Any other pilots out there with IBS?

jfrye01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jacob Frye
Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old private pilot with irritable bowel syndrome. I was diagnosed two years ago. My IBS tends to go away for months only to relapse again. It is painful, embarrassing, and causes anxiety while I am flying, as I fear I will have the urgent need to find a restroom. Unfortunately, doctors have told me "it's just IBS, nothing you can really do". I want to fly bizjets as a career, but I'm afraid my IBS-centered lifestyle will not allow this. It is hard to not let it get to me, but I don't like the thought of my lifelong dream being ruined by a very uncomfortable disorder. I am planning to go to Oshkosh in July, but don't know if I should now. Does anyone else fly with IBS? If so, how do you manage it? Thanks!
Edit: I did not know how to make this confidential, can mods please delete? Thanks;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old private pilot with irritable bowel syndrome. ... I want to fly bizjets as a career, but I'm afraid my IBS-centered lifestyle will not allow this.
Don't log in to make your posts "Unregistered". Answer the random question before submitting.

This might help, FWIW: Drinking two cups of Starbucks coffee every day can cause similar symptoms. YMMV. :redface:

The paleo/primal diet guys claim their way of eating cures IBS. No idea if it is true and of course like all things diet and exercise they get a wee bit cultish.

Hello everyone, I am a 20 year old private pilot with irritable bowel syndrome. I was diagnosed two years ago. My IBS tends to go away for months only to relapse again. It is painful, embarrassing, and causes anxiety while I am flying, as I fear I will have the urgent need to find a restroom. Unfortunately, doctors have told me "it's just IBS, nothing you can really do". I want to fly bizjets as a career, but I'm afraid my IBS-centered lifestyle will not allow this. It is hard to not let it get to me, but I don't like the thought of my lifelong dream being ruined by a very uncomfortable disorder. I am planning to go to Oshkosh in July, but don't know if I should now. Does anyone else fly with IBS? If so, how do you manage it? Thanks!
Edit: I did not know how to make this confidential, can mods please delete? Thanks;)
No need for confidentiality, man, you're talking about stuff that is natural and you have no control over. I have posted about a lot worse for the same reason.

That said, I have mentioned before that years of New Mexican food have rendered the ol' poop chute a hair trigger at times, often painfully so and the hemorrhoids don't help.

I have found, however, that there is rarely an issue flying because you almost always have an option within 10 minutes, and while you don't believe it, 10 minutes is not that hard to hold, even when the gravy pushing on the donut.

You'll be fine. And you can improvise if needed, so long as you have altitude and a means of disposal nearby.

Thanks for the replies everyone, helps me feel a bit better about my "issue"...blue skies and tailwinds!

Too late for confidential now lol. Get yourself tested for a full array of parasites and intestinal flora. Find out what you picked up that is bothering your gut. Remember 80% of doctors are stupid (mentally lazy) just like the rest of the population.

Another thing, eliminate milk and dairy for a couple of days and see what happens. Lactose intolerance can come and go and it gives very irritable bowels.

FWIW: Both my Dad and my Nephew have had problems with IBS.
Their remediation was to go gluten-free and that seemed to clear things up.

((What the heck. You don't need carbs anyway --- go to a strict red meat diet)) :)

Remember 80% of doctors are stupid (mentally lazy) just like the rest of the population.

Mom started medical school when I was middle school age.

I was very disappointed when I saw the Merck manual and the big book of pills and put together that the Dr. sees you, leaves and comes back.

I was very disappointed when I saw the Merck manual and the big book of pills and put together that the Dr. sees you, leaves and comes back.

I think it is a good thing to review application and dosage prior to writing the script unless it is something they see everyday (of course).

IBS can be managed pretty well. There are a lot of things that are somewhat related such as IBD, Celiac, Colitis etc. Sometimes is just a change in diet sometimes its the elimination of stress ( or as much of it as you can) from your life.

Regardless on needs to be properly diagnosed to determine how to best manage the problem. If your not satisfied that your Doc says "oh well nothing we can do for it" Then seek a second opinion.

a family member had 20 years of debilitating IBS ... IBS was the label meaning "we have no idea what's wrong with you and we're not going to investigate any further. Live with it."

There was a place in Florida then (over 10 years ago) that did IgA blood test for food allergies and sensitivities (typing from old memory, but that's how I recall it). Family member got blood test results back and a wallet card listing 10 or so food item intolerances rated from 1 to 4, with 1 being Severe to 4 being Mildly intolerant. Family member has stayed away from all those items for a couple of years, slowly added the #4 items on occasion and has been symptom free while adhering to that eating plan. A love of clam chowder on vacation caused a severe bout of IBA within hours of consuming it. Clams were one of the #1 items.

Many of the items would have been impossible to identify with a food diary, as the product is in so many foods.

This test claimed that numerous allergens or intolerances cannot be identified by the standard skin prick test, but show up in the blood allergen test.

worked for my family member.

I have Chrons a form of IBS and I mange to fly. One thing is what meds are you taking? A few are not allowed by the FAA, I was on prednisone 20mg when I was learning to fly, went all the way through and received my PPL then 2 days later I received a letter from the FAA denying my 3rd class medical, after a few calls and submitting paper work I was issued a 3rd class with restrictions "I had to renew every year". I am no longer on that med. I manage mine with diet and exercise. I NEVER had a problem flying and having to worry about using a rest room. Of course I know where the location is of every rest room where ever I go. :):)

I was diagnose when I was 16 I am now 44. I have had a total of 12" of my small intestine removed from 2 surgeries. I take over the counter Imodium daily for a week then off for 2 weeks because your body will adapt to it. It took me a long time to figure out what I can and cant eat. Talk to a nutritionist they will help ALOT!!

Join a support group in your area.

Last edited:
I have Chrons a form of IBS and I mange to fly. One thing is what meds are you taking? A few are not allowed by the FAA, I was on prednisone 20mg when I was learning to fly, went all the way through and received my PPL then 2 days later I received a letter from the FAA denying my 3rd class medical, after a few calls and submitting paper work I was issued a 3rd class with restrictions "I had to renew every year". I am no longer on that med. I manage mine with diet and exercise. I NEVER had a problem flying and having to worry about using a rest room. Of course I know where the location is of every rest room where ever I go. :):)

I was diagnose when I was 16 I am now 44. I have had a total of 12" of my small intestine removed from 2 surgeries. I take over the counter Imodium daily for a week then off for 2 weeks because your body will adapt to it. It took me a long time to figure out what I can and cant eat. Talk to a nutritionist they will help ALOT!!

Join a support group in your area.

I don't take any meds for it, none help anyway...my biggest issue is intense nausea and pain, but there ARE times where I need a restroom. Luckily, when I'm flying, I don't have time to think about it, so my symptoms are somewhat nonexistant. It makes me think that in my case at least, my symptoms stem from anxiety ABOUT my symptoms. I had a colonoscopy two years ago which ruled out Crohn's, colitis, and diverticulitis. Nothing was found. My symptoms disappeared for two years, then seemingly came out of nowhere again about a month ago, although they seem to be less severe this time. I can't help but worry about being caught without a bathroom, which is my biggest fear...Mostly, it's a bump in the road, but flying eases my mind. Thanks for sharing your story, it really helps me to understand that just because we have chronic health conditions, we are indeed lucky that we can still slip the surly bonds!:)

IBS can be managed pretty well. There are a lot of things that are somewhat related such as IBD, Celiac, Colitis etc. Sometimes is just a change in diet sometimes its the elimination of stress ( or as much of it as you can) from your life.

Regardless on needs to be properly diagnosed to determine how to best manage the problem. If your not satisfied that your Doc says "oh well nothing we can do for it" Then seek a second opinion.

I am actually pretty lucky that my AME told me he did not believe in the "IBS" diagnosis, and that it is indeed a "cop out" for most doctors. He told me that it is caused by an underlying cause that is normally cureable, but that the underlying cause may be hard to find. I switched my diet last time, and that seemed to do the trick, and I was able to eat normal for two years, but with this relapse, that has yet to take effect. Hopefully soon, I miss my breakfast fly-ins;) Oh well, it COULD be worse!;)

Too late for confidential now lol. Get yourself tested for a full array of parasites and intestinal flora. Find out what you picked up that is bothering your gut. Remember 80% of doctors are stupid (mentally lazy) just like the rest of the population.
Yeah, that's fine...everybody I know already knows about it anyway:p And yes, that's true. Probiotics do seem to help.

Well, it happened tonight...flying home from PNC, had to divert to Strother...Now that it's happened and I realize it's not that big of deal, I'm not as worried about it...:)

Good idea! I also found another solution, figured I'd share with others that might have these issues: Green tea. It is rumored to help with colon health, and I can attest that indeed it does. I went to the local convenience store by the airport, bought a bottle of green tea, and finished about half the bottle. 30 minutes later, I felt fine...

Immodium became my best friend.. Before i fly, i drink or eat nothing, and sometimes take an immodium before i fly.. Besides the fact that I know that I have certain items I shouldnt eat or drink, since it makes it worst.. Like coffee, I know my problem is all in my head. I get in a place where i know i wont have a bathroom, i slowly begin to freak out. Soon enough I should be applying for jobs, any advices? Im thinking about going to a therapist.

I have had Crohn's Disease for 30 years. It has been moderate to severe even with treatment including a bowel resection. I started Humira a few years ago and it has changed my life. I was even able to get a medical and realize my dream of learning to fly. The point is that if they can treat something like Crohn's then they should be able to treat your IBS. I think you need to go see a gastroenterologist and see what they say. There are far more treatments available for IBS / IBD than 30 years ago.

Good luck and don't let it get you down.

Another thing, eliminate milk and dairy for a couple of days and see what happens. Lactose intolerance can come and go and it gives very irritable bowels.

Lactose intolerance is easily controlled with an OTC dietary supplement sold under the brand name "Lact-aid" and many store brand clones. One takes one pill before eating anything with dairy in it (including cheese); it is good for 45 minutes to one hour. It is a replacement action: As we age, our bodies produce less and less lactase, the enzyme necessary for humans to digest lactose. Lactaid replaces the lactase.

You can take Lactaid before every meal to rule out Lactose intolerance.

If you haven't guessed I am lactose intolerant....

Don, may I ask how long after starting the Humira did you see results?

I started seeing results fairly quickly. I was feeling better within a couple of weeks but I think it took about 3 months to get the full effect. After 3 months I was feeling better than I had at anytime within the previous 25 years. Only problem is that even if Humira induces remission, it cannot undo damage that has already been done.

The paleo/primal diet guys claim their way of eating cures IBS. No idea if it is true and of course like all things diet and exercise they get a wee bit cultish.
That is untrue and you are right to question it. Diet helps alleviate the symtoms by avoiding foods that cause the irritation. But once IBS, always IBS, there is no cure.

This test claimed that numerous allergens or intolerances cannot be identified by the standard skin prick test, but show up in the blood allergen test.
That is a great test, I agree. The skin test cannot product more than a few categories of food allergies and is pretty vague. The blood test offer much better precision and variety.

Don, may I ask how long after starting the Humira did you see results?
I know this question was aimed at Don let me just say that while Humira helps with IBS initially, it will eventually start losing its effectiveness and will become useless in the end. It is only a short-term solution, not a cure. Also, be careful with Humira since it works by shutting down your immune system. Catching a cold, flu or getting an infection from a splinter could easily turn into a big healty problem.

Lactose intolerance is easily controlled with an OTC dietary supplement sold under the brand name "Lact-aid" and many store brand clones.
Yes, Lactaid is pretty good but be warned that it only works on mild lactose intolerance. Individuals whose lactose intorelance is much more severe cannot benefit from lactaid and avoidance is the only solution.

All-in-all, elimination of irritant food groups from one's diet is the best long-term solution to IBS. And do not be surprised if the intolerance variety expands over time. IBS sucks but it is not the end of the world.

Be educated and be strong. And for crying out loud, go fly! It's Friday!! :)

I know this question was aimed at Don let me just say that while Humira helps with IBS initially, it will eventually start losing its effectiveness and will become useless in the end. It is only a short-term solution, not a cure. Also, be careful with Humira since it works by shutting down your immune system. Catching a cold, flu or getting an infection from a splinter could easily turn into a big healty problem.

Some people do develop antibodies to the Humira which will result in less effectiveness, but not everyone. I have been on it for about 5 years with no loss in effectiveness. It does suppress the immune system but the risks associated with uncontrolled chronic disease are far worse. Definitely not a cure but a remarkable treatment for some.

I am actually pretty lucky that my AME told me he did not believe in the "IBS" diagnosis, and that it is indeed a "cop out" for most doctors. He told me that it is caused by an underlying cause that is normally cureable, but that the underlying cause may be hard to find.

In the latest Skeptic's Guide To The Unverse podcast, Dr. Novella responds to an email taking him to task for saying Fibromyalgia was only "sort of" real.

But he mentions IBS and migraines and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as well, as definite complexes of symptoms for which no real cause has been ascertained.

Worth a listen.

There's a book called "the virgin diet". It's an elimination diet plan. I followed it for awhile and it cured my stomach problems very quickly.

My biggest problem is beer and pizza- my 2 weaknesses.

Not to get to gross but I was in my GI doc's last week, turns out I have fistula's. If you don't know what it is look it up, don't want to gross people out.

Well my doc wants to start me on Humira. I am still not sold on it. I was on Prednisone for 20 years so my immune system is shot already so I am nervous about taking something that will suppress it even more. The Doc's office is trying to get insurance to cover it.

Before i fly, i drink or eat nothing, and sometimes take an immodium before i fly..

I would be very, very careful about this suggestion. I use to do a brief fasting like this before flights out of fear of having an "incident" and one time started going into diabetic shock mid-flight (luckily, I was only a passenger at the time). At the time I didn't realize I was diabetic, so this was really unexpected. Luckily, someone else on the flight had some crackers & juice handy, so crisis averted but definitely am now less concerned with a bathroom incident vs something potentially catastrophic.

Not to get to gross but I was in my GI doc's last week, turns out I have fistula's. If you don't know what it is look it up, don't want to gross people out.

Well my doc wants to start me on Humira. I am still not sold on it. I was on Prednisone for 20 years so my immune system is shot already so I am nervous about taking something that will suppress it even more. The Doc's office is trying to get insurance to cover it.
It sounds like you have some form of IBD rather than IBS. Sorry to hear this, I hope you can find something that works.

Do you already have an SI for it? If not, might be a good idea to start working on it if you fly actively. Also, just to mention that any kind of IBS is apparently a special issuance. I have one for (believe it or not) IBS-C, which isn't the same thing as, and doesn't even remotely suggest the possibility of, IBD.

Although I have never been diagnosed with IBS, I have on occasion had issues that are very similar in nature.

Being older I have had quite a bit of time to figure out what my triggers are. I am definitely lactose intolerant, however I can consume a certain amount of dairy without an issue. Once I pass that line - it is pretty much instant misery. I am very, very careful to not cross that line. It took me a long time to figure it out, as I was able to handle some.

Stress can also trigger symptoms for me. This is another thing that I have learned to watch for the signs, and am able to head off any issues.

I avoid dairy, and flying is a great stress reliever for me, so I am pretty good in the air.

People don't like to talk about this subject, but you will probably find it is alot more common than you realize.

I'm not a doctor. But I used to sleep with a DO. When she wasn't sleeping with me, she used to prescribe Cat's Claw (Uncaria Tomentosa, uña de gato) for all manner of autoimmune and/or inflammatory conditions, including both IBS and IBD. We split up some years ago when she decided to depart for the jungles to look for cures.

To my knowledge, I don't have IBD or IBS. But I do have bursitis and rheumatoid arthritis, both of which have been kept at bay using Cat's Claw for about 20 years after other medicines like Tolectin DS stopped working. I have literally no pain in the affected joints any more. Best of all, I haven't had a cortisone shot in decades. Cat's Claw works for me. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about it.

Or maybe I do have IBD or IBS, but the Cat's Claw is keeping it at bay along with the bursitis and RA. Who knows...

Whatever the case, there's a ****load of research out there on Cat's Claw, most of it with regard to its anti-tumor properties. But there have been some studies examining its effectiveness for bowel problems. I suggest you use your favorite search engine to research them. And then talk to your doctor about it.

Here's Raintree's take on cat's claw; and for those who don't believe anything that hasn't been mentioned on Pub Med, here's what Pub Med has to say about it. You can also use your search engine of choice to search on "cat's claw IBS" or "cat's claw IBD." Then I suggest that you talk to your doctor about it.

Again, I am not a doctor. I'm not even especially smart. But I've had people with RA and the like literally kiss me for suggesting that they look into Cat's Claw, and I also know quite a few people who claim it helps their IBD / IBS. My own doctor also prescribes it for those conditions. He's a board-certified internist who did his residency at UMDNJ, not some quack with a mail-order degree in naturopathy. So I suggest you talk to your doctor.

One caution about cat's claw: It is a known teratogen, as are most drugs with anti-tumor properties. So keep it away from pregnant and nursing mothers. You should also talk to your doctor before starting to take it.

I've found NOW to be a reliable manufacturer of Cat's Claw. There are others, as well, but I use NOW.

Rich

Does anyone here take a drug called Viberzi for IBS and successfully received a waiver?

No need for confidentiality, man, you're talking about stuff that is natural and you have no control over. I have posted about a lot worse for the same reason.

That said, I have mentioned before that years of New Mexican food have rendered the ol' poop chute a hair trigger at times, often painfully so and the hemorrhoids don't help.

I have found, however, that there is rarely an issue flying because you almost always have an option within 10 minutes, and while you don't believe it, 10 minutes is not that hard to hold, even when the gravy pushing on the donut.

You'll be fine. And you can improvise if needed, so long as you have altitude and a means of disposal nearby.

OMG I'm cracking up over SkyHog's post. Love the terminology man lol.

Oh....that. :eek:

irritabelle-01.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back