Anybody have gps trouble today?

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Facebook is atwitter with news of the electromagnetic storm we're apparently in. Reports of LPVs being unavailable. GPS worked fine in the tractor all day. Anybody see anything?

Made me think of all the threads recently about GPS only IFR planes.

Wish I didn't have to get up early in the morning and go plant; it'd be an awesome night to be at 6Y9 or some other similar high latitude, dark place.

If the solar weather is futzing with GPS, I can't imagine what it's doing to radio navigation. Good day to be VFR.

What's being planted? Corn or Beans?

Vertical guidance for RNAV approaches were unavailable this afternoon at PYM, EWB and TAN. We thought it might be equipment, but other planes in the area reported the same problem. Solar storm is to blame from what i am hearing.
Good to have that old fashioned ILS for backup!

Yes - we ran the ILS concurrently with the RNAV LPV. ILS glide slope was fine. RNAV had no vertical guidance. Used my friends Avidyne equipped Arrow, then tested it again with my Garmin equipped Archer. No vertical guidance for GPS on either, as well as another plane doing approaches in the area. Glad I kept the 2nd VOR receiver.

What's being planted? Corn or Beans?
I'm getting very close to being done with corn, hoping to start beans on Sunday. Hoping I don't have to plant with the markers :p

We had some pink & green here in central IL, but the lights of Champaign kind of ruined it. Lots of dramatic photos on FB from friends in darker areas.

If the solar weather is futzing with GPS, I can't imagine what it's doing to radio navigation. Good day to be VFR.

solar activity doesn’t do much of anything to the older aviation nav sources

Reactions: WDD
No issues with GPS or VHF last night. Thought about filing VOR to VOR to be safe. But then we didn’t.

went down to central america and back yesterday, including the RNP approach there with no problems.

I never had GPS problems when in Alaska. I saw some rather spectacular auroras

However, White Sands restricted area would practice GPS jamming often. That really messed up the GPS...

The way to defeat the jamming was to fly below the ridges, which could be, to say the least, a little exciting at night.

Yes I lost LPV several times yesterday and had to resort to LNAV on some practice approaches.

You might have that backwards.
Yes I did -

Even this Magenta Era Pilot wouldn't fly IFR in a GPS only plane for this very reason.

I never had GPS problems when in Alaska. I saw some rather spectacular auroras

However, White Sands restricted area would practice GPS jamming often. That really messed up the GPS...

The way to defeat the jamming was to fly below the ridges, which could be, to say the least, a little exciting at night.
It's not the Auroras that causes the problems, it's what's causing these unusually large and far ranging Auroras. It's the extreme level / higher level than normal of solar wind drenching the satellites that causes the problems. I've seen documentaries where if space weather is heavy enough, they'll even put some satellites into safe mode.

Last edited:
Facebook is atwitter with news of the electromagnetic storm we're apparently in. Reports of LPVs being unavailable. GPS worked fine in the tractor all day. Anybody see anything?

Made me think of all the threads recently about GPS only IFR planes.

Wish I didn't have to get up early in the morning and go plant; it'd be an awesome night to be at 6Y9 or some other similar high latitude, dark place.
Northern lights.

I flew, in hindsight it felt like it took slightly longer than usual to acquire a signal after powering up but that might be my imagination, either way it's negligible. I didn't attempt any approaches, honestly I forgot all about the the whole electromagnetic storm and just had a nice VFR flight.

Also I'm posting over starlink and watching youtube at the same time... have not noticed any degradation of performance.

Back