Any pireps on w95 ? (Ocracoke)

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
Planning to fly there soon, it will be in a DA40. Only thing that "intrigues" me are the winds.. How strong does the wind actually get on an average day? Might go to KFFA before or after but was reading how winds are pretty strong a lot of the time.
Cant be much different at ocracoke?

Been into both. Winds at KFFA were a bit tricky with the trees on both sides because it swirled a bit below the tree line. Ocracoke had some crosswinds but they were steady and it made for a stabilized approach all the way to the runway. This was in a Columbia.

Ocracoke is a fantastic flight. Have been there three times now, no trouble with winds. Walk to the beach (about 300 feet), or walk into town (about a mile), or Howard's Pub will pick you up in a limo golf cart and take you into town.

Yeah, First Flight can be a bit of a handful. We sat and watched multiple planes land there and struggle w/ the swirling winds. My own landing was not my best.

Planning to fly there soon, it will be in a DA40. Only thing that "intrigues" me are the winds.. How strong does the wind actually get on an average day? Might go to KFFA before or after but was reading how winds are pretty strong a lot of the time.
Cant be much different at ocracoke?

When I had to scratch my OSH trip last week, I packed up my son and flew to W95 for the weekend. Sat morning, we went to FFA and returned before the midday thunderstorms fired up.

Wind was straight down the runway, not much of an issue. No weather reporting, windsock at W95 is next to the helipad.

- parking fills up quickly on Saturday morning.
- bring tiedown ropes, some spots only have the rings
- no night takeoff or landing
- no fuel at either W95 or FFA. There is reasonably priced self-serve at KMQI
- bring bug spray and hope that the green flies know what it is

Ocracoke is a fantastic flight. Have been there three times now, no trouble with winds. Walk to the beach (about 300 feet), or walk into town (about a mile), or Howard's Pub will pick you up in a limo golf cart and take you into town.
That was cool. When you hit the sound I thought you were headed out to sea, then the barrier islands popped up.

When I saw the thread title I thought the conversation was going to be about Windows95.

Back