Anybody been to Katama 1B2?

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
Anyone been to 1B2 on Martha's Vineyard with any PIREPS? I have no experience landing in at a grass strip, but I really want to see this airport...from what I understand you can taxi to parking right across the street from a beach!

Couple of questions:

Is it worth the trip?

What is the conditions of the runways? It looks like there are 3 runways, all pretty long for a grass strip

How easy is it to spot from the air? Some of these grass strips I have a hard time seeing from the air?

Im a 250 hr PPL and like I said no experience getting into and out of grass strips. I figure this isnt too hard to do- just follow soft field and short field technique in my POH. However, do you recommend me doing this with a CFI first or is it something that really isn't that hard and not much different than a landing at a paved Rwy.

I'll be flying in my 182 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!

Yep, but it's been 8 or 9 years since I was there.

So I can't say what the conditions are NOW, but back then they were good.

If you can't see it from the air, you should turn in your medical, because your eyesight is horrible. But yeah, some are hard to find, Katama is not.

I will say this GRASS DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL SOFT FIELD.

Only use soft field technique if it's actually soft field.

No need for a CFI for grass, but if you feel you want it do it. But you'll most likely feel it was a waste of money after it's over.

I've flown into Katama many times and it's a great spot. There is a lovely restaurant on the field with a nice deck and a guy gives bi-plane rides there also.

Couple of things, the main runway they usually use is 3 - 21 but you can use any of the runways. They all are in good shape. I usually check the CTAF when I get near as there is always someone there during normal hours. They want you to taxi to the office and check in before taxing to the beach parking area. If you get lunch there is usually no landing fee but I usually go in the fall and spring when it's pretty quiet.

I usually talk to MVY tower and get cleared through delta as I come in from the west along the shore. If it's your first time on grass, it's really not that hard of a spot. Just check with CTAF for the winds as they can be different than MVY.

Definitely worth the trip.

Well worth the trip,you can pArk across from the beach,there is a parking fee,as the airport is privately owned,the restaurant is very good,and there is a trolley to town and the beach.

Easy to spot but can be hard to find the runways towards the end of summer / beginning of fall. The grass all tends to turn brown and if you don't know where to look it can take a little time to pick them out. Runways are in great condition. Soft field landings are still a good idea as it will keep the nose off the ground and out of any pot holes for as long as possible. One end of the runway you can walk across the road to the beach and the other end of the field is a small resteraunt. Fun place to fly to.

Keith

You'll be in good company in a 182 there. I was there a month ago in my 182 and it was in great shape. If you use Foreflight, an airport diagram will pop up which is handy as it can get confusing with all of the runways and taxiways. If not, print off a copy of the Google satellite view of the airfield to reference.

I always park up by the diner; the parking area across from the beach is a little more expensive. MV is easy to get around using the island bus system. Download the schedule from the MV transit site and you'll find your way around like a pro.

Thanks for all the info!

I'll be sure to post a PIREP myself after I go this weekend.

May be there myself this weekend. Visiting the relatives on the Cape, need a place to get away from them. Was thinking of heading over there.

Back