Any meds to avoid after a heart attack?

Hi,
I read your post and wanted to let you know that my husband had a heart attack, followed by stent placement. We waited the 6 months following the procedure and started the process to get his medical back under 'special issuance' guidelines. After David (my husband) became totally frustrated with the draconian beaurocracy and the glacial speed for any response, he handed it over to me. I started by reading the regulation governing the issuance, then I faxed a document, signed by my husband, to the FAA and his doctor, granting permission for me to act on my husbands behalf and the journey began. First they turned him down for ANY class medical, which I appealed, then, over the course of 6 months, I called every few days becoming on first name terms with every single person working in the Special Issuance department and finally, they gave him a limited second class. I cannot tell you the phone calls I made, the documents I sent by registered courier (to make sure there was a signature on receipt) and the additional docs that were faxed directly to the department.

He was required to have a Nuclear Stress Test every year and 3 straight years in a row, the FAA 'lost' the entire package, (which had been FedExe'd) including the DVD of the procedure, requiring us to go back and get the entire package reproduced.

Eventually, I requested a full Second Class medical and I think, because they were sick of me......they granted it. Now all he has to do is a treadmill stress test every year to keep his Full Second Class Medical.

All the best,

Jane
besthealth4u@msn.com

Thanks Jane. That pretty much sums up what the guy I was talking to last night went through. He sent everything they asked for, they lost it. He sent it again, they sent a letter asking for more information. He responded, they lost it. He finally got a US Senator involved (Chuck Hagel), Senator's office got a response from the FAA... "We need more information".

This is why he's been flying as a Sport Pilot for the past several years. I want to try to avoid that BS if possible. I'd start now if I could, but I guess I can't.

There is a company called Virtual Flight Surgeons who know the Fight Surgeons at the FAA and if you pay them for their services, they are able to work with the FAA and get your medical back in a shorter time.

I meant that it does not go away when established.
I know, it was a rhetorical question. The point is, the Federal Air Surgeon would have been honored to have issued GW a First Class medical the day before his stress test, probably even made a little speech on the occasion as an example of how pilots should take care of themselves. So, the law is flawed--CAD is in all of us. Making it illegal to fly only if you find out, like GW, is wrong. If GW was a good enough risk the day before his stress test, he's a better risk now that he knows it and can make lifestyle changes.

dtuuri

There is a company called Virtual Flight Surgeons who know the Fight Surgeons at the FAA and if you pay them for their services, they are able to work with the FAA and get your medical back in a shorter time.
...for $1,000. And they can't issue the certificate. :( It's on the border of exploitative.

These things are actually very very simple, and are about $300 of work.

Last edited:
I had my stints done in 2005 and have had good checkups ever since. I have 9 hours under my belt and had my physical done last week. Dr. is sending my EKG and previous history in now. How long does it take for FAA to review and provide a response (approx) ?

I had my stints done in 2005 and have had good checkups ever since. I have 9 hours under my belt and had my physical done last week. Dr. is sending my EKG and previous history in now. How long does it take for FAA to review and provide a response (approx) ?
currently, about 105 days. If associated with a new exam, shorter.

But I've had authorization letters take a whole year.....

My heart doctor TOLD me EXACTLY what to take so I didn't have or wonder. He also said to hit the road, walk like my life depended on it......and told me what NOT to eat. He's one of the heads of the dept. at Hopkins. I listened very carefully. I take,........ToprolXL, a Statin and a baby aspirin daily. I am careful of portions of food, no alcohol, Dropped from 210 to 185 lbs. which he insisted on. ( 6 feet tall) I also realize everyone may encounter different problems with their ticker but weight seems to be a biggie. He ALWAYS puts the tape measure around my stomach.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back