Any POA'ers in the Area Please Advise

One Short

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Barb
I’m going to the Shortwing Convention this year in Hutchinson Kansas (June 25-28). I’m pretty good at reading maps but I’ve never been one for taking the straightest line between two points. :D So I’ve planned in 6 days to get to Kansas and 10 days to get home. Right now, it looks like I’ll head west out the UP, then down to South Dakota, over to Wyoming and back through Nebraska and Missouri to get there. Then I’m going to head down to the Big Bend of Texas and work my way back through the Gulf States and up the East Coast States to Virginia and back home by way of West Virginia. I might go the other way around if the weather says I should.

KMRF and T82 are pretty definite stops(on June 29 and 30 in some order), and somewhere near Vicksburg, then down to Pensacola to see my Dad.(Won’t see my Mom because she volunteered to stay at my place to watch the animals). I’d like to stop in at Sewanee, TN then skip around the north edge of Georgia and fly along the Smoky Mtns. Then across N. Carolina to First Flight. Then into Virginia and over towards Roanoke.

“Any traffic in the area please advise”

If anybody wouldn’t mind me dropping in on them then I’d appreciate it if you would email or pm me a phone number.

Also, if you have any recommendations on “must see” sights, I’d appreciate that.

Barb
rudder@ejourney.com

I am in Jefferson city Barb. Would love to have you stop by if you have time.

Mark B

When in Sewanee, stop in to see Catherine Cavagnaro and convince her to come to Gaston's this year.

Wow! Sounds like a wonderful trip! I hope you're coming to stay with us here on the farm! :yes:

Gosh, I was hoping you'd offer. What are you doing on June 24(Sunday)? No matter what direction I go, I was hoping to drop in on you then. I forgot to get a picture of the farm last time I was down.

I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and pretty much sound. So, have you started planning you next outing, yet? :D

Barb

I am in Jefferson city Barb. Would love to have you stop by if you have time.

Mark B

Weather permitting, anything is possible, Mark. Do you have a phone number I could call to get you if I get close? If I can get there it would probably be on the 24th also.

Barb

Gosh, I was hoping you'd offer. What are you doing on June 24(Sunday)? No matter what direction I go, I was hoping to drop in on you then.

Gotcha down on my calender. :)

I forgot to get a picture of the farm last time I was down.
Good enough reason to come back to see us. :D

I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and pretty much sound. So, have you started planning you next outing, yet? :D
Thanks! I would still like to finish the western leg route...maybe this fall. There are some special people I hope to visit out that way. :yes:

Barb,

Don't miss the first state! If your needing a break or just a stop over Mary and I always have room. We have access to a beach front in Lewes, just minutes away from KGED or the homestead here on the PA/DE line in North Wilmington (KILG).

Delaware....small wonder!

Sounds like a great trip, have fun !

Gary,
Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure I'll get that far Northeast but you never know. I'll keep it in mind.

Barb

What are you doing on June 24(Sunday)? No matter what direction I go, I was hoping to drop in on you then.
Hey Barb, the forecast for this Sunday at the farm is looking good! :yes: Do you have more of your route planned yet? Do you have a map of your route that you can post here?

Give me a heads up when you're in the area. We'll come up with something!

:)

Hey Barb, the forecast for this Sunday at the farm is looking good! :yes: Do you have more of your route planned yet? Do you have a map of your route that you can post here?
I don't know how to post a map but I'm leaving for the Apostle Islands, WI
tomorrow, then Wall, SD the next day then a swing through Wyoming and hopefully end up at Pioneer Village Minden NE on Saturday. Then to the farm by Sunday afternoon. I need to be in Hutchinson on Monday afternoon.:fcross:

Barb

Give me a heads up when you're in the area. We'll come up with something!

:)
That is a "Wilco". I'll try to give you some warning, Right now, I'm hoping to pass through about Monday July 2.
Thanks

Barb

you gonna get a Wall Drug bumper sticker for the airplane?

you gonna get a Wall Drug bumper sticker for the airplane?
Yep, and I was thinking about those RV state stickers too. I could put them on the cowl like kill counts. Five States and your a cross country Ace. I wonder if they stick as good as duct tape.

Barb

If you post a list of airport/vor/ndb identifiers for the route, I'll put a map of for you.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I'm starting out tomorrow so I'll try and get them to you next time I can get internet. It might be a few days.

Barb

Look at Peoria, IL. Ask Diana whether the study up here gets one, two or three stars. It's available.

I don't have a hangar for your bird at the present, though, as my Stu's in there with his Archer. But you're welcome here. See your PM.

I don't have a lot a great pictures (yet) but here are a couple of my trip so far.

Part of Sleeping bear Dunes on the MI side of Lake Michigan
Washington Island at the tip of Door County WI
The river that separates WI from MI just before it drains into Lake Superior
Sunrise over Lake Superior
Some rocks, I think I was in South Dakota but maybe North Dakota, Montana or Wyoming
Devils Tower in Wyoming

Barb

Attachments

• Washington Island.jpg
    Washington Island.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Michigan Wisconsin Border.jpg
    Michigan Wisconsin Border.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 26
  • Lake Superior Sunrise.jpg
    Lake Superior Sunrise.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Sleeping Bear Dunes.jpg
    Sleeping Bear Dunes.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Neat Rocks.jpg
    Neat Rocks.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 27
  • Devils Tower.jpg
    Devils Tower.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 27
Wow, beautiful pictures Barb! Looks like you've had good weather so far.

Wow, beautiful pictures Barb! Looks like you've had good weather so far.

Yep, I've had good weather, sort of. I had to dodge some rain in the UP that left a huge amount of hail in Marquette MI. Then I zigzagged across Minnesota and North Dakota to avoid that big convective stuff in MN and SD and some stuff in northern ND. I made it to within 30 miles of Custer SD then diverted to Gillette WY because of nasty looking stuff. When I checked weather again on landing CUT was reporting 31kt gusts.

It is easy to stay in good weather if you don't care where you go.

Here's a couple of weather pictures.

view out the window in the Middle of Lake Superior(Haze next to water)
Rain in the UP
Western North Dakota

Barb

Attachments

• Lake Michigan.jpg
    Lake Michigan.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Rain in the UP.jpg
    Rain in the UP.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Storms in ND.jpg
    Storms in ND.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 29
Yep, I've had good weather, sort of. I had to dodge some rain in the UP that left a huge amount of hail in Marquette MI. Then I zigzagged across Minnesota and North Dakota to avoid that big convective stuff in MN and SD and some stuff in northern ND. I made it to within 30 miles of Custer SD then diverted to Gillette WY because of nasty looking stuff. When I checked weather again on landing CUT was reporting 31kt gusts.
Oh, my!

It is easy to stay in good weather if you don't care where you go.
This has to go in the famous quotes section! :yes:

Here's a couple of weather pictures.
More great pictures! That haze over the water looks...well, it looks so...blank.

what an excellent way to avoid weather.
sounds like you are having fun Barb!

Yep, having lots of fun. Tonight, I'm at Pioneer Airport in Minden, NE. The manager gave me free run of the place, with the courtesy car. The couches are soft and they have wireless internet. (no cable TV though)
Tomorrow I'm going downtown to see the Pioneer Village museum.
There is a storm brewing off to the southeast that I think is going to miss me but a little rain would be OK--wash the bugs off the leading edges.

Barb

Just got back from the FBO at STJ where I met up with Barb.

It was very enjoyable meeting her; she's lots of fun to talk to and seems to be very adventurous. I hope we can meet again in the future.

Have a safe trip down Barb, and hope you have fun with Diana!

Well, we have some nasty storms in the area between here and there and she didn't make it through before they closed in. I'll just assume that she's parked somewhere safe for now till they pass.

It was very enjoyable meeting her; she's lots of fun to talk to and seems to be very adventurous. I hope we can meet again in the future.

Javier

I enjoyed the stop a lot also. Hey, I have an idea. If you go to Venesuela maybe we could get a plane and fly around Angel Falls. That would be too cool. If not, if you get up to Michigan, we could fly around Taquahmenon Falls. Not nearly as impressive but still cool.

Barb

Well, we have some nasty storms in the area between here and there and she didn't make it through before they closed in. I'll just assume that she's parked somewhere safe for now till they pass.

I spent the night on the FBO couch at Eureka KS. Not much of a shack but the couple that run the airport are really, really, really nice. He rebuilds tripacers and has two in his shop now. They gave me their truck to go to town and said I could have it over night to get a motel if I wanted. What did I need a motel for. I had a couch and a TV with one channel, what more did I need? :rolleyes:

I am disappointed I didn't make it to your house. I could smell ham and potatos from 100 miles out. Instead I had to settle for a Sonic Burger.:(

Barb

I thought I'd update my travels a little.
I made it to the Short Wing Convention in Hutchinson KS but had to skip seeing Diana because of thunderstorms in the area. Hutchinson has an awesome space museum and was worth the visit just to see it. I won a plaque for the person to fly the farthest to get there, 1975nm from Michigan to Kansas by way of Wyoming :D .
I left Hutchinson in less than ideal conditions with reported conditions of 700 OVC and 8 mile visibility but I think it was closer to 3-5. Got a special VFR and after about 30 miles the ceiling rose to comfortable levels and 30 miles further and the sky was clear.
I headed down to west Texas and spent a wonderful day with Dave Taylor and his wife and got a ride in the Bellanca. After a briefing from Dave on the things to see I headed for the Big Bend area. St Elena Canyon was an incredible sight and I found the mule ears mountain. This is some pretty terrain.
Then I headed up to Carlsbad NM to watch bats fly out of the Cave and take the tour of Carlsbad Cavern. What an experience.
Here are some pictures of some of the things I've seen.

Mount Rushmore
The Badlands of South Dakota
A thunderstorm just south east of Minden NE that was even more impressive when the sun went down
Santa Elena Canyon and the Rio Grande in the Big Bend of Texas
Up close with the Chisos Mountains in Big Bend
Chisos Mountains with Mule Ears in the Background
On the "ramp" at Terlingua Ranch just north of the Big Bend park
Two pictures of Carlsbad Cavern (I didn't fly down the cave-I walked, but I thought about it :D )

Barb

Attachments

• Mt Rushmore.jpg
    Mt Rushmore.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 11
  • St Elena Canyon.jpg
    St Elena Canyon.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Thunderstorm Minden NE.jpg
    Thunderstorm Minden NE.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Badlands SD.jpg
    Badlands SD.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Chisos Mts.jpg
    Chisos Mts.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 9
  • Chisos Mts and Mule Ears.jpg
    Chisos Mts and Mule Ears.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Terlingua Ranch Airport.jpg
    Terlingua Ranch Airport.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Carlsbad Cavern1.jpg
    Carlsbad Cavern1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Carlsbad Cavern2.jpg
    Carlsbad Cavern2.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 6
Latest update on Barb:

Barb is closer to the farm than either Tom or I are. She called to say she is spending the night in Aurora, MO and contemplating her options and the weather forecasts.

Barb, great pictures of your travels so far. Sounds like you had a good visit with Dave and Janet in Texas.

I hope you post your photos of the flooding in OK. It looks like the flooding will have far-reaching effects as the oil spill hits the water supply further south.

I just thought I'd let you all know I made it home. 61 hours in two and a half weeks. 50 different airports, most were new to me. And some awesome terrrain and neat people. It feels good to be home but now its time to start planning next years trip.

Barb

I just thought I'd let you all know I made it home. 61 hours in two and a half weeks. 50 different airports, most were new to me. And some awesome terrrain and neat people. It feels good to be home but now its time to start planning next years trip.

Barb

I often worry about others getting burned out on flying after such a long trip, but if you are already planning the next one, you obviously had a very good time with it.

Barb, I'm glad you had a great trip and that you made it home safely. :yes: Sorry you couldn't make it to the farm. Tom was really looking forward to meeting you.

I didn't get to see Barb on her trip, but I was the last one to talk with her on it. I was out on a 122.8 your yesterday. Every airport I landed at (except my home base) was on 122.8 for the CTAF. MBL, CAD, HTL, Y31, GDW, and 3BS. It would have been a good ConUS day, but *someone* already claimed all of them. LOL

I spent a couple hours at Barb's home base talking with the airport manager and a couple of guys that showed up. I'd never been in there before but we talked like I was there every weekend. I saw Barb's shirttail hung up in the FBO, and the very funny cartoon attached to it, and about 5 minutes after I leave I hear a familiar voice on the airwaves...
"Gladwin traffic Tri-Pacer 38D, 5 south..."
"Hey Barb, is that you?"

Barb

Alaska Caravan? I think that's my trip for next year.

Alaska Caravan? I think that's my trip for next year.
The Ninety-Nines International Convention next year is in Anchorage, Alaska, August 7 - 10, and Leslie and I are seriously thinking of flying to it. Heck, given the dates, maybe just leave from Oshkosh!

The Ninety-Nines International Convention next year is in Anchorage, Alaska, August 7 - 10, and Leslie and I are seriously thinking of flying to it. Heck, given the dates, maybe just leave from Oshkosh!

Problem: You have a 182 with 84(?) gallons of fuel, I have a Cherokee 180 with 50 gallons of fuel.

Back