Anybody near Ohio want a free horse (or two or three)?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
‎52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter. Gentleman died and his son wants nothing to do with them. Most broodmares are broke and some are in foal weanling, yearlings, 2 yrs and 3 yrs old most are gelded. *FREE and papered*. Friend of the deceased is trying to find homes 440-463-4288 or 440-463-4288 Barnesville, OH.

Heard about this from my cousin, off a 4H board.

P.S.--I pasted the message as I received it; not sure why the same phone number is listed twice...

Last edited:
ugh!

I don't know anyone but keep us posted on whether or not they find homes.

People are *******s. He must have money if Dad had 52 horses, and the jackass can't even find homes for them? He's going to send them to slaughter?

I know... that's why I felt compelled to post it here. Maybe somebody knows somebody. We save dogs via aviation... can't fly horses, but maybe we can help find a few of them a home.

I agree with Elizabeth, Adam. Whether or not you like horses, killing them and absolving yourself of any responsibility for them that way is a horrible thing to do.

Anyways, sure, I'll take one! Not near Ohio, though; maybe shipping could somehow be arranged. Need more information, especially on whether or not they can pass a vet check. Saturday is not enough time.

Whoa Elizabeth, why is this guy an A-hole. Nothing in the post says the horses weren't cared for and it appears the son is looking for a home. They were dads horses and he doesn't want them so what. Not everyone is a horse fan or wants to keep them. Dosen't make him an Ahole

Did you read the first line about taking them to a slaughterhouse on Saturday?

Or the part about the FRIEND who is trying to find homes - not the son, the friend?

No home, dog food.

Last edited:
I agree with Elizabeth, Adam. Whether or not you like horses, killing them and absolving yourself of any responsibility for them that way is a horrible thing to do.

Anyways, sure, I'll take one! Not near Ohio, though; maybe shipping could somehow be arranged. Need more information, especially on whether or not they can pass a vet check. Saturday is not enough time.

Cool, Felix. Call the numbers given... I don't have more details than this, nor any place to put a horse.

Adam, if the original post is accurate, "the son wants nothing to do with them" and it's a friend of the deceased father (who previously owned the horses) that is trying to find homes for them.

Cool, Felix. Call the numbers given... I don't have more details than this, nor any place to put a horse.
Yeah. I don't know how to approach this. Transport is going to be a big problem, and it can't possible be arranged by Saturday. Vet check is another item that would be difficult to do by Saturday.

They should really know that 2 days is not NEARLY enough time for something like this. Buying a horse isn't like buying a dog - there's much more involved. Hmmm don't know what to do here.

BUT - maybe we can make this a PoA project. I'll provide the space and long-term care, but someone closer to OH needs to help with doing some local coordination. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
As for what Elizabeth said I am on her side too. Killing is a lazy excuse. He does not want the horses which I can understand, then he should be helping to place them not just murder them because he does not wish to be inconvenienced. It is a bad way to honor his father who obviously loved his animals.

I have in my will a caveat for my animals to not be killed and have set aside a monetary amount to be donated to a no kill shelter to take the cats if no relative desires them. In this way I know my cats will be cared for.

As for what Elizabeth said I am on her side too. Killing is a lazy excuse. He does not want the horses which I can understand, then he should be helping to place them not just murder them because he does not wish to be inconvenienced. It is a bad way to honor his father who obviously loved his animals.

I have in my will a caveat for my animals to not be killed and have set aside a monetary amount to be donated to a no kill shelter to take the cats if no relative desires them. In this way I know my cats will be cared for.

Oh how easy this could be paralleled and taken in to SZ but I'll refrain.

Glad the horses found homes!

Wow, thats incredible! There are way too many animal lovers out there, apparently more than PETA believes, willing to help horses. IMO Animal rescues may be overflowing but that could be because of the fact that buying a horse from a shelter is the same cost as buying one from the newspaper. I'm not saying there's not a legit reason for the cost, just the reason for the overflow. If someone is donating horses, there are many rescue places such as NARHA organizations (North American Riding for the Handicapped Association) as well as horse adoption agencies and many families that are willing to give these animals a second chance. I HIGHLY doubt if anything like this was made true and public that those animals wouldn't find homes. In fact, one of the horses my family owns was donated to us back when we ran an organization for handicapped kids and adults. I'm a horse lover so I think it's aweful sad someone would consider doing cruelty to such beautiful animals, even more that PETA would think it's worthless to try, and good but bad thoughts if it had been a hoax.

All in all, it was a happy ending and that's what counts. :)

Thoroughbreds are hard to place, the handicapped riding association probably can't use them, most places that are breeding operations for T/Bs are breeding race horses, not kids horses. When you breed for speed, you don't typically end up with the friendliest or most mentally stable horses. I'm glad they found a home, I love horses. As to the son, I'll reserve my judgment. Those horses may have received more love and attention than him from dad. I've seen that before, kids get treated like crap, animals get all the love and attention. "Judge not lest ye be judged" and all that jazz....

Whoa Elizabeth, why is this guy an A-hole. Nothing in the post says the horses weren't cared for and it appears the son is looking for a home. They were dads horses and he doesn't want them so what. Not everyone is a horse fan or wants to keep them. Dosen't make him an Ahole

Yes it does, and A1 A-hole. (if it is as it appears on the surface anyway)

Very happy to see that the horses found homes.

Last edited:
Could have made one heck of a fly in BBQ with that much meat.:goofy:

Its great when horses find homes. I hope they are lifelong homes with folks who have motivation, resources, and skills to provide them with what they need. (This could be a 30 year commitment for them, at several thousand $ per year.)
I also hope they are prevented from breeding. Otherwise they are simply propagating the overpopulation problem. Would be interesting to track them to see what happens.

Glad to hear they're adopted. Otherwise, Ted would have to get that AzTruck back in the air pretty fast!

And I agree with Beth's view on this.

Did you read the first line about taking them to a slaughterhouse on Saturday?

Or the part about the FRIEND who is trying to find homes - not the son, the friend?

No home, dog food.

Ok I misunderstood about who was doing what. I thought the son with the help of the friend was looking to find the placement for the horses.

Which leads to an interesting question. What if the father didn't leave anything or money to the son. ( I've seen it happen) The horses need to be fed, watered, cleaned, exercised etc. How does he do that? Can you even call the SPCA and tell them you have 52 horses to drop off?

Ted may have to be creative to get a horse in there.

There's no such thing as a FREE horse.

My wife and I do, too. Our pets will be cared for their entire natural lives. Now, who will give Tiger the attention that he so obviously believes he should get 24/7, I'm not so sure. So long as our kids outlive us, shouldn't be a problem. That cat is something else. :D

‎52 thoroughbred horses need homes. Will go to Sugarcreek this Saturday for slaughter.
Of course, what the post means is no the horses will be slaughtered at Sugarcreek. There are no legal horse slaughter plants in the U.S. Sugarcreek is like many other auction sites. The horses would be bought and shipped to Mexico or Canada where horse slaughter is legal. Over the years, a number of horse welfare advocates have attended the auctions at Sugarcreek and bought horses that they feared would be bought for slaughter. It is indeed a problem when a horse can no longer be cared for by the owner. As in this case, maybe the owner died. Or lost her job and is broke. It's nice to hear that others will step in and pay for the upkeep of these horses. It costs hundreds of dollars a month to keep a horse unless you have the pasture land and even then vet bills and other care run into money.
Of course, on a side note, different cultures have different attitudes toward pets and life. When I was in Korea and Vietnam, I observed that many there eat dog and find it perfectly normal, like Americans would eat beef or pork. When I was in Germany, I found some who liked horse meat which was readily available. From personal experience, I can tell you that horse meat is better than dog and beef is better than either. :) American Indians ate both and of course we respect their cultural preferences.
We see too many stories of horses, cats and dogs found to be ill-treated by owners who lose their ability to care for the animals but seem to be not willing or unable to give them to those who can. Euthenasia may be a possibility but disposal of animal remains can have it's own challenges, such as local laws or the need for special skills or equipment. It's not easy to kill a horse with one humane shot and move it a suitable grave. Maybe people who own pets should be required to put up a bond with the government so that when they can't take care of them the government will step in and take the problem off their hands. Humanely, of course. That would solve the problem of the person who dies or runs out of money and leaves noone to assume the responsibility.
Well, I'm glad everything worked out well.

Back