Any Lightspeed Sierra PIREPS?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Been looking for a nice headset, came across the LS Sierra. Has everything i want, ANR, and "said to be comfortable". Can anyone give me some feedback on this headset as far as ANR goes compared to say the zulu 2's?

I like the one that I won in a contest. My wife uses it and is very happy.

Cheap, fast, good!

When I started flying, I bought a Zulu for myself and a Sierra for my wife. I don't regret the purchase, I think it's a very good headset. It feels just a shade more bulky than my Zulu, but I don't find it uncomfortable. The noise cancellation is quite good.

Completely satisfied with the two Sierras I upgraded to in my Sky Arrow.

Cannot compare them to the Zulu's, not having tried those, but they're perfectly adequate and get the job done.

Also check into their trade up program. My used and abused 15XL's brought $250 each in trade.

Last edited:
I have both the Zulu 1 and Sierras I'd buy Sierras again and the zulus.

I'm very pleased with mine.

Thanks! How do you feel the ANR is compared to other headsets? Thats the biggest buy or no buy for me, as that is what I'm wanting the most.

Don't forget to investigate the Quiet Technology Halo. To me as quiet as the Zulus.

And Shane from The Squawk Shoppe puts out a nice product.

Been looking for a nice headset, came across the LS Sierra. Has everything i want, ANR, and "said to be comfortable". Can anyone give me some feedback on this headset as far as ANR goes compared to say the zulu 2's?

Fine, I have both, no significant difference.

Thanks! How do you feel the ANR is compared to other headsets? Thats the biggest buy or no buy for me, as that is what I'm wanting the most.

ANR when compared to Passive ear cup designs is a world of improvement in both comfort and noise reduction. They require no where near the clamping force to be effective.

However as Mike points out, when compared to the Ear Bud systems like the Clarity Aloft (what I have as well, in 25 years and 4 planes of ownership, you collect a few head sets :D) or QT Halos, if you don't mind wearing ear plugs, are as good in noise reduction (with no scientific way to measure the minute difference there may be, I use fatigue at the end of a 5 hr leg or 13 hr day flying as my judgement point for effectiveness), and far more comfortable especially with glasses on. If you can't stand using foam ear plugs for long periods you'll hate them

Fine, I have both, no significant difference.

Not true here. First set of Sierras used to get "squeezy" after a few hours and found myself pulling them apart every couple hours to relieve the pressure. Zulus - never in hundreds of hours. Good enough for passengers I guess....

Give me a month. I just ordered two.

Traded in two 20XLc headsets that were getting long in the tooth. 'Twixt their "trade-up" program and a lot of sweet talking, I got two for the price of one.

I have pretty bad hearing, and was having a hard time understanding atc with my old David Clark's. Being based at a class c, that's a bad thing. I have no problem hearing with the Sierra's. I have a pair of halo, but not crazy about the in the ear style. I borrowed a buddies Bose to and felt like they were very similar in comfort and sound. I only wore the Bose for an hour, so I can't really say on long term comfort. The foam on the Sierras is very soft and squishy which I like.

Last edited:
Main pax headset is a Sierra. I've used it from time to time. Comfy, no complaints.

If you can afford the extra $ for the Zulu above the Sierra, the Zulu really is that much nicer of a headset. Also Lightspeed's customer support if you ever need repairs later is unparallelled in the industry.

Back