Any Paint/Avionics/interior/MX shops in the mid-Atlantic area?

Brad Z

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Z
I'm in the process of planning for an engine overhaul over the winter. I've selected an engine shop, but I've got a long list of "while we're at it" type work to do. Basically:
-New firewall forward
-new prop (required for engine upgrade)
-new interior
-install Sportsman STOL and new LED wingtip lights
-replace all plexiglass
-paint new surfaces, plus general touch up
-upgrade or replace autopilot
-Install a G3X or pair of GI-275s
-new audio panel

If I can coordinate it, working on the wings and interior would be a good project while the engine is off getting overhauled. Doing avionics work is a good project while the interior is ripped out.

Can anyone recommend a good shop within a 6 hour drive of Northern VA to do all of this? Obviously good, cheap and fast is nice, but good is non-negotiable.

Thanks!

Several have good results from the paint shop. smoketown pa.

I doubt you’re gonna find one location that can get all that done.

Oh...and there's an engine shop at Winchester....and an avioinics shop (On Wing LLC) shares the same hangar. I've done a few transponder checks with them. I'd go there again.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know if you'll find a one stop shop.

There's Advantage Interiors at N71 and Lancaster Avionics, but I don't know anything about either of them.

I've had above average general mx experiences at S37 and would be comfortable with any major work there.

ESN has done my avionics work, will be going back again soon for repairs and while you're in theres.

It's been a few years, but I used Twin Lakes Avionics in NC, not too far from GSO. Ted recommended them, they did a good job. Robbie Greer runs the place, IIRC. They are a Garmin dealer.

They're about 6 hours by car from NoVA.

Several have good results from the paint shop. smoketown pa.

I doubt you’re gonna find one location that can get all that done.

Oh...and there's an engine shop at Winchester....and an avioinics shop (On Wing LLC) shares the same hangar. I've done a few transponder checks with them. I'd go there again.

i was thinking about Smoketown. There's a paint and interior shop on the field. Is the engine shop still at Winchester? For some reason I thought they moved/closed.

Good luck finding a place. You might try calling around to find out backlog at individual shops for each element. It may be quicker to get engine replaced at shop a and interior at shop c while waiting 12 months for avionics at shop b to open up.

Is the engine shop still at Winchester? For some reason I thought they moved/closed.
IIRC the shop is still there but Tom retired. I had my engine work done at Columbia.

There's PlaneCare up at HGR. They're a bunch of the old Alfin guys I think.

I did a lot of Avionics installations, including an autopilot at Sparkchasers in NC and then had a ferry pilot fly the plane to the paint shop BOSS. I did all my interior work myself with Airtex. Sparkchasers is very near an Amtrac station for a ride back after you drop it off.

Cliff Weaver at Circle W Restorations did my paint on the Sundowner. He has his own grass strip just west of York, PA. I was very pleased with the result, and he was reasonably priced. I drove up in the evenings and replaced my interior. Sounds like a Cessna. That's Cliff's specialty. He has done major restorations on all sorts, from 150s up. I plan on taking my 182 up there for at least VGs, and maybe a STOL kit. He will ultimately paint it, too.

Back