't illustrate how "real" it is to y'all, well, I give up.

If you don't see the inherent unfairness of that situation, you are part of the problem.
Jay- I just looked at your web site. Rooms are $109.50 through $139.50. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include the taxes (sales, occupancy, beach, convenience fee, whatever apply to that locality). I don't recall seeing any room rates listed in any hotel mentioning the taxes; the one hotel that does will show a higher price than their competitors and lose business. One can argue that is unfair to the customer- the room costs more than $109.50, maybe a lot more, but that is the way the business works. The only money that really "belongs" to you for expenses is the $109.50, employees, electric, and air conditioning repair. The taxes that aren't listed on the web site, but are included in my bill, belong to the government. If you didn't have those taxes, would your web page show a different price for those rooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back