Any Lufthansa Folks Here?

GarmAspen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GarmAspen
I have a flight scheduled to Europe on Sunday evening with Lufthansa. The flight will be to Germany and a connecting to Spain. Anyone know the situation with their negotiations?

From the Lufthansa website:

Pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) announces strike on 21 March 2015 for long haul operations
The pilots' union Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) has announced strike action on 21 March 2015, affecting long haul flights operated by Lufthansa. Short haul flights will not be affected.

Despite the strike, Lufthansa will continue to operate one third of the scheduled flights.

List of canceled flights here.

Wall Street Journal article here.

European strikes are usually only for a day or so; it is unusual that this one has extended to Saturday. Nothing said yet about Sunday.

Last edited:
Ouch, that is bad news when the strikes hit the long haul flights. Most other carriers won't have enough slack to pick up a widebody full of displaced and disgruntled passengers, especially now during spring break and Easter travel season.

Last spring I got stuck in Dublin for a day due to a French ATC strike. They were striking to protest the EU forming a pan-European ATC system... because the French ATC keeps going on strike. :rofl:

From the Lufthansa website:

List of canceled flights here.

Wall Street Journal article here.

European strikes are usually only for a day or so; it is unusual that this one has extended to Saturday. Nothing said yet about Sunday.

Thanks for the information and the links. Do you guys know how the city pairings go on long haul flights? Do they use the same plane and is it likely to be there a day before the return flight?

The reason I ask is that the flight from Europe to the city I am leaving from is already cancelled for tomorrow. Would this be the same plane going back the following day?

Thanks for the information and the links. Do you guys know how the city pairings go on long haul flights? Do they use the same plane and is it likely to be there a day before the return flight?

The reason I ask is that the flight from Europe to the city I am leaving from is already cancelled for tomorrow. Would this be the same plane going back the following day?

Most likely, yes. Hopefully Lufthansa can provide you answers before you leave the house.

Not sure what pairing you are looking at, as distance will matter in how they handle it. As these are long hauls, say FRA -> ORD, it turns on the ground at ORD in about 4 hours. I doubt LH would overnight the plane or deadhead, so would likely will cancel the pair. Note that they are not cancelling all long hauls, so it may be to your advantage to explore you connection options. FRA - ORD is not cancelled, as an example. But you can see DUS/ORD/DUS and MUC/ORD/MUC are cancelled.

Most likely, yes. Hopefully Lufthansa can provide you answers before you leave the house.

Not sure what pairing you are looking at, as distance will matter in how they handle it. As these are long hauls, say FRA -> ORD, it turns on the ground at ORD in about 4 hours. I doubt LH would overnight the plane or deadhead, so would likely will cancel the pair. Note that they are not cancelling all long hauls, so it may be to your advantage to explore you connection options. FRA - ORD is not cancelled, as an example. But you can see DUS/ORD/DUS and MUC/ORD/MUC are cancelled.

The flight I am on is Sunday evening. There is a flight (same aircraft type) that was supposed to arrive tomorrow at my departure airport (PHL). It is the same flight number as my return flight next Saturday. I was curious if this is the exact same plane as the one being used on Sunday evening for the outbound flight.

If it is, it appears my flight is already cancelled because the inbound has already been cancelled for tomorrow. Unless they fly it over Sunday morning.

I've been checking the cancellations, just not seeing anything for Sunday yet. Even if they haven't cancelled, it will be a zoo with all those cancelled flights trying to get on another flight.

Interesting did not know until seeing this...got a kid coming back from Barcelona next Friday...She likes the A380 they fly to Houston so we tend to use them...these things like someone said normally resolve in a day or two...lets hope...

At least Lufthansa has good customer service. Agents who can figure out by themselves what to do to solve a problem, and smile. It's a skill that was lost by their partner United. That's my observation flying both.

At least Lufthansa has good customer service. Agents who can figure out by themselves what to do to solve a problem, and smile. It's a skill that was lost by their partner United. That's my observation flying both.

I have long complained about the lack of legroom in coach on LH, but based on past experiences, I will never complain about their customer service. They excel in that area.

Back