Any Non-Passenger Charitable Orgs for Sport Pilots?

Vincent Becker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
vinnybecker
Sport pilot regs reference that sport pilots may not act as pilot in command of an LSA "in a passenger-carrying airlift sponsored by a charitable organization."

Is anyone aware of any charitable orgs that do non-passenger carrying airlifts that could have use for a sport pilot?

I do relocation for several terrier groups where we also get our own rescues. What started as "when you go to pick up your dog, can you take a couple with you (or bring a couple that had been adopted back)" became a retirement hobby. I haven't flown any, just driving trips with my wife.

Know that every rescue group will be suspicious of you at first, so start with one and develop a name. The problem is any number of people who "shortstop" dogs on relocation and sell then them.

Know that every rescue group will be suspicious of you at first, so start with one and develop a name. The problem is any number of people who "shortstop" dogs on relocation and sell then them.

Wow, that's a weird scam. Seems like the wrong combination of high effort, easy to get caught and low payoff... Weird.

I do relocation for several terrier groups where we also get our own rescues. What started as "when you go to pick up your dog, can you take a couple with you (or bring a couple that had been adopted back)" became a retirement hobby. I haven't flown any, just driving trips with my wife.

I have never understood the whole hauling dogs thing. The cost of many flights are more that the value of the dog. Now you say people are suspicious you may sell said dog.

Don’t get people stealing dogs and reselling, really don’t understand how crappy of a human being you’d have to be.

As for the cost, the point would be there’s no cost since pilots are volunteering the flight to move the dog from A to B. No cost for either party, other than the pilot donating time/cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never understood the whole hauling dogs thing. The cost of many flights are more that the value of the dog. Now you say people are suspicious you may sell said dog.

It’s not a paying operation, which would be illegal for ppls & sport pilots anyway. It’s a community service. Think of it as a $100 hamburger flight but with a purpose.

We recently spent a nice weekend in Lexington, KY., & brought back a lovely cairn from a foster home there & delivered her to an adopting family in Richmond, VA. No trouble to us, really.

There is a lot of this animal rescue business going on subrosa. Often rescue animals are put on flights gratis by airline or corporate flights deadheading on a relocation or maintenance flight. That’s particularly true outbound from disasters, like hurricanes (I was Mayor of Dog City on Guam as we handled the Clark AB, PI., evacuation after Mt. Penetubo blew. AF Families & their pets were evacuated separately, so it took some sorting & caring of animals).

During the pandemic rescue operations & pounds were cleaned out by people working from home & wanting a pet (sadly, those same people are now turning those animals back in as the return to the office). That shortage during the pandemic created a market for stolen or diverted animals. Customs & immigration dealt with an increase in pet smuggling during the pandemic.

There are non-animal volunteer pilot trips for Sport pilots. Type “volunteer pilot” into the YouTube search & you’ll find vids about pilots out west delivering PPE & Vaccines to remote Indian tribes & communities.

It’s not a paying operation, which would be illegal for ppls & sport pilots anyway. It’s a community service. Think of it as a $100 hamburger flight but with a purpose.

We recently spent a nice weekend in Lexington, KY., & brought back a lovely cairn from a foster home there & delivered her to an adopting family in Richmond, VA. No trouble to us, really.

There is a lot of this animal rescue business going on subrosa. Often rescue animals are put on flights gratis by airline or corporate flights deadheading on a relocation or maintenance flight. That’s particularly true outbound from disasters, like hurricanes (I was Mayor of Dog City on Guam as we handled the Clark AB, PI., evacuation after Mt. Penetubo blew. AF Families & their pets were evacuated separately, so it took some sorting & caring of animals).

During the pandemic rescue operations & pounds were cleaned out by people working from home & wanting a pet (sadly, those same people are now turning those animals back in as the return to the office). That shortage during the pandemic created a market for stolen or diverted animals. Customs & immigration dealt with an increase in pet smuggling during the pandemic.

“ Know that every rescue group will be suspicious of you at first“. I personally wouldn’t ever be a part of the dog hauling charity stuff because there a bunch of dishonest people associated with it. Heck you may haul a dog and get your plane stolen at the destination or robbed. The RNAV in the panel is worth a hell of a lot more than a homeless dog and I am the one that is the subject of suspicion?

Last edited:
“ Know that every rescue group will be suspicious of you at first“. I personally wouldn’t ever be a part of the dog hauling charity stuff because there a bunch of dishonest people associated with it. Heck you may haul a dog and get your plane stolen at the destination or robbed. The RNAV in the panel is worth a hell of a lot more than a homeless dog and I am the one that is the subject of suspicion?

Are you flying in Bolivia or something? Geesh.

There are non-animal volunteer pilot trips for Sport pilots. Type “volunteer pilot” into the YouTube search & you’ll find vids about pilots out west delivering PPE & Vaccines to remote Indian tribes & communities.
I'm trying to find out anything about LSA pilots doing things like this (delivering medical supplies rather than animals). Do you or does anyone else have any resources or information on this? Been looking everywhere and I can't find anything on Sport Pilot volunteer opportunities besides flying animals.

Rescue groups are the absolute worst to deal with. Just read their adoption 'contract'. Most of them want 24/7 access to you house for 'wellness checks'. When I was looking for a dog I read the contracts, and when I asked (multiple) rescue groups about this unlimited 'wellness check' clause they said ignore it. I told them no, its part of the contract and ignoring it was not an option. NONE of the groups would remove it (yet I was supposed to trust them???) so I never signed. Ended up getting a great dog from a local shelter that just wanted you to return the dog if you can't have it any more and ONE initial home check.

And don't get me started on the $600+ 're-homng' fee.

I've always been interested in delivering medical supplies by air as a volunteer. Blood, samples, or just other equipment that helps people in need. I might be limited to LSA rules only here soon so I'm looking for options in that realm, since Angel Flight would be out of the picture.

Rescue groups are the absolute worst to deal with. Just read their adoption 'contract'. Most of them want 24/7 access to you house for 'wellness checks'.

I've only experience with a single rescue org, but the only after-adoption clause in the contract was that if we decided we no longer wanted the dog, we had to first offer him back to their shelter--they had the right of first refusal. No re-homing charge, or anything.

As far as the dogs being transported being sold…

We’ve done a fair bit of animal rescue, fostering and transporting from N GA to NJ. There are loads of abandoned or surrendered dogs (and cats) in N GA, E TN and W NC, combined with a dearth of adoptable animals in NJ due supposedly to strict spay and neuter laws. We’ve made a handful of transports in large vans with up to 20 dogs in crates in the back. About a 14 hour drive with stops just for gas and snacks.

The dogs we transported had all gotten their shots, been spayed or neutered, and had vet checkups. And been fed by fosters. All of which adds up. The folks in NJ paid for the dogs we transported, and had adoptive or foster homes ready for them. They also had a location where the dogs could be adopted in a mall in Rockaway, NJ.

30719703343_76fa3090d9_c.jpg

At the time I think their adoption fee was $250 or $350, which as a non-profit I assume just covers their costs. Most trips they loaded us up for the return trip with dog food and treats and toys donated by local pet stores.

Anyway, animal transport is very rewarding and I think above board in most cases.

My dream is to be able to deliver medical supplies as a volunteer pilot, I am a PP but might soon have to fly only under LSA rules. Been looking for some opportunities.

I've only experience with a single rescue org, but the only after-adoption clause in the contract was that if we decided we no longer wanted the dog, we had to first offer him back to their shelter--they had the right of first refusal. No re-homing charge, or anything.
First hit for to adopt a beagle

https://bfp.org/rescue/

"You must be cruelty-free, meaning you do not use products tested on animals (pharmaceutical excluded). If you are not yet cruelty-free, you are willing to learn about and become cruelty-free."

Almost every product used on humans was tested on animals. Are you willing to give up almost every product you use for some wacko rescue group??

That was simply a random search... It gets worse if you look.

Rescue orgs are the worst.

First hit for to adopt a beagle

https://bfp.org/rescue/

"You must be cruelty-free, meaning you do not use products tested on animals (pharmaceutical excluded). If you are not yet cruelty-free, you are willing to learn about and become cruelty-free."

Almost every product used on humans was tested on animals. Are you willing to give up almost every product you use for some wacko rescue group??

That was simply a random search... It gets worse if you look.

Rescue orgs are the worst.

Why would I go searching for rescue groups whose policies I might not agree with, when I've got a wonderful one right near home? It was also chosen in a random search. Look around; they aren't all 'the worst', some are great.

Here’s the website for the NJ organization I referenced above. The application form is comprehensive, but no silliness like committing to be “cruelty free”. https://www.ehrdogs.org/

As an aside, two of our dogs were adopted from our local N GA Animal Control. Jake and Chowder were wonderful pets during their time with us - about 14 years each. I think the adoption fee was $40, and that was based on ability to pay. We also got coupons that discounted the requisite neutering for Jake and spaying for Chowder. It’s a great option with some wonderful dogs available, most of which you’d be saving from a cruel fate.

Jake and Chowder chilling in our travel trailer:

15021312783_8bc97bf191_z.jpg

I thought the FAA ruled that even flight time alone was considered “compensation”.
If someone else is paying (or helping pay) for the airplane / fuel. One has to at least pay the pro-rata share of direct expenses.

But there is the "In furtherance of a business." clause in the light and sporty guy rules that could come into play... And sport pilot does not have the carve outs for charitable, search and rescue flights, etc.

Last edited:
I thought the FAA ruled that even flight time alone was considered “compensation”.

Only when you inappropriately touch yourself during the pre flight security search. If it's just you, rubber gloves are optional.

I'm not sure anyone cares about whether the airplane/pilot is sport or not. But you should realize that if you commit, people are depending on you. If you can't make it because of being VFR only, your reputation with the group will be harmed.

Went to the SPCA for a barn cat one time. After going through their bs I turned to my wife and said, let’s go to the nearest trailer park. First group of kids led us to kittens. 10 minutes and $20 later we had a very nice barn kitten/cat.
As someone so correctly said, rescue agencies are the worst.

Why would I go searching for rescue groups whose policies I might not agree with, when I've got a wonderful one right near home? It was also chosen in a random search. Look around; they aren't all 'the worst', some are great.

That group was simply the first result on a random google search. I didn't look for it, most have similar goofy requirements.

Here’s the website for the NJ organization I referenced above. The application form is comprehensive, but no silliness like committing to be “cruelty free”. https://www.ehrdogs.org/

As an aside, two of our dogs were adopted from our local N GA Animal Control. Jake and Chowder were wonderful pets during their time with us - about 14 years each. I think the adoption fee was $40, and that was based on ability to pay. We also got coupons that discounted the requisite neutering for Jake and spaying for Chowder. It’s a great option with some wonderful dogs available, most of which you’d be saving from a cruel fate.

Jake and Chowder chilling in our travel trailer:

15021312783_8bc97bf191_z.jpg

Let me show you where you are wrong:

Eleventh Hour Rescue reserves the right to make periodic home visits for the purpose of checking on the health and welfare of the dog.

No, they don't have the right to do that. Since they don't state that they will make an appointment, or that you can refuse/reschedule, this means those nutters want 24/7 access to your property. Contract law is simple: Unless you specifically state they cannot do something, then that can do that thing.

Do you have a maiden name or different name(s) you have gone by in the past? If yes, provide name.

Gee, my childhood nickname or the pet name my spouse calls me is not their concern for a pet adoption.

Employer Name and Address:
Employer Phone Number:

Absolutely not. Its a pet adoption, not a a job interview.

List ALL other people living in the home and include the following FOR EACH: (1) Full Name, (2) Relationship to Applicant, (3) Age, (4) Phone Number, (5) Email Address

What does my wife/sons email address have to do with a dog adoption? What does the age of my wife have to do with anything? Or my son? And phone numbers? What do these nutters want with that information? It has nothing to do with adopting a dog.

VETERINARIAN(S): List the name, city, state, and phone numbers of ALL veterinarian(s) who have treated your current and past pets within the last 10 years. IMPORTANT: Contact the vet(s) and inform them that Eleventh Hour Rescue will be calling for a "vet check" and give your permission for them to speak with us.

I don't remember the last 10 years of my own doctors. I usually go to the cheapest pet clinic I can. And no, you don't need to talk to them other than for some sick power game these 'rescue' nutters seem to be tripping on.

Provide THREE (3) personal references. Please note that only one (1) reference can be a family member and that family member CANNOT reside in the same household as you. List only individuals who are familiar with your current and/or past pets.

lol no. Just no. Its a dog adoption, not a child. What does this prove? I can get 3 random jabronies from work to say yes to anything you ask them. Let me repeat: this proves nothing.

If your dog develops an unexpected illness or requires surgery, which can cost upwards of $5,000 - $10,000 without pet insurance, are you financially willing and able to pay should you opt not to purchase pet insurance

Wait, these nutters also what comprehensive and collision coverage on the dog? I'll put a dog down rather than spend $5k of my money. Its a dog, not a child. I have spent thousands on dogs... two knee surgeries, leg amputation for cancer, paralyzed larynx surgery... none were much more than $2k. But a $5k bill? Sorry. That's just not a thing that will happen. But these nutters want me to insure a dog? lol that's completely reasonable. lol

See how rediculious these items are? Thousands of dogs are adopted from shelters and they live happy lives. Some don't. But this 'rescue' is not doing much if they reject 80% of the applicants because of all these dumb rules they simply make up. Nothing here proves that you can care for a dog, or that you will do a good job. Its just nutter rescue's playing some sick game of God.

Let me show you where you are wrong:

Eleventh Hour Rescue reserves the right to make periodic home visits for the purpose of checking on the health and welfare of the dog.

No, they don't have the right to do that. Since they don't state that they will make an appointment, or that you can refuse/reschedule, this means those nutters want 24/7 access to your property. Contract law is simple: Unless you specifically state they cannot do something, then that can do that thing.

Do you have a maiden name or different name(s) you have gone by in the past? If yes, provide name.

Gee, my childhood nickname or the pet name my spouse calls me is not their concern for a pet adoption.

Employer Name and Address:
Employer Phone Number:

Absolutely not. Its a pet adoption, not a a job interview.

List ALL other people living in the home and include the following FOR EACH: (1) Full Name, (2) Relationship to Applicant, (3) Age, (4) Phone Number, (5) Email Address

What does my wife/sons email address have to do with a dog adoption? What does the age of my wife have to do with anything? Or my son? And phone numbers? What do these nutters want with that information? It has nothing to do with adopting a dog.

VETERINARIAN(S): List the name, city, state, and phone numbers of ALL veterinarian(s) who have treated your current and past pets within the last 10 years. IMPORTANT: Contact the vet(s) and inform them that Eleventh Hour Rescue will be calling for a "vet check" and give your permission for them to speak with us.

I don't remember the last 10 years of my own doctors. I usually go to the cheapest pet clinic I can. And no, you don't need to talk to them other than for some sick power game these 'rescue' nutters seem to be tripping on.

Provide THREE (3) personal references. Please note that only one (1) reference can be a family member and that family member CANNOT reside in the same household as you. List only individuals who are familiar with your current and/or past pets.

lol no. Just no. Its a dog adoption, not a child. What does this prove? I can get 3 random jabronies from work to say yes to anything you ask them. Let me repeat: this proves nothing.

If your dog develops an unexpected illness or requires surgery, which can cost upwards of $5,000 - $10,000 without pet insurance, are you financially willing and able to pay should you opt not to purchase pet insurance

Wait, these nutters also what comprehensive and collision coverage on the dog? I'll put a dog down rather than spend $5k of my money. Its a dog, not a child. I have spent thousands on dogs... two knee surgeries, leg amputation for cancer, paralyzed larynx surgery... none were much more than $2k. But a $5k bill? Sorry. That's just not a thing that will happen. But these nutters want me to insure a dog? lol that's completely reasonable. lol

See how rediculious these items are? Thousands of dogs are adopted from shelters and they live happy lives. Some don't. But this 'rescue' is not doing much if they reject 80% of the applicants because of all these dumb rules they simply make up. Nothing here proves that you can care for a dog, or that you will do a good job. Its just nutter rescue's playing some sick game of God.
Wow that's pretty insane. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why they would insist on such ridiculous conditions.

Pilots N Paws is great. You'll find that you end up getting to know 2-3 people who do a lot of rescue coordination and fly with them. During the depths of COVID last year, my airplane partner and I were doing flights at least weekly.

Some dogs have pretty hefty price tags. I'd be leery of flying a "rescue" French Bulldog or other small pure bred.

Don’t get people stealing dogs and reselling, really don’t understand how crappy of a human being you’d have to be.

There are some really crappy people out there.

Are you flying in Bolivia or something? Geesh.

Depending on the dog, you'd be shocked just how nasty that world can be.

Not public benefit flying.

My dream is to be able to deliver medical supplies as a volunteer pilot, I am a PP but might soon have to fly only under LSA rules. Been looking for some opportunities.

See
about 14:25 into the video...might just be in Arizona

See
about 14:25 into the video...might just be in Arizona
This is perfect and exactly what I want to do. It sounds like in at least the case of Flights for Life a Medical is required or at least BasicMed, but I just found out last week I am indeed good for flying under BasicMed as a private pilot so I should be able to do this. Thanks for sharing.

There are some really crappy people out there.

And a lot of them peddle in 'rescue orgs' helping pure bred dogs find homes. Most people who want a specific breed from a specific breed 'rescue' are paying $500+ for it. For another $100-200 there are plenty of hot-shot drivers that do pets. But as long as there are people with planes who think they are 'helping' the rescue's will take advantage of it. I mean seriously... with the money it costs to fly a dog to X you could simply donate that money to local shelter and do more good.

repeat after me: dog rescue groups suck.

$900 for a rescue french bulldog https://frenchbulldogrescue.org/about-fbrn/adoption-info/

Oh, and $10 just for them to even read your app.

So these people who love dogs, will walk past cages of dogs ready to be gassed to pick out the ONE breed they can then sell for $900. What does the county charge to adopt out a dog? $100?

Tell me again about all the 'good work' these rescue orgs do.

Last edited:
And a lot of them peddle in 'rescue orgs' helping pure bred dogs find homes. Most people who want a specific breed from a specific breed 'rescue' are paying $500+ for it. For another $100-200 there are plenty of hot-shot drivers that do pets. But as long as there are people with planes who think they are 'helping' the rescue's will take advantage of it. I mean seriously... with the money it costs to fly a dog to X you could simply donate that money to local shelter and do more good.

repeat after me: dog rescue groups suck.

$900 for a rescue french bulldog https://frenchbulldogrescue.org/about-fbrn/adoption-info/

Oh, and $10 just for them to even read your app.

So these people who love dogs, will walk past cages of dogs ready to be gassed to pick out the ONE breed they can then sell for $900. What does the county charge to adopt out a dog? $100?

Tell me again about all the 'good work' these rescue orgs do.

Not all dog rescues suck. I've flown dogs so disabled they had to be loaded into a cart to a rescue in RDD that just takes in dogs that no one else will. Lots of dogs off the streets of TIJ.

Here in San Diego County, I think my cat was even less than that at the Humane Society.

Give me one you think does doesn't suck and I'll take a look at it.... because they all have redonculious 'agreements'

if someone else is paying (or helping pay) for the airplane / fuel. One has to at least pay the pro-rata share of direct expenses.
Have you ever seen what the FAA requires in order to allow something as simple as fuel reimbursement? EAA applied for one to allow some fuel reimbursement for Young Eagle flights. They got one and said, "never mind" because it looked like "Part 135 Light." Even the tax deduction for operating expenses is "compensation," although one the FAA allows as a result of pressure from a US Senator. The only time "pro rata" may apply is if you and another person want to do the rescue together and the two of you decide to share the expense.

(Might be very true no one cares in this case, but that's different than the technicalities).

No. Arguably one of the more ridiculous compensation concepts it came up with, the FAA has ruled that logged flight time received from a third party in exchange for providing a service is considered compensation. an example here would be:

Here, you fly this animal and you can fly my airplane for free.

not

Here, you fly this animal, pay for everything yourself, and expect nothing in return from me.

The flight times in the first one is compensation because someone else Is "giving" it to you in exchange for providing a transportation service.

Back