any weed-wacker heads that actually, like, y'know, WORK?

archerdriver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archerdriver
Constantly looking for the elusive unicorn-like dual string head for a mid-range gas weed-wacker, and I find myself buying sh*t at HD or Lowes that never feeds or stays together.

I am about to drop one of the units I have off at a local service shop for a tune-up / service - Like to ALSO get a bump-feeding 2 string head, or the pre-cut line deals (forgive me if I don't have the lingo right) that doesn't elicit my cursing every 30 seconds as I attack it again with a screwdriver or a .45.

Any recommendations?

Also not adverse to the nylon blade-thingys....

These have always worked best for me....

st_whatsinside_f.jpg

Seeing how I worked in the turf equipment industry for over 20 years working on commercial turf equipment let me give you a couple hints or tricks to keeping these trimming heads working correctly.

First lets talk trimmer string. Your trimmer head will have eyelets in it that are much bigger then the string that will fit in the trimmer head. The smaller string just breaks and you eat through it really fast. So throw out all small diameter trimmer string. Now you say what do I do. Get your self some .90 string or larger. To get this to fit you trimmer head, take a lighter and heat the end of the last couple inches of this string. Now while it's hot pull on this to stretch it out. Make it the diameter it needs to be to stick into the holes in the string trimmer head.
Now wrap the string in the trimmer head. As you wrap this string or after a few wraps, get yourself a can of WD 40 and spray the trimmer head and string wrapped in it. Finish wrapping the string and when full or finished wrapping spray it again with WD 40. Put together and go at it.

The WD40 keeps the trimmer string from getting hot and sticking together. It will now feed the complete head without issues. The thicker string will last a lot longer then the small diameter crap they want you to use.

Tony

Seeing how I worked in the turf equipment industry for over 20 years working on commercial turf equipment let me give you a couple hints or tricks to keeping these trimming heads working correctly.

First lets talk trimmer string. Your trimmer head will have eyelets in it that are much bigger then the string that will fit in the trimmer head. The smaller string just breaks and you eat through it really fast. So throw out all small diameter trimmer string. Now you say what do I do. Get your self some .90 string or larger. To get this to fit you trimmer head, take a lighter and heat the end of the last couple inches of this string. Now while it's hot pull on this to stretch it out. Make it the diameter it needs to be to stick into the holes in the string trimmer head.
Now wrap the string in the trimmer head. As you wrap this string or after a few wraps, get yourself a can of WD 40 and spray the trimmer head and string wrapped in it. Finish wrapping the string and when full or finished wrapping spray it again with WD 40. Put together and go at it.

The WD40 keeps the trimmer string from getting hot and sticking together. It will now feed the complete head without issues. The thicker string will last a lot longer then the small diameter crap they want you to use.

Tony
Damn

Makes a lot of sense.

Tony

I think that reinforces the OP's point. Shouldn't take a trick like that to make it work.

I too use a Stihl as my current trimmer and it is the best I've ever had, but it is still maddening.

In my efforts to not use RoundUp around my dogs, I bought a Red Devil torch and tried pretty unsuccessfully to control the weeds in my gravel drive with it. UNimpressed.
If you can keep the dogs away for an hour or two they should be good with roundup. Heck spray it on a sunny afternoon and it should be dry and good to go in 15 min. Compared to most anything else we spray roundup is like nothing as far as its toxicity. I'll have to go check the label when i get back to work but unless your spraying your dogs in the face with it I wouldn't worry about it.

Constantly looking for the elusive unicorn-like dual string head for a mid-range gas weed-wacker, and I find myself buying sh*t at HD or Lowes that never feeds or stays together.

I am about to drop one of the units I have off at a local service shop for a tune-up / service - Like to ALSO get a bump-feeding 2 string head, or the pre-cut line deals (forgive me if I don't have the lingo right) that doesn't elicit my cursing every 30 seconds as I attack it again with a screwdriver or a .45.

Any recommendations?

Also not adverse to the nylon blade-thingys....
Stihl makes an Auto-something head that has made my life much better. I used crappy weed-eaters for years before I finally decided to spend a little extra, and it is definitely worth it. I'll look at it and get the name later, but restringing it is much easier than the old way. I used to hate weed-eating, now it's not so bad.

The one attached to my Stihl works like a champ. Practically mow down a small tree with this thing

If glyphosate was produced and marketed by anyone else, it would probably be widely accepted as non-toxic to humans & animals.

That's odd. I never thought there was any difference between them before. How many ways can you spin a string around? How little did I know.

I bought a corded electric weed whacker for about $40.00 at Wally World about six years ago. I can check tomorrow to see who made it. I don't even remember offhand. But it's probably the most trouble-free tool I ever owned. Yes, I have to drag a hundred feet of cord behind it to get to some places, but it works great, with none of the messing about with gas, oil, and so forth that comes with gasoline-powered ones.

I just use thick string. I know nothing more about it other than that it's thick. And that it comes in different colors, none of which seem to make any difference in the way it works. Maybe the different colors mean something, but if they do, it's something that I don't know.

Rich

I really like my Stihl, best one I've ever owned. Uses the orange string, don't remember if that's .080 or .090".

But us folks living near the Home of the Auburn Tigers know that orange things just look and work better . . . .

:cheers:

I just use thick string. I know nothing more about it other than that it's thick. And that it comes in different colors, none of which seem to make any difference in the way it works. Maybe the different colors mean something, but if they do, it's something that I don't know.

Rich

Color denotes string thickness.

That's odd. I never thought there was any difference between them before. How many ways can you spin a string around? How little did I know.

I bought a corded electric weed whacker for about $40.00 at Wally World about six years ago. I can check tomorrow to see who made it. I don't even remember offhand. But it's probably the most trouble-free tool I ever owned. Yes, I have to drag a hundred feet of cord behind it to get to some places, but it works great, with none of the messing about with gas, oil, and so forth that comes with gasoline-powered ones.

Rich

I have an electric chainsaw like that. It came from Montgomery Wards and has got to be 30 years old, still runs like a champ.

I've always used electric trimmers for the yard, edging mostly. I have a gas powered one for heavier stuff but don't use it much. I also restring the spool myself vs buying more expensive replacement spool. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

I bought a used Stihl string trimmer from a dealer about 10 years ago. Still going strong, and on its original string head.

Bought a second, new, a few months ago for our TN property. Bought a chisel-toothed blade for that one, and when that's mounted it tears right through small saplings for serious clearing.

I've settled on Stihl for my go-to brand for durable lawn tools.

Why doesn't someone make a 12 volt string trimmer you could plug into your riding mower and trim as you go? A coiled cord, a gunrack-like mount. Seems like a best seller to me.

Rich

Messing about with gas and oil? You must hate automobiles and airplanes. (They both use gas *AND* oil!) You'd probably like an electric car, although dragging around that cord is going to make roundabouts interesting... And the colors do mean something. 100LL is slightly blue, FYI. :)

I bought a corded electric weed whacker for about $40.00 at Wally World about six years ago. I can check tomorrow to see who made it. I don't even remember offhand. But it's probably the most trouble-free tool I ever owned. Yes, I have to drag a hundred feet of cord behind it to get to some places, but it works great, with none of the messing about with gas, oil, and so forth that comes with gasoline-powered ones. . . .
Rich

I have an electric chainsaw like that. It came from Montgomery Wards and has got to be 30 years old, still runs like a champ.
Me too. I have a Homelite i bought 20 years ago to cut railroad ties to rebuild some retaining walls. I thought I would be Lucky to get through one or two ties. I did the whole yard with out any problems. 20+ years and it is still going strong.

Messing about with gas and oil? You must hate automobiles and airplanes. (They both use gas *AND* oil!) You'd probably like an electric car, although dragging around that cord is going to make roundabouts interesting... And the colors do mean something. 100LL is slightly blue, FYI. :)
I got the electric chainsaw for the same reason. Too many gasoline engines to witnerize every year. For the occasional use stuff - I will go electric from now on. Especially since auto gas has such a lousy shelf life. You used to get away with not winterizing stuff and just blast some starting fluid in carburetor in the spring and you were good to go. Even with fuel stabilizer you can't get away with these days.

I got the electric chainsaw for the same reason. Too many gasoline engines to witnerize every year. For the occasional use stuff - I will go electric from now on. Especially since auto gas has such a lousy shelf life. You used to get away with not winterizing stuff and just blast some starting fluid in carburetor in the spring and you were good to go. Even with fuel stabilizer you can't get away with these days.

Have you tried Trufuel..?? A little more expensive but it works. I use it straight in my lawn mower and my tractor mower and the weed whacker.

http://trufuel50.com/

Have you tried Trufuel..?? A little more expensive but it works. I use it straight in my lawn mower and my tractor mower and the weed whacker.

http://trufuel50.com/
No I haven't. I will give it a try. Last time I tried to start my generator I could not get it going. The older I get, the less I like working on this stuff. I originally bought this stuff to make life easier, but I feel like I have become a slave to the things I own.

No I haven't. I will give it a try. Last time I tried to start my generator I could not get it going. The older I get, the less I like working on this stuff. I originally bought this stuff to make life easier, but I feel like I have become a slave to the things I own.

:lol::lol::lol: Join the club..!!!

The little engines do not like the ethanol laden fuel that is so readily available now. Try the Trufuel in your generator.

Buy STIHL gas powered tools only. End of problem.

I think that reinforces the OP's point. Shouldn't take a trick like that to make it work.

I too use a Stihl as my current trimmer and it is the best I've ever had, but it is still maddening.

There are a lot of things in this world one buys that takes tricks and hints from others to keep working correctly. If I tried to list them all I would fill a couple pages. I am speaking of Stihl or any other trimmer head. All string trimmers are the same. To make them work takes skills most don't have as you see here.

Back