Any Traditionalist Husbands Out There?

K

KennyFlys

Remember when it came time to propose to your wife? Did you first approach her father and ask his permission to propose? How did it go? Were ya nervous? Palms sweaty and cold? Wishing there was an easier way to do it?

Now, imagine asking permission to marry the daughter of a father who happens to be the most powerful man in the free world....

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3896680

That's an episode I'd have loved to watch. :rofl:

I thought he meant Carlos Slim Helu.

I asked my to be FIL if it was o.k. to marry his daughter (somewhere about 1988) as we finished putting a cylinder head on one of the cars in his shop. He just looked at me and said something to the affect...what are you asking me for, ask her if it's o.k. :D

I did ask my wife's father for permission after I'd asked her. It wouldn't have mattered what he said, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

After I'd asked her, we were out visiting her parents and asked for their approval. Her father (Italian) said to me:

"You know, back where I come from, you'd have come and asked me, and I'd have sent a spy to your village to find out what kind of person you were".

I replied:

"You know, back where I come from (Ireland/Scotland), we'd have ridden in to town, burned your village to the ground, and I'd have slung her over my shoulder and ridden away. Isn't this better?"

We finally settled on him owing me three cows, a goat, and two chickens. (He still owes me).

I asked her first, then her father. Fortunately, both said yes.

Our son-in-law asked me for permission first, then asked Heather. And he did that in front of friends and family at her college graduation party. Did a nice job, too.

I asked her dad first. Corny but I thought it was the right thing to do. If he said no I'd still have asked. Just a courtsey I suppose.

I made sure it was the day before I proposed and he was away at a guys golf outting. Had to do it by phone. If I asked him any earlier he would have blabbed to anyone who would listen. FIL could not keep a secret to save his life.

I certainly had to ask my wife's dad for permission to get engaged. If he'd said, "No," I'd have been in a world of hurt, but I would not have been engaged.

It turned out well, praise be.

My plan was to ask my (now) FIL while we (me + FIL + MIL + (now) wife) were fishing at our local spot. Unfortunately, every time I would get me and my FIL separated from the others, my wife came walking over, so I never got the chance to ask in person. My (now) BIL was getting married just a week later, and my wife had given the ultimatum that she wanted a ring to show her extended family at the wedding. So, I ended up having to call my FIL to ask permission. He didn't make me sweat at all (I was doing that on my own) and simply said "We would be honored."

So, a few days later, I took my wife fishing (again to our local spot) and, after coming up empty searching for fish, I caught the best 'keeper' of my life. After bumbling through my tackle box looking for the right 'lure', I finally told her "I'll never be Mr. Romantic, but at least I can be Mr. Surprise." Oh yeah -- she said yes. ;)

I am looking all over the internet bride order site & I can't seem to find links to their fathers?? What should I do?

And what is plan B if the father says "no". :confused:

I didn't ask my FIL, as a matter of fact I don't think I really asked my wife. I think we were on the phone and I just said we were getting married. It must have be the right thing to say since it was almost 43 years ago.
Ron

I was planning to ask her dad first. I had the whole thing planned out, for her birthday. But then about two weeks before it, we got to talking about the fact that I was leaving in about a month for flight school so it just seemed like the time. Her dad is a bit of a traditionalist, so once the excitement settled a bit I called him and asked his permission, we waited about 15 minutes, then she called him to tell him that "I had just proposed to her!" Perhaps not the classic story, but I guess it worked.

And what is plan B if the father says "no". :confused:
Maybe move on. Would one want to be married to women who needs her father's permission to do something. ;);)

I had a girlfriend that I was engaged to at one time. I was constantly compared to 'daddy'. It got old REAL quick!

I would also say the same thing for men who constantly talk about their mommas.

Nothing wrong with loving you parents but if you want to be with them for the rest of your life then stay at home.

Maybe move on. Would one want to be married to women who needs her father's permission to do something. ;);)
Looking at it from the female side, I can't imagine someone asking my father (if I had one) before asking me (if that had ever happened), or even after. There's something uncomfortable about that thought, for me anyway. But no one has ever accused me of being a traditionalist. :dunno:

I did ask my wife's father for permission after I'd asked her. It wouldn't have mattered what he said, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

Similar path here. I called up four days before I left for Venice, and said "Hey, Henry... I'm thinking about asking Jessie to marry me. What do you think about that?"

If he told me to go pound sand, I would have... with Jessie in tow (hopefully!)

Cheers,

-Andrew
who gets along better with his FIL than his own dad

Y'all realize that it's usually the mother who's opinion matters.... ;)

ducks and runs for cover

Y'all realize that it's usually the mother who's opinion matters.... ;)

ducks and runs for cover
Heh, it's the guy's mother that matters. ;)

I've run up against that problem a time, or two, or three... :redface:

I'm kind of a traditionalist. I've never asked anyone that question yet, but when the time comes for me to ask my gf to marry me, I plan on approaching both of her parents first. I don't think it will be much of a problem as I know that they both already like me a lot and we approached them (and my parents, too) first about us living together. Not that we needed their permission or anything, but it just seemed the right thing to do. One thing I do know is that before I even think of asking her or her parents that question, I'm going to already know the answer beforehand.

Back