Anybody here own a TomTom?

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
I'm looking at auto GPS's in the <$200 range for my Mom, who wants to give it to Dear Ol' Dad for Christmas.
I've looked at the TomTom One, but I'm confused.
Does it come with a preloaded map, or do they all have to be downloaded at ~$99 a map?
From what I can tell it uses subscriber maps that are downloaded from the internet, and uploaded via USB.
Any info woud be a great help.
Thanks
HoHoHo!

I just bought two Garmin C330s for $125 apiece. One for mom and dad, one for my wife. They are fully preloaded with data.

Thanks, Ken.
Where did you get a deal like that?
I've got a feeling that since "Black Friday" the prices have risen a bit.
I'm not committed to the TomTom, just to holding the price down and still getting a useful device at the same time.

I saw our local Best Buy had Nuvi 200s on sale this past weekend for $199. I don't know anything about that particular model, though.

Is TomTom the one you can get the celebrity voices for? A friend in the UK has Ozzie Osborne telling him where to go. "Turn left, you w***er!"

Thanks, Ken.
Where did you get a deal like that?
I've got a feeling that since "Black Friday" the prices have risen a bit.
I'm not committed to the TomTom, just to holding the price down and still getting a useful device at the same time.
I bought it on Black Friday on sale at the Evil Store. Now it's listed on the web site at $178. And out of stock.

Evil store = WallyMart. :vomit: I can't believe I did business with them. :(

I saw our local Best Buy had Nuvi 200s on sale this past weekend for $199. I don't know anything about that particular model, though.

The Nuvi 200s don't have the "speaks names" feature. Other than that they're prefectly usable. The screen is decent.

My coworker has a TomTom. I showed him this thread and here's his response:

Said by my coworker
The TomTom comes with a preloaded map. It will ask you if want to download updates (if available) when you turn it on. You can also get updates with a usb connection to your computer for no charge.

I doubt they have free database updates forever, but I could be wrong. Navteq or whoever has to be paid for the mapping data eventually.

[/font]

I doubt they have free database updates forever, but I could be wrong. Navteq or whoever has to be paid for the mapping data eventually.

Well, I went with the Magellan 3100 after all. It was on sale at a price my Mom wouldn't gag on and the Day is fast approaching.
I might, however think TomTom for my wife. No more calls at work asking me to "Google Map" her destination. Hmmm, sounds like that present my be to my benefit as well.
Thanks to all who participated.

No more calls at work asking me to "Google Map" her destination. Hmmm, sounds like that present my be to my benefit as well.
Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one. When we first moved to Jacksonville, I'd get a panicky call. "****, ****, I'm going over a bridge! I don't want to go over a bridge!" And then I'd have to call up a map and guide her through turn by turn until she got somewhere familiar.

"Anybody here own a TomTom?"

lessee ... snare, bongo, bass, tympani... nope, no TomTom! :)

Hey, I just noticed I busted the 500 post barrier with all this Christmas talk. Woo Hoo!
Still a lightweight , I know. But I've got more posts than logged hours, too.

:goofy:

At first, I thought you were talking about those two-legged things that Luke Skywalker rides on the icy planet of Hoth... :)

--Kath

I bought a Nuvi 200 for my spouse for Xmas. Ssshhhh!.

It has a very nice touchscreen in which even with big fingers you can spell out the address you desire, and it fills in the blanks nicely when it's down to just a few possibilities.

No Muss little fuss. Just about what my spouse can stand.

It does talk. It says, "Turn left 500 feet" though it will not say "turn left 500 feet, Jackson boulevard". But is says in BIG letters at the top of the screen "JACKSON Bouvelard" with a preceeding BIG turn arrow.

It's easy, it's small, it works well.

At first, I thought you were talking about those two-legged things that Luke Skywalker rides on the icy planet of Hoth... :)

--Kath
That'd be a TonTon according to Google, a cross between a Kangaroo and a somthingorother.......

Attachments

• luke-skywalker-on-tonton.jpg
    luke-skywalker-on-tonton.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2
These Navigon guys are making a big advertising push.
http://www.navigon.com/site/us/en

I know nothing about them other than they seem to claim they have the only 3D view (no way) but they show the actual street signs, which Garmins pretty much do, too.

Last edited:
Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one. When we first moved to Jacksonville, I'd get a panicky call. "****, ****, I'm going over a bridge! I don't want to go over a bridge!" And then I'd have to call up a map and guide her through turn by turn until she got somewhere familiar.

Me too. I've gotten so many of those calls from my wife and son that I've thought about changing my name to OnStar :rofl:

My mom got the Navigation when she bought a new car (no choice), and yet she still calls my dad to ask for directions.

He kvetches about it no end.

~ Christopher

I bought it on Black Friday on sale at the Evil Store. Now it's listed on the web site at $178. And out of stock.

Evil store = WallyMart. :vomit: I can't believe I did business with them. :(

My brothers each bought one on Black Friday at Evil Store as well, same $125 price. They stood in line for hours, but are happy.

Holy crap! Sherry's car has nav built in. Nav good.

Yeah, while we on the board would approve of a handheld and built in (why souldn't I use a 496 to back up a 430?), it is generally considered a bit excessive among those who don't fly (a.k.a muggles).

~ Christopher

My wife's "car" (Jeep Commander) has GPS built in. Works great.

We gave our son-in-law a portable Garmin GPS for his birthday a couple years ago. "Directionally challenged" is being kind. Our daughter thinks it is the best gift he ever got.

No experience with TomTom, but the concept is great.

Back