Any rules against what you put as your flight ID?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
I noticed the Dynon lets me set my transponder Flight ID to anything. Are there any FARs about that… any reason I couldn’t just set mine to TOM1? And use that call sign when talking on the radio? I noticed all the medevac flights do this, as do military, as do all airliner flights.

Please don’t reply if you don’t know for sure. Of course the default uneducated reply is “No! Of course you cannot do that. You must use your N number!” But I would really appreciate it if someone could cite the actual rules about this so we can all learn.

You are assigned a flight id. You can’t just make one up. There are many ways to get a flight id assigned to you.

Other than picking a custom n number, you pretty much have to belong to an organization that can assign you one. Here’s probably the easiest way to get one. https://foreflight.com/support/call-signs/

I noticed the Dynon lets me set my transponder Flight ID to anything. Are there any FARs about that… any reason I couldn’t just set mine to TOM1? And use that call sign when talking on the radio? I noticed all the medevac flights do this, as do military, as do all airliner flights.

AIM 4-2-4 addresses aircraft call signs. "Civil aircraft pilots should state the aircraft type, model or manufacturer's name, followed by the digits/letters of the registration number." It goes on to discuss air carrier call signs and air ambulance (medevac) call signs.

I know of a corporate flight department that started using a call sign without any permissions. They got a nastygram from the FSDO within a few weeks.

The military has its own call sign rules. In Vietnam, our C-130 call sign was "Spare." With several digits attached. In Thailand, it was "Klong" which is Thai for canal. We called ourselves "Klong-hopper airlines." When I was in T-38s at Williams AFB in Arizona, our IFR flight call signs were "Willy." Note that all of them are five letter call signs.

Other branches probably have their own rules, and I was active so long ago that the Air Force probably has changed as well.

AngelFlight - only allowed to use the "Compassion Flight" or "AngelFlight" during the actual flight with pax. Repositioning - the aircraft N number. Complete details as of 2015 can be found at

The rules are detailed in JO 7610.12A Assignment & Authorization of Call Sign Designators & Telephony

let's not forget AC-120-26N. Assignment of aircraft call signs & telephones (the AC version of the JO above)

I've been told that when the newly arrived Aero Medical Evac units arrived in Viet Nam, They, along with all other units got new call signs on a monthly basis. As I recall, the Army Security Agency handled this. Some call signs were recycled among units.

One Army MedEvac unit drew the call sign "DustOff". When it expired, the local ground pounders still used it to call for med support. It spread. Until a USN Pier Support unit drew it. Confusion and heart burn. ASA then made it permanant for Army Air Ambulances. It continues today.

"Dustoff" sounds so appropriate for a janitorial unit call sign.

Bob (ex Dustoff 100)

Last edited:
I've been told that when the newly arrived Aero Medical Evac units arrived in Viet Nam, They, along with all other units got new call signs on a monthly basis. As I recall, the Army Security Agency handled this. Some call signs were recycled among units.

One Army MedEvac unit drew the call sign "DustOff". When it expired, the local ground pounders still used it to call for med support. It spread. Until a USN Pier Support unit drew it. Confusion and heart burn. ASA then made it Permanant for Army Air Ambulances. It continues today.

Bob (ex Dustoff 100)
Was that the same with Sandy and Pedro? Those are still in use today, right?

The military has its own call sign rules. In Vietnam, our C-130 call sign was "Spare." With several digits attached. In Thailand, it was "Klong" which is Thai for canal. We called ourselves "Klong-hopper airlines." When I was in T-38s at Williams AFB in Arizona, our IFR flight call signs were "Willy." Note that all of them are five letter call signs.

Other branches probably have their own rules, and I was active so long ago that the Air Force probably has changed as well.
A bit later, they were not limited to 5 letters, but were one or two syllables.

In UPT there were 4 callsigns. Two for T-37s and two for T-38s. Each IP and Student had one assigned. Student callsign was only used with solo. The only one I recall was Rake for T-38 students.

Baltimore A-10s were Colt. When I went through RTU, the 917th used Hog.

A pretty extensive listing of call signs:

You have to apply to the FAA for a call sign. I use a callsign for work but can only use it were we have LOAs (CHA / TYS). LOAs have an assigned squawk as well. If I go somewhere like say BNA, I have to use “MEDEVAC.” If I’m not MEDEVAC status, then I must use N number or model / type aircraft with N number.

Last edited:

One Army MedEvac unit drew the call sign "DustOff". When it expired, the local ground pounders still used it to call for med support. It spread. Until a USN Pier Support unit drew it. Confusion and heart burn. ASA then made it permanant for Army Air Ambulances. It continues today.

Bob (ex Dustoff 100)
We took a vote for our call signs in OEF / OIF. Had to start with the letter A since we were alpha company. Went with “Assault.” Not sure why we did that since plenty of units didn’t use the letter of their company. The 58 guys were “Unfair” and 47 guys were “Massive.” Of course DUSTOFF is that everywhere they go.

You have to apply to the FAA for a call sign. I use a callsign for work but can only use it were we have LOAs (CHA / TYS). LOAs have an assigned squawk as well. If I go somewhere like say BNA, I have to use “MEDEVAC.” If I’m not MEDEVAC status, then I must use N number or model / type aircraft with N number.
Few years ago, AIM said to use 'Lifeguard" when on a med evac. Part 135. I did until I landed at the hospital. When Repo to home base, we shifted back to company call sign. All the time, twr knew me by name and I knew controller's name.

My carrier provided service to Gulf of Mexico energy companies. USCG could no way provide enough service to handle all the broken bones, cardiac, diver bends, heat stroke, etc that fell to me and my SK 76.

Was that the same with Sandy and Pedro? Those are still in use today, right?
I think Pedro is. Don't know about Sandy.
I often tried to out run Pedro (HH-43) to the scene in my UH-1H. An H model can easily blow the doors of a Huskey. They always got there first.

Last edited:

Please don’t reply if you don’t know for sure. Of course the default uneducated reply is “No! Of course you cannot do that. You must use your N number!” But I would really appreciate it if someone could cite the actual rules about this so we can all learn.
You need to comply with JO 7610.12A which deals with the assignment and authorization of call signs:

SUBJ: Assignment and Authorization of Call Sign Designators and Associated Telephonies
1. PURPOSE OF THIS ORDER. The procedures in this order explain the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Air Traffic Organization (ATO) process for assignment of call sign designators and associated telephonies; and describe the requirements for authorization of their use domestically within the National Airspace System (NAS) and internationally in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) policies. FAA ATO assignment and authorization of call signs is an air traffic management (ATM) security measure for aircraft identification that is fundamental to the security and safety of the NAS. FAA ATO must ensure that every call sign is properly authorized, clearly related to the type of operation permitted, and is used within the NAS in accordance with its authorization.

Few years ago, AIM said to use 'Lifeguard" when on a med evac. Part 135. I did until I landed at the hospital. When Repo to home base, we shifted back to company call sign. All the time, twr knew me by name and I knew controller's name.

My carrier provided service to Gulf of Mexico energy companies. USCG could no way provide enough service to handle all the broken bones, cardiac, diver bends, heat stroke, etc that fell to me and my SK 76.
Yeah I believe 2010 it changed to MEDEVAC. Our company call sign can only be used with the ATC facilities in the LOA but it’s a mess these days. In Atlanta everyone is using company call signs on air to air but it’s mostly air ambulance operators anyway. Anytime I’m on CTAF at an airport I go back to N number.

Mode S Transponders and ADS-B Out systems provide for the ability to configure a call sign. Most accomplish this using the ICAO Aircraft ID or registry number (aka N number). Most but not all may be configured to permit the pilot to enter a call sign that is different from the registry value. There are regulations that specify the call sign must match the value filed in a flight plan Aircraft ID IAW 91.227(d)(8). You need appropriate FAA authorization to use a call sign IAW 7610.12A.

Yeah I believe 2010 it changed to MEDEVAC. Our company call sign can only be used with the ATC facilities in the LOA but it’s a mess these days. In Atlanta everyone is using company call signs on air to air but it’s mostly air ambulance operators anyway. Anytime I’m on CTAF at an airport I go back to N number.
The best assignment that I had was the Crash rescue boss at the Primary Flight School at Ft Wolters/MWL, TX. Now the counterpart unit at Ft Rucker was called Flat Iron. Both units were departments of the Base Hospitals.
When covering the Flight School, we carried a couple of fire suits and gear to cut into crashed aircraft. Call sign was Crash Rescue. We also got missions to transport cases from hospital to hospital. Call sign was Army Air Evac.
Our pubs were called Flight Information Publications. (FLIPs) Similar to AIM/Jeps, but regulatory. FLIP ordered that call sign was Army Helo 1234 (ash & trash jobs) or Army Air Evac 1234. Oh, I also flew FW at that base too and it was Army 54321.
When I got to Ft Benning, it was Dust Off.
I can follow written instructions.

The best assignment that I had was the Crash rescue boss at the Primary Flight School at Ft Wolters/MWL, TX. Now the counterpart unit at Ft Rucker was called Flat Iron. Both units were departments of the Base Hospitals.
When covering the Flight School, we carried a couple of fire suits and gear to cut into crashed aircraft. Call sign was Crash Rescue. We also got missions to transport cases from hospital to hospital. Call sign was Army Air Evac.
Our pubs were called Flight Information Publications. (FLIPs) Similar to AIM/Jeps, but regulatory. FLIP ordered that call sign was Army Helo 1234 (ash & trash jobs) or Army Air Evac 1234. Oh, I also flew FW at that base too and it was Army 54321.
When I got to Ft Benning, it was Dust Off.
I can follow written instructions.
Only Huey I’ve ever ridden in was a Rucker Flat Iron.

You got on Flat Iron you gave blood…engine failure solo at a hover in a TH-55 was enough that day.

I hope that you did NOT have to pay for that ride in blood.
Nope no blood given. Just a main mod chip in a Black Hawk. Fortunately it happened on climb out from Andalusia, I took the controls and landed back on the ramp. Far worse places to be stuck than eating BBQ at Andalusia. ;)

I always thought the call sign was an FCC thing, not FAA.
But wtf do I know?? I never applied for one.

I always thought the call sign was an FCC thing, not FAA.
But wtf do I know?? I never applied for one.
it’s not just about communication. It’s also about identification of those things flying around. FAA assigns but it’s in compliance with ICAO requirements. Since It does involve radios, I would be surprised if there weren’t FCC coordination of some sort.

1714558379011.png

Last edited:
^^ This ^^
- Refer to [2.2] 'Who Can Use an Aircraft Call Sign' and [2.3] 'Types of Aircraft Call Signs'

any reason I couldn’t just set mine to TOM1? ... cite the actual rules
- 'TOM' is reserved for air carrier operations: 'TUI Airways Ltd' (Tomjet)
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/cnt_html/chap3_section_3.html

- As above (post #28), and from AC 120-26M:
"The regulatory sources for the assignment and authorized use of call sign designators and associated telephonies are published in FAA Order JO 7610.12, Assignment and Authorization of Call Sign Designators and Associated Telephonies."

noticed all the medevac flights do this, as do military, as do all airliner flights
... and when authorized, call signs for (public benefit flying-Volunteer Pilot Organizations (VPO), commercial providers, flight schools)
CMF (Compassion), NGF (Angel Flight)
DCM (Dot Com), FFL (Foreflight)
CXK (Career Track)

The fright schools around here all have callsigns. Aviator College - Whitecap; Skyborne Academy (formerly Flight Safety) - Sky Flight; Treasure Coast Flight Training - Treasure. Someone is Bucky, but don’t know what school. And of course Riddle.

“Smalltown traffic, this is Cessna November 1234 Alpha, we are currently eight nortwest, established at two-sousand five hundred, inbound for landing on runway one-zero, tracking 145, Smalltown traffic.” Bonus points for excessively rrrrrolling his rrrrrrr’s.

“Smalltown traffic, this is Cessna November 1234 Alpha, we are currently eight nortwest, established at two-sousand five hundred, inbound for landing on runway one-zero, tracking 145, Smalltown traffic.” Bonus points for excessively rrrrrolling his rrrrrrr’s.
Triple bonus points for a deep, gravelly ATP voice.

The fright schools around here all have callsigns. Aviator College - Whitecap; Skyborne Academy (formerly Flight Safety) - Sky Flight; Treasure Coast Flight Training - Treasure. Someone is Bucky, but don’t know what school. And of course Riddle.
USAFA (Air Force Academy) use Tiger for zoomies that have solo'd. It's both a radio id and transponder, e.g. TG47 is flying around KPUB right now.

Back