Any retract tailwheel plane like the Globe/Temco Swift

rowdog_14

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
rowdog_14
I have searched around and seem to only find Globe/Temco Swift as a GA aircraft that is a tailwheel along with retracts. Are there any others out there? Not looking for the big boys like the Staggering :)...

aschaffenburg.jpg start in wershofen1.jpg Carat A

In EASA-world it´s a motorglider, in the US it´s an experimental glider. It has a 54hp engine (basically a VW beetle engine) and is good for 105kts and 500NM range at about 2,5gal/hr. Flying with the engine off it has reasonable gliding qualities.

...be still, my beating heart!

Another pic, look at that nice round engine!

1920px-Spartan_Model_12_Executive_NX21962.jpg

The Spartan Executive is certainly one of the most beautiful and classiest of the classy vintage airplanes, isn't it? What a work of art!

And priced accordingly I’m sure, only 36 were built, don’t know how many remain.

Seabee get all the endorsements Complex , High performance over 200hp, Tail wheel and Seaplane rating.

Seabee.jpg

Cessna T50 Bobcat:
c3fb99401cac666a8d0165feda25ce4d.jpg

Let's not forget all of the Grumman amphibs, the Widgeon and the Goose as well.

Greg, you're on mute.
awe come on! I'm hearing that crap 20 times a day since we starting living on Zoom meetings ... along with:
"Can everyone see my screen?" x100
"Sorry my dogs/kids/spouse is/are barking/screaming/complaining" x10
"Sorry I'm late. How is everyone?" x5
"Hello? Hello? Hello?" x2

anyway - Ron ... I don't follow ... "audio works on my end" (another typical tech support response here lately when the ticket says "slow response" or "can't connect" or ... ) :D

I'm hearing that crap 20 times a day since we starting living on Zoom meetings
And, the students that think they can beat the system by logging into the meeting so they get credit for attending and then ignoring it. Gets real obvious when I ship them off to breakout rooms and a couple stay behind...

Back to retracts.

Single engine, tailwheel, retractable MLG, Short field, air conditioned, well armed, hates tanks. YAH-56

Attachments

• Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne.jpg
    Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 33
Single engine, tailwheel, retractable MLG, Short field, air conditioned, well armed, hates tanks. YAH-56
Yeah but if we open it up to military the list is humongous from WWII planes and some more modern Helo's. But with the OP asking for GA planes it makes it a good bit tougher :)

Yeah but if we open it up to military the list is humongous from WWII planes and some more modern Helo's. But with the OP asking for GA planes it makes it a good bit tougher :)
Thanks, things turned real left on this.

I thought "Not looking for the big boys like the Staggering" set the standard but I guess not. I like all the mentions but seriously want suggestions on practical planes for everyday flying.

I was really trying to find a family plane that is a GA aircraft that is retract. Seems most though are older models which look great but I would not want to fly then everyday or often. I really wanted something in the 70's maybe 80's.

I was really trying to find a family plane that is a GA aircraft that is retract. Seems most though are older models which look great but I would not want to fly then everyday or often. I really wanted something in the 70's maybe 80's.

By the '70's or '80's, heck, even in the '60's, taildraggers were fading fast. Basically the only taildraggers built during those years were back-country airplanes like Super Cubs, Maules, and the like, or aerobatic types like Pitts, Decathlons, and Citabrias. You would have to look back to the days of old to find a "family" taildragger with retracts.

If you're really set on a retract taildragger then I think you have the Swift or the Cruiseair/Cruisemaster. While the Bellanca's are older I've talked to a couple owners and they say they have very little problem finding parts or supporting their planes because apparently there's some parts commonality with the Vikings. I know of two that fly regularly around me and WOW are they gorgeous airplanes.

So, like, 4 place, retract, tailwheel, less than 50 years old?

I think that pretty much narrows it down to next to nothing. There is probably a homebuilt or two, but none come instantly to mind.

Why retract? To maximize your insurance bill?

If you're really set on a retract taildragger then I think you have the Swift or the Cruiseair/Cruisemaster. While the Bellanca's are older I've talked to a couple owners and they say they have very little problem finding parts or supporting their planes because apparently there's some parts commonality with the Vikings. I know of two that fly regularly around me and WOW are they gorgeous airplanes.
Spruce trees, for example. ;)

Why retract? To maximize your insurance bill?

I can see wanting the retract for speed, but I'm a bit confused about the desire for tailwheel as well. That combination, along with wanting a sub-50-year-old airplane, does basically eliminate everything.

OP: Tailwheel, Retract, Newer. Pick two.

Back