Anybody else read "Shadow Divers"?

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I just finished Robert Kurson's book "Shadow Divers". Wow! I couldn't put it down. Essentially, its about John Chatterton's and Richie Kohler's quest to identify a German U-Boat from WWII off the coast of NJ. Chatterton and Kohler are now known as the "Deepsea Detectives" seen on the History Channel. The book was riveting and very accurate on the details of wreck diving as Chatterton and Kohler actually partnered with the author to right the book.

As a recreational scuba diver, I know the risks of this sport, but nothing like what these guys experienced. The U-Boat was at 230 feet and recreational diving is mostly done at less than 100 feet. I've since read that these two divers have gone down to 400 feet to dive on wrecks! Unreal!

Anyone else read this book? Henning, do you know these guys?

Anthony,

I've read it, too. Great story and well written. I couldn't put it down, either. Only been SCUBA diving once, but that was enough to convince me that these guys were taking serious risks

Ghery said:
Only been SCUBA diving once, but that was enough to convince me that these guys were taking serious risks

Ghery. The risks they took were ENORMOUS. Scared the h*ll out of me just reading it. These guys were on a mission from G*d.

I got it on CD and listened to it in the car. Many times I'd sit in the car waiting for a break in the action so I could turn it off!

I finished it a few weeks ago and, like you, couldn't put it down. I'm a recreational diver as well - was thoroughly enthralled by the story. Sent it on to my brother and got the same reaction from him. He said he saw the story on one of the tv channels, A&E, History or Discovery (couldn't recall which)

Back