Anybody in the northland interested in visiting Henning at Diana's?

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
If I can get away (and if Diana and Tom don't mind) I might fly to their farm sometime this weekend to see them and hook up with Henning on his trip across America POA style. If anyone around here or along the way is interested in accompanying me, please post here. I already asked Matt who's down with the flu, and Tony who's going to be visiting his girlfriend in Rockford for the weekend. Matt might consider it for Sunday but somehow I don't think taking a long trip in an unpressurized airplane will help his sinuses much.

I'm game. I'm flying the Diamond some tomorrow but could cancel that. Free all weekend.

Lance, how nice of you to ask!

I would love to, but you'd have to make a crazy detour over here to eastern WI. PM me if you're crazy. :)

Lance, how nice of you to ask!

I would love to, but you'd have to make a crazy detour over here to eastern WI. PM me if you're crazy. :)

I'm probably not up for that big a detour, but is there any chance you could come over this way and then ride with me the rest of the way?

If I can get away (and if Diana and Tom don't mind) I might fly to their farm sometime this weekend to see them and hook up with Henning on his trip across America POA style. If anyone around here or along the way is interested in accompanying me, please post here. I already asked Matt who's down with the flu, and Tony who's going to be visiting his girlfriend in Rockford for the weekend. Matt might consider it for Sunday but somehow I don't think taking a long trip in an unpressurized airplane will help his sinuses much.
Sounds great Lance! Y'all come! PTS would be a better airport than JLN for us to get to. Or, if you fly to PTS, maybe Rudy could drive you over. :yes:

Sounds great Lance! Y'all come! PTS would be a better airport than JLN for us to get to. Or, if you fly to PTS, maybe Rudy could drive you over. :yes:

What kind of shape is your "long" runway in? Looks like Lamar would be the closest alternative, assuming it's VMC.

What kind of shape is your "long" runway in? Looks like Lamar would be the closest alternative, assuming it's VMC.
The long runway is frozen solid. If it gets to be 53 degrees on Sunday, it may be a thin layer of mushy ground on top of hard frozen ground. It's only 2600' with wires on one end.

The runway at Lamar is 2900'. Too bad you can't fly the Porterfield down here. :)

Is this gonna be Saturday or Sunday?

I'm probably not up for that big a detour, but is there any chance you could come over this way and then ride with me the rest of the way?

Not this time, unfortunately for me. Have a great trip and let us all know how it goes!

Restuarant at M17 will be open Sunday, if I'm not mistaken! Gas is only 3.19, I think.

Restuarant at M17 will be open Sunday, if I'm not mistaken! Gas is only 3.19, I think.
Jim, this might be the perfect place for people to fly into for meeting Henning! Sunday is supposed to be much, much nicer than today.

Wish I could participate. I'm headed to Houston late this afternoon and staying the night. Visiting long time friends--had made the arrangements sometime back. Would love to participate if something's up next weekend.

Best,

Dave

Is this gonna be Saturday or Sunday?

Sunday still looks better although today would work. We'd be getting a late start though.

BTW it appears that all I have for you is a disconnected cellphone #.

Edit: Jesse and I decided on Sunday. I hope to be in the air around 8am with a 2.5 hr ETE. I'm thinking I could get into the farm strip but getting out might be more challenge than I'm up for unless the snow is really packed hard and won't slow my takeoff roll. Lamar would work but I can't find any info on fuel there. PTS looks like the next best choice. M17 looks to be an hour away by car.

Last edited:
Edit: Jesse and I decided on Sunday. I hope to be in the air around 8am with a 2.5 hr ETE. I'm thinking I could get into the farm strip but getting out might be more challenge than I'm up for unless the snow is really packed hard and won't slow my takeoff roll. Lamar would work but I can't find any info on fuel there. car.
Wow, how cool! You guys are coming!

There is a King Air based out of LLU, and we've had several Barons come in before. There was one that even ran off the end of the runway once, but he landed with a tailwind. Long story.

I have a key to the fuel pumps, so we can get you fuel. Y'all come! :goofy:

If you can stop by JEF lance, give me a call, love to see you guys, buy you a cup of coffee or something.

Mark B.

Wow, how cool! You guys are coming!

There is a King Air based out of LLU, and we've had several Barons come in before. There was one that even ran off the end of the runway once, but he landed with a tailwind. Long story.

I have a key to the fuel pumps, so we can get you fuel. Y'all come! :goofy:

LLU it is then. We're shooting for wheels up at 8am. That should make the ETA between 10am and 10:30am. I would assume that you'll hear us on 122.9 at Lamar, and there's always FlightAware (N9025Q). See you tomorrow.

If you can stop by JEF lance, give me a call, love to see you guys, buy you a cup of coffee or something.

Mark B.

Love to Mark, but our time at Diana's will be limited as it is. Why not pop down there yourself?

LLU it is then. We're shooting for wheels up at 8am. That should make the ETA between 10am and 10:30am. I would assume that you'll hear us on 122.9 at Lamar, and there's always FlightAware (N9025Q). See you tomorrow.
Cool!!! It looks like a few others will be joining us. Rudy will be flying ito LLU in his Cherokee and Jim Shawley from Bolivar will be coming in the afternoon. Chip might fly in with the Extra in the afternoon. Barb will be coming too.

We'll be listening on 122.9, and that's what we use at the farm, too. I may go ahead and open up the aerobatic practice area over the farm, so KC Center may mention it when you get close.

Cool!!! It looks like a few others will be joining us. Rudy will be flying ito LLU in his Cherokee and Jim Shawley from Bolivar will be coming in the afternoon. Chip might fly in with the Extra in the afternoon. Barb will be coming too.

We'll be listening on 122.9, and that's what we use at the farm, too. I may go ahead and open up the aerobatic practice area over the farm, so KC Center may mention it when you get close.

Now if only Tristan could find a way there, Jesse would be in heaven.

Looks like Lance is on his way, according to FlightAware. The chili should be ready when he gets here. :)

This kind of stuff really makes me wish I lived closer to the midwest....

Hope y'all are having fun.

Don't worry. Jesse'll come back to you. Remember, Tony isn't with him! :rofl::blowingkisses:

(Yeah, I'm jealous too. Hope all you'se guys have a great time down there!:yes:)
Thanks grant. I was so worried, wasn't sure what to do! I'll try to hold back from pacing the floors. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do at Tony's fly in. Hehe j/k ;)

It was a great day for a fly-in...glad you suggested it Lance! :D I hear everyone liked the chili with veggies. I'm just sorry I was out of carrots. :D

Rudy flew his Cherokee into the farm for the first time. I got to take his brother Judd flying. Lance flew from the back seat into the farm and did a great job, too! I got to take Jesse and Jim Shawley flying. Jim, it was great to finally meet you and your wife! :yes: Chip made a nice pass over the farm in the Extra.

Henning just got back from flying with Barb in her Cessna 172.

It was a busy and fun day...thanks everyone for coming. :)

Attachments

• Diana and Chip.JPG
    Diana and Chip.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Diana and Lance.JPG
    Diana and Lance.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Lance Fisher.JPG
    Lance Fisher.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Henning is cold.JPG
    Henning is cold.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Basking in the sun.JPG
    Basking in the sun.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Chili in the hangar.jpg
    Chili in the hangar.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Jesse and Lance.JPG
    Jesse and Lance.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 51
  • Jim Shawley.JPG
    Jim Shawley.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Rudy and Judd.JPG
    Rudy and Judd.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Judd, Rudy, Lance, Henning, Diana and Jesse.JPG
    Judd, Rudy, Lance, Henning, Diana and Jesse.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Lance and the bike.JPG
    Lance and the bike.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 57
Wow! Looks like ya'll had a hoot! Good warm-up for Gastons. :D

Glad ya'll had a good time. Looks like your runway is still pretty firm - is it already dry or has it just not thawed yet?

We sure had a great time Diana and the chilli was worth the trip. Did Henning get Barb to land at Twin Oaks? It was great to see Chip, meet Jim and his wife, not to mention meeting "the legend" in person.

Last edited:
Looks like your runway is still pretty firm - is it already dry or has it just not thawed yet?
It was frozen solid this morning, but started thawing this afternoon and got softer. I tore up several places in the grass when turning the airplane this afternoon where the ground was soft and mushy.

It was frozen solid this morning, but started thawing this afternoon and got softer. I tore up several places in the grass when turning the airplane this afternoon where the ground was soft and mushy.

Not sure about down your way, but we're looking at the 40's here this week, so maybe we can get some of this winter stuff out of the way and start pushing toward spring. :yes:

Looks like Tony and I will have to wait till later in the spring to head down that way.

It was a great day for a fly-in...glad you suggested it Lance! :D I hear everyone liked the chili with veggies. I'm just sorry I was out of carrots. :D

Rudy flew his Cherokee into the farm for the first time. I got to take his brother Judd flying. Lance flew from the back seat into the farm and did a great job, too! I got to take Jesse and Jim Shawley flying. Jim, it was great to finally meet you and your wife! :yes: Chip made a nice pass over the farm in the Extra.

Henning just got back from flying with Barb in her Cessna 172.

It was a busy and fun day...thanks everyone for coming. :)

That's it!! I'm never posing for photos again! I can't believe I'm so un-photogenic.:D :D

Seriously, Mary and I had a wonderful time. And thank you again, Diana, for being crazy enough to let an amateur (yours truly) fly your beautiful Citrabria from the back seat. You are indeed a trusting soul:yes: .

You and Tom are wonderful ambassadors for the GA community.
Thanks again!

Jim and Mary

Looks like Tony and I will have to wait till later in the spring to head down that way.

yea...im going home to see the family next weekend. weekend after that is glider seminar, then a couple weekends of spring break in which hopefully i will be doing a lot of flying. Plus Chris is taking this trip to Vegas in March. Then glideathon on March 31. April 7 is my bday so back home. April 14 is leahs bday so ill be busy. how bout april 21 weekend? hows that for planning ahead? the weekend after that is the weekend before finals week so I'll probably be busier than all get out studying (hahaha). finals end may 4 i think, then its two weeks of hard core soaring ( i hope) to fine tune my skills for the contest that starts may 27. oh yea and i start working again may 21. gosh darn i got a busy spring!

Back