Any one install Windows 8 Yet? How goes it?

I think most people in the know on MS have realized that Win 8 is a dead end after the departure of it's founder last month. Win 8 is an orphan now, and I wouldn't put it on anything that has a shelf life of more than a few months.

Departure? Fired by Ballmer you mean.

Departure? Fired by Ballmer you mean.

If you have info to that effect, by all means share. It looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, but only the ducks know for sure. MS official policy statement:

Ballmer, in a statement, said he was "grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company."
For his part, Sinofksy said he decided that, after more than two decades at Microsoft, and after shepherding the launch of Windows 8, it was time for a change.
"After more than 23 years working on a wide range of Microsoft products, I have decided to leave the company to seek new opportunities that build on these experiences," Sinofsky said in an e-mail to colleagues. "My passion for building products is as strong as ever and I look forward focusing my energy and creativity along similar lines."

If you have info to that effect, by all means share. It looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, but only the ducks know for sure. MS official policy statement:

Ballmer, in a statement, said he was "grateful for the many years of work that Steven has contributed to the company."
For his part, Sinofksy said he decided that, after more than two decades at Microsoft, and after shepherding the launch of Windows 8, it was time for a change.
"After more than 23 years working on a wide range of Microsoft products, I have decided to leave the company to seek new opportunities that build on these experiences," Sinofsky said in an e-mail to colleagues. "My passion for building products is as strong as ever and I look forward focusing my energy and creativity along similar lines."

Standard PR BS. Every fired exec for the last three decades has been described as "leaving to pursue other interests and spend more time with family".

No company risks a slander suit. They know how much money they handed the guy in his golden parachute, and how much it'll cost to fight his lawyers if he decides to spend even 10% of it.

And it's not even about making their lives miserable, or the money, which is what us peons think when we see legal bills that big, it's just about wasting everyone's time.

Counsel on the corporation's side is retained and not making any more money or less money for the company defending it, so it's just an annoyance play for the dearly departed, off to spend "quality time with the family", usually for the first time ever in his or her life. Maybe a nice trip to Aruba with the nanny watching the kids.

The tech media has it right... they also don't want a lawsuit, but even in today's "run the story without real fact checking" world, they know what's up from their sources, even if they don't cite them much anymore.

http://m.extremetech.com/extremetec...or-faster-progress,50aa6cde94f4be71692c264e/1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/13/microsoft-sinofsky-fired-windows-8/1702511/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...ided-windows-chief-sinofsky-was-too-divisive/

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Steve-Ballmer-Microsoft-Windows-Sinofsky,19099.html

All four of those sources above would openly trash each other if that story were wrong and they found proof or even logical fallacies in it. All four are large enough and connected enough that they probably do really have MSFT moles. Tech media is super-competitive. They'd kill each other to anti-scoop each other.

The aging thinkpad my wife had been using recently died so I decided to give her my 13" macbook pro and get myself a nice high end 17" Asus laptop.

Came with windows 8 on it, was supposed to have 7 on it but I got it cheap as an "open box" special and there were no more laptops available so I'm living with it.

First thing I did was to install a 3rd party app to get the start menu back. After that it wasn't so bad, I just ignore all the new "tablety" interface features. Still, after having been using mac or Ubuntu for 90% of my computing for the past few years going back to windows is irritating to say the least.

After the disaster that Vista was and still is, I moved on to Windows 7. I'm still getting used to 7. I'll wait for everyone to test Windows 8 before I drink that kool-aid again.

Back