Anybody had disk surgery?

Rushie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Rushie
I don't know if I'm headed that way yet but gathering knowledge. (Going to see Dr. tomorrow.) If you did, what type did you have and has anyone heard of this guy?

http://drjho.com/id33.htm

ha, I had that done on Aug 2, 2016. Microdisc surgery partial, laminectomy
I am probably not a good person to ask as it did not help me.
Surely it has helped others.
And, the doc did say it can take up to a year for results.
No downsides. Except I have pretty bad back pain now. And even with "full insurance" the bills were breath-taking. And not a single person along the way, when asked, had any clue what I could expect to pay....although this is definitely another thread topic. Only bill left that I am aware of is $5,700.00 for a back brace made of nylon and velcro which, if it has more than $25 of material in it would shock me. The back brace helped a bit for 2 weeks after surgery but not thousands of $ worth. Good luck!

Last edited:
I always said I would never have back surgery as I have heard all the horror stories. Then I had back trouble. After doing everything other than surgery (nerve root, epidurals, acupuncture, chiropractor, decomposition) I had work on l4/5 and could not be happier! Again I think I'm one of the lucky ones and we will see the long term.

Good luck

I don't know if I'm headed that way yet but gathering knowledge. (Going to see Dr. tomorrow.) If you did, what type did you have and has anyone heard of this guy?

http://drjho.com/id33.htm

I suggest you get in touch with some well respected accident and Workers comp lawyers in your area and ask about doctors. They will have seen a lot of outcomes from various doctors.

Microsdiscetomy 11 years ago. But every situation is different so our experiences are really not particularly relevant to yours.

A good friend of mine had it done. He had severe back pain for years and would get the cortisone shots as often as he could be they would wear off quickly. He got the surgery and said they had him walking a couple hours after he came out of anesthesia. He has no more back pain and his only regret was waiting so long to get the surgery.

My wife has degenerative disc disease. She has L3 - S1 fused as well as C3-C4 in her neck. The back does not give her near the problems it had in the past. She also has an artificial hip and knee.

I had a C4/C5 fusion. Instead of a cadaver I chose to use a chunk of bone out of my hip to replace the disc. They went through the front of my neck rather than the back. When it was over I was pain free in my neck but my hip hurt like hell. My 75 year old mother just recently had kyphoplasty on her lumbar vertebra with excellent results.

I had C5/6/7 discectomy and fusion using PEEK spacers. It went really well and I have no issues. I don't know your doctor, I had a more traditional surgery. As always, I recommend second & third opinions.

Thanks for the responses and the great suggestions. Even just hearing your stories makes me feel not so alone. I got myself well enough to sit in the car for an hour today to drive to the big city doctor. She wants me to stay on the anti inflammatories another week and see if I can't continue to improve, and then make a decision about pursuing other options. She spent AN HOUR with me. Couldn't believe it. Great doctor.

My issues are with everything between L2 and S1. I'm doing great using the McKenzie method, including NEVER EVER letting the back get out of posture, not for one minute of the day. Plus the exercises plus chiro plus massage plus a little prednisone plus eating Doan's Pills like candy is all pulling me out of the crisis for now, I hope.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back