Any wet shavers?

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
OK, I'm obsessed with new little hobby. Wet shaving is the process of taking a shaving brush (boar or badger hair usually) and using soap or cream to lather your face....like your Father or Grandfather probably shaved. I have been actually enjoying shaving shaving for the last month. I don't think I will ever go back to my electric or cartridge/can cream again. I have been using a new safety razor, the Merkur Futur. It could be cheaper than my cartridge regimen but once you start sampling different blades/soaps/brushes/creams/razor...etc....it is probably way more expensive. It takes more time to shave in the morning but I would rather enjoy doing something for 10-15 min than dreading a 5 min task. Anyhow I not writing to convince anyone this is the way to go, but wondering if I'm the lone wet shaver in the aviation world:tongue:. Wet shavers also have a huge forum also called Badger and Blade which has tons of info...

Last edited:
I used to do this. Either with a single-blade safety razor or an open blade. At some point I stopped doing it, mostly as a result of lazyness. By now I dont even buy the cream anymore and just grab whatever flowery stuff my wife has sitting in the shower :wink2: .

Every time I drop an insane amount of money on another pack of cartridges, I wonder whether it would be worth going back to a single-blade. You do seem to get a bit more nicks, but particularly if I have gone a couple of days without shaving, the cartridges just clog up in record time.

As for blades. I found the no-name grocery store brands to work the same as name-brand ones. They all come from the same factory in India anyway.

I started out that way, so many years ago. Changed to electric during Officer Training School, just was not getting a close shave and did not have the time needed to do it right, kept getting dinged for a "beard" by mid afternoon.

Now it's a cartridge and a can, I'm still getting up at 4am for work and trying to save time. I'd grow out the beard, but it's more white than black, plus the wife prefers smoother skin to get close too.

I "won" a traditional shave as part of a United Way contest a few years back. I think I donated more blood with that than going to the Bloodmobile.

My grandfather was a Cavalryman in WWI. They stropped their razors on the part of the saddle that the stirrups were attached to - whatever that part is called. He spent most of his time postwar as a geologist looking for bauxite ore for Alcoa and Uranium ore for the AEC. We have his strop, the soap cup with the brush (I think it's badger bristles) and his mother-of-pearl handled straight razor that he used whenever he was home. None of us has been brave enough to try to use it, though.

I have a friend who tried to convince me to try using a straight-razor. I managed to resist.

I wet shave, I use a disposable razors that I get from Cosco, by the 24 pack. which will last about 6 months.

I use regular bar soap and shave while in the shower, Lather up shave and rinse off takes about 2 minutes.

Last edited:
I have to admit, straight razors scare the bejezus out of me. The reason I feel into this technique of shaving was that I hated throwing my money away for crappy results. The multi-blade razors would pull after two shaves....and I couldn't stomach it anymore. One blade for me works better than 2-3 blade cartridges. My electric works fine on the road if needed but I still have to buy a new foil and block about every year.

Dang! I thought this thread was going to be about bronzed babes from Brazil...

I wet shave, I use a disposable razors that I get from Cosco, by the 24 pack. which will last about 6 months.

I use regular bar soap and shave while in the shower, Lather up shave and rinse off takes about 2 minutes.

Best shaving technique in the world...

It's all I've done for 50 years. Wilkinson shaving soap (can't find it in the U.S.) and a boar bristle brush that cost $35 a few years ago.

Most of the time, I just shave with no soap at all in the shower after the beard has gotten soft. Clean the razor with an old tooth brush.

I started shaving the shower a few years ago and I like that a lot. After the warm water gets on your face and you put on soap I get a lot less irritation. I bought one of those no fog mirrors and hung it in the shower to help out. The method I employ is to grow a beard. I grew mine back this past winter and that takes a lot of work out of shaving too.

Electric shaver for me. I think I've used a blade less than 5 times in my life. The last time required medical assistance to stop the bleeding. OK, I was on Coumadin and shouldn't have used the blade at all, but that's another story... :D

I was on Coumadin and shouldn't have used the blade at all, but that's another story... :D

I don't think Coumadin is listed as a depilatory or shaving cream, either one. You're supposed to drink the rat poison, not smear it on your face!

It's all I've done for 50 years. Wilkinson shaving soap (can't find it in the U.S.) and a boar bristle brush that cost $35 a few years ago.

Most of the time, I just shave with no soap at all in the shower after the beard has gotten soft. Clean the razor with an old tooth brush.

Wilkinson = Schick = Edge.

I shave in the shower. The hot water softens my beard, it goes a whole lot faster and easier. I use my old Army K-Bar knife, it is ultra sharp, (I've got a bench grinder) but the leather handle is starting to get a little messed up.

Hadja going, didn't I. I use cartridge razors. I work up a lather on my back scrubbing brush with the same Ivory soap I shower with. It's fast and gives a nice close shave.

Lather the brush, scrub my beard with it, then scrub my back, rinse the brush, and shave. I don't have a mirror. I'd like to get one someday, I just keep forgetting about it as soon as I'm out of the shower.

I never did like starting my day with a machine buzzing around my face. Years ago someone gave me an electric shaver as a gift. I tried it once, never touched it again.

John

I used to use a brush and soap, and shaved in the shower as well. Bought an electric razor a few years ago and have not looked back. It is just so much quicker and easier. I still use razor and soap when on holiday as a little break from routine (and so I don't have to schlep an electric razor with me).

I dry shave.

4 or 5 blade razor, no water, no shaving cream. I remember when I first started, it hurt like a bastard. But now, it doesn't hurt at all, and i get a lot closer. The hair doesn't clog the cartridge because its dry so it just falls out. I don't get razor burn anymore.

The only bad part is that I seem to dull the blades faster than I did when I used shaving cream and water. Small price to pay. With my current beard, I can shave in under 1 minute.

I dry shave.

4 or 5 blade razor, no water, no shaving cream. I remember when I first started, it hurt like a bastard. But now, it doesn't hurt at all, and i get a lot closer. The hair doesn't clog the cartridge because its dry so it just falls out. I don't get razor burn anymore.

The only bad part is that I seem to dull the blades faster than I did when I used shaving cream and water. Small price to pay. With my current beard, I can shave in under 1 minute.

That's hardcore...I could never attempt that.

I dry shave.

I do almost the same - splash warm water on my face and then shave with a Mach 3. Takes me under a minute.

Of course, I only need to shave once every couple of days thanks to some fairly weak facial hair genes.

I use modern cartridge razors and brush/shaving soap. Too much bloodletting when I use the old single edge safety razor.

I do almost the same - splash warm water on my face and then shave with a Mach 3. Takes me under a minute.

Of course, I only need to shave once every couple of days thanks to some fairly weak facial hair genes.

Must be nice. If I don't shave daily I look like chewbacca.

Must be nice. If I don't shave daily I look like chewbacca.

I suppose it depends on what you're going for. If you want to look like chewbacca, my genes are a curse. Of course, I kinda like not looking like chewbacca, so it works out fine. :)

Well, guys I am old enough that when I started shaving the double edged safety razor was the standard - in fact it was the only way... Electric razors in those days were more razor burn than results.. I did shave with my grandfather's straight razor once in a while just to show my manliness... But as soon as foaming gel and multi blade razors came along I switched... There is a reason we call that "progress"...

denny-o

I'm sorry, but I can't read the title of this thread without thinking somebody's kid needs a diaper change...

I suppose it depends on what you're going for. If you want to look like chewbacca, my genes are a curse. Of course, I kinda like not looking like chewbacca, so it works out fine. :)
At least people can tell the pax from the pilot in your plane!

Back