Any T34A mentor owners out there?

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
I continue to struggle, although far less now about selling my turbo Saratoga. I purchased a 78 182q model to rebuild and slap a big engine on the front but have since decided I don't want his either.

Discussing with broker about selling em both and finding something I can enjoy and yet fly theOklahoma trip if need be. I also would love to do some aerobatics.

Just curious if anyone owns one and could I call and visit with an owner about their experiences?
Thanks

How bouts a nanchang or similar.

http://www.flywba.com/id14.html

HalCJ.jpg

A T34 can be a huge money pit. You want an RV8 instead.

I've gotta 2nd this. I've got about 50 hours in T-34Bs.

They're a lot of fun to fly as long as you're paying per hour and get to hand the keys back to someone else when you're done. They're not terribly fast or fuel efficient. And, Unless you're buying Julie Clark's airplane, you're probably not going to want to be doing acro in it.

I guess it's difficult for people to read a thread title and the first post. :rolleyes2:

The guy has asked about owning a T-34A Mentor, he didn't ask for suggestions of an alternate airplane.

To the OP:

I've got about 200 hours in a T-34B. I never owned one, but I would suggest going over to somewhere like BeechTalk and asking owners over there about them.

I guess it's difficult for people to read a thread title and the first post. :rolleyes2:

The guy has asked about owning a T-34A Mentor, he didn't ask for suggestions of an alternate airplane.

To the OP:

I've got about 200 hours in a T-34B. I never owned one, but I would suggest going over to somewhere like BeechTalk and asking owners over there about them.

lol! I was thinking the same thing. I'm not even sure you could call it thread creep if none of the posts are even remotely related to the topic at hand.:dunno:

I continue to struggle, although far less now about selling my turbo Saratoga. I purchased a 78 182q model to rebuild and slap a big engine on the front but have since decided I don't want his either.

Discussing with broker about selling em both and finding something I can enjoy and yet fly theOklahoma trip if need be. I also would love to do some aerobatics.

Just curious if anyone owns one and could I call and visit with an owner about their experiences?
Thanks
Didn't you just buy your Saratoga within the last year or two?

To the OP:

Well considering he's made 2 bad choices in short order that are going to end up costly, and is looking at a third...:rolleyes2:

lol! I was thinking the same thing. I'm not even sure you could call it thread creep if none of the posts are even remotely related to the topic at hand.:dunno:
First, he needs an airplane that will hold a LOT of cats. As we've seen in the last 24 hrs, cats in flight are the new thing.

I don't think you can hold enough cats in a T-34. I think he needs AT LEAST a Beech 18

To the OP:

I joined the T-34 Association this year in the interest of possibly buying a Mentor in the future. They have good information at their website:

http://t-34.com

My understanding is if your plane has the spar issue fixed (most do), they are only as expensive to maintain as a Bonanza, and the only incrementally higher cost is for avionics, because you have two separate panels to deal with.

Neither did you.
Actually, he made one of the more useful suggestions in the thread so far.

But enough of about that, let's get back to the cats. I'm thinking the next logical phase of this flying cat craze would be to create a 'vomit comet' for cats. Rip out the interior of a Twin Beech and throw a bunch of cats in the back. Set up a GoPro and close the partition door to the cockpit. Good times!

To the OP:

Thanks

I joined the T-34 Association this year in the interest of possibly buying a Mentor in the future. They have good information at their website:

http://t-34.com

My understanding is if your plane has the spar issue fixed (most do), they are only as expensive to maintain as a Bonanza, and the only incrementally higher cost is for avionics, because you have two separate panels to deal with.

Thanks Stan, this is what I too have ran across in my readings just want to visit with real world owner. Not some rowdy fans shouting from the stands!

The O-470-4 military engine is getting hard to find parts for look for a upgrade engine in one. Most parts are the same as Bonanza parts some are only T-34 parts and hard to find. Fun airplane to fly not so much fun to go a long trip in as they were not made for comfort. The wing AD is a problem not sure I like the AMOC with cables fix, you need to educate yourself on this one. The A model is aerobatic the B is not. The price on all the t-34 over the years have taken a beating. Their are several out their that people have spent lots of $$$ fixing them up and selling for a small fraction of what they put into it, buy the best one you can afford as they can be money pits.

Just so you know, Brian23 was the Navy Flying Club's A&P-IA for many years, they had 3 at one time.

First, he needs an airplane that will hold a LOT of cats. As we've seen in the last 24 hrs, cats in flight are the new thing.

I don't think you can hold enough cats in a T-34. I think he needs AT LEAST a Beech 18

:D You can never have too many cats.

Only thing I can say is that I've flown in two. A Navy recruiting version that I threw up my pizza in and a laser dogfighting (Sky Warriors) one were I nearly threw up my breakfast in. I'm good for about 10 mins of constant acro. After that, look out!:(

Another you might consider is an E or F 33C Bonanza.

Discussing with broker about selling em both and finding something I can enjoy and yet fly the Oklahoma trip if need be. I also would love to do some aerobatics.

To the OP:

As usual, you have nothing to contribute to a thread except for inane diatribes. :rolleyes2:

No, but he clearly laid out his requirements. When I used to ask model specific questions it was because I did even think about there being other options. Happily people like Henning answered my questions with innovative suggestions. I, for one, appreciate these types of answers.

A great traveling plane like a Bonanza in an aerobatic mode like the an E or F33C? I would not have thought of that, but it fits the requirements.

The O-470-4 military engine is getting hard to find parts for look for a upgrade engine in one. Most parts are the same as Bonanza parts some are only T-34 parts and hard to find. Fun airplane to fly not so much fun to go a long trip in as they were not made for comfort. The wing AD is a problem not sure I like the AMOC with cables fix, you need to educate yourself on this one. The A model is aerobatic the B is not. The price on all the t-34 over the years have taken a beating. Their are several out their that people have spent lots of $$$ fixing them up and selling for a small fraction of what they put into it, buy the best one you can afford as they can be money pits.

Thanks Brien
Yes, I would be only considering the 520 or 550 upgrade. It is the spar repairs that I really want to discuss with someone who owns one.

From the little I have been able to read, the cost to maintain doesn't seem outrageous since many parts are very common between the bonanza's and the T-34. The recurring spar AD's are really the big question for me. I did review everything from the T34 organization website which was helpful.

Going to OSH in 3 weeks and I will definitely be talking with some owners. I've always wanted a warbird trainer and this sounds like a fun aircraft for what it can deliver.
Thanks

When you are at OSH, look up my buddy Bruce Winter. You will find him in the Warbirds with his P51D "Happy Jack's Go Buggy". He owned a T34A for about 20 years. I flew that plane a bit, along with T34Cs in the Nav. I really liked the plane, but my recollection is that he spent a lot maintaining it (including a prop and engine from a nose gear failure to extend, and the spar fix). Although he doesn't own it any more, I'm sure he could share a lot of useful info.

Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0273.jpg
    DSCF0273.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0272.jpg
    DSCF0272.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back