Any Shutterbugs In The House?

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Every once in a while a guy gets lucky photographing wild life. Some guys sit for days for just the right shot. Today, I was driving out to the airport and I saw a pheasant on the ground and I stopped to take a picture when I noticed one in the tree. I took a picture of it and the one on the ground flew up to the other one! The picture is real, not photo shopped or altered in anyway.

Having them cross their tails was a nice touch I thought!:yes:

Sometimes a guy just gets lucky.

2_Pheasants.jpg

Sony DSLR A330 75-300 zoom

Last edited:
There are a few. But from what I have seen Elizabeth (woodstock) is the best shooter.

BTW that could be my front yard on Saturdays. The pheasant hunters are across the street these days and all the birds come into my yard to avoid be killed. They are smart.

Nice pix.

I do quite a bit of photo work - I just don't post it (or much of it) here.

Nice pix.

I do quite a bit of photo work - I just don't post it (or much of it) here.

Thanks! It took a while but getting those birds to stand still was a trick! :rofl:

Lets see some of your work! I really enjoy looking at good still photos. I've always loved photography. I had a dark room set up and developed B&W an another life. I really admire Ansel Adam type stuff.

Last edited:
Not the first thing that comes to mind when I think about getting lucky, but it is a GREAT shot!

I too used to have a dark room and shoot lots of film. It was fun. Hoping to get a good scanner sometime to digitize all my kodachrome slides so I can display some of them.

Recently came across this pilots website with a ton of beautiful sunset photos.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/sunsets/

At least you have good lookin' birds to photograph. These guys show up in my backyard quite often. They have a face only a mother could love.

Taken through a window screen, so the quality is not up to snuff.

At least you have good lookin' birds to photograph. These guys show up in my backyard quite often. They have a face only a mother could love.

Taken through a window screen, so the quality is not up to snuff.

Ya, but oh so tasty! We have a lot in our yard too. Reilly, my Corgi tries to herd them, but they don't cooperate.

Thanks! It took a while but getting those birds to stand still was a trick! :rofl:

Lets see some of your work! I really enjoy looking at good still photos. I've always loved photography. I had a dark room set up and developed B&W an another life. I really admire Ansel Adam type stuff.

Here's one.... Ilford 400 B&W Gmunden Austria, scanned w/Minolta Dimage 5400

More later

Attachments

• Austria_BW_1_0001 copy.jpg
    Austria_BW_1_0001 copy.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 34
A couple more.

First picture is film-scanned, taken with my EOS3 in Lucerne.

Next two are in Tokyo w/an older EOS digital.

Last one is in Prague w/an EOS7D (brand new).

They lose something in the translation from raw and resizing to fit the web. The Lucerne picture is much better as a film print as opposed to scan (less noise).

Attachments

• Lucerne_5_03_0009.jpg
    Lucerne_5_03_0009.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2009_Tokyo_0175_reduced.jpg
    2009_Tokyo_0175_reduced.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2009_Tokyo_0400_Reduced.jpg
    2009_Tokyo_0400_Reduced.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0218_Reduced.jpg
    IMG_0218_Reduced.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 26
What gear does everyone use? Bill just got a 7D that I am lusting over but likely won't do anything until spring (and I really should finish sorting my current batch of photos in fact a good goal would be "no new camera until current backlog is sorted").

Here are a few I took this year:

London in Feb:

3286939026_91761c1e74.jpg

France in May:

3913016069_8675ace995.jpg

France in July:

3749220554_49313c2a75.jpg

London in Oct:

4088851755_67b75b44cb.jpg

Belgium in Nov:

4140583028_9c9b773a0e.jpg

Belgium isn't sorted yet, at all, really. Just a handful.

Brook takes some beautiful pictures, too.

Those are excellent, Beth. I'm especially enamored of the French one.

I spent some time on a couple of trips taking doors and windows (Italy, France)... I'm staring at a B&W on the wall of my office of a Ristorante window in Como with a bystander looking away.

Sometimes B&W is the only way to go, but I think the sepia in your London picture is very appropriate (and much better than B&W).

Adding one more....

Canon 300D digital SLR, converted to gray scale, San Antonio, 2006.

I'm half tempted to make this one into an avatar.

Attachments

• 107_0755_BW.jpg
    107_0755_BW.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 19
From Santorini, November 2008.

Canon 300D digital SLR, size reduced, jpeg conversion.

Attachments

• Santorini_1.jpg
    Santorini_1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Santorini_2.jpg
    Santorini_2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Santorini_3.jpg
    Santorini_3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Santorini_4.jpg
    Santorini_4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
Bill S., I like them all, but I really like the archway sidewalk. Wow!

Last edited:
Two more and that's it for now.

Both with Canon 300D digital SLR, size reduced, converted from raw to jpeg

1 from a small town in Austria, near Gmunden
1 from the San Antonio Botanic Garden

Attachments

• Gmunden_1.jpg
    Gmunden_1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Butterfly.jpg
    Butterfly.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 14
I've always loved photography. I had a dark room set up and developed B&W an another life. I really admire Ansel Adam type stuff.

Me too.

Is there any use for B&W darkroom equipment anymore? I have an old enlarger in my closet that I used to use in middle & high school. It belonged to my grandfather, so I have sentimental attachment to it, but I don't really know what else to do with it...

Me too.

Is there any use for B&W darkroom equipment anymore? I have an old enlarger in my closet that I used to use in middle & high school. It belonged to my grandfather, so I have sentimental attachment to it, but I don't really know what else to do with it...

There is, but not a huge market.

I still run Ilford B&W film through the EOS3, but I take it to the photo lab in DC for processing and contacts. I usually scan the film, though I do have some of the best pictures printed up. It is NOT cheap. And I don't do enough to warrant the investment an enlarger.

As a professional picture framer for over forty five years, I've looked at and framed thousands of pictures during the course of my career. I gotta say, there is some real talent here. My compliments.

John

Mykonos, July 2009

Sony A100

Attachments

• DSC09286.JPG
    DSC09286.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC09298.JPG
    DSC09298.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
On another pilot board I am on they have photo contests with themes (not necessarily aviation) and then people vote on their favorite photo. That would be fun but I know I don't want to compete with a lot of you here! :eek:

Nice pictures...Harry, that is a great shot...I like Harley's work as well...

I am a lousy photographer but that doesn't keep me from liking it...

A few of my favorites..certainly not in the same class as the rest...

Attachments

• DSCN0574.JPG
    DSCN0574.JPG
    973.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1417.JPG
    100_1417.JPG
    683.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OK, that does it.

Don't expect to see any of my pictures here. I ain't even gonna try.:goofy:

On another pilot board I am on they have photo contests with themes (not necessarily aviation) and then people vote on their favorite photo. That would be fun but I know I don't want to compete with a lot of you here! :eek:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just got lucky with the pheasant picture. I had to shoot about 50 pictures to get one you see at the top of the thread. It's funny, of all of the pictures I have taken I have 4 or 5 that I consider "excellent". To me it is all about trying, getting out and looking around ar our world. Looking how things line up. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but I'm having fun trying!

I used to hunt alot. The older I get the more I like hunting with a camera.

Last edited:
I had to "shoot" this bad boy through a bunch of branches, sitting over a deer carcass. He was not happy I was in his space.

Eagle1.jpg

I'm gonna try to set up in a better position tomorrow. The hunt is ON!

Last edited:
I shot this about 1/2 mile from my brothers ranch house.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I shot this in Yellowstone, and then did some post processing.

Attachments

• HT0_5724asmall.jpg
    HT0_5724asmall.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 11
On another pilot board I am on they have photo contests with themes (not necessarily aviation) and then people vote on their favorite photo. That would be fun...
Seconded! That'd be fun.

Here's a couple of my recent favs. From 2008 Oshkosh,some from Key West last spring, and fall foliage in my front yard.

Attachments

• DSC_0267.JPG
    DSC_0267.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_02671.JPG
    DSC_02671.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 5
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 095.jpg
    095.jpg