Any issues not flying for awhile on a newly issued SI 3rd class?

M

Mig17123

Hi everyone, apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I did some searching online and in message forums and did not find an answer.

After a couple years of back and forth I finally got a 3rd class Special Issuance recently and was/am ecstatic about it. I had originally meant to jump into an accelerated flight training program as soon as I had issuance, but finances are a little different than they were when I started my medical and budgeting $15k or so for a PPL is a little more difficult to swing at the moment.

I am wondering what the repercussions of NOT flying on my newly issued 3rd class SI are, if any. I have “checkups” scheduled with my monitoring HIMs AME and those are expected to be every 6 months or so. I would continue the SI monitoring check ups as normal and pay those costs, but am considering holding off on flight training for another year or two.

I’m just wondering if there’s any rule that states the holder of a medical cert must fly at least x amount of times within a time period, or something to that affect. I do not want to have to redo the SI process as it was difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for your help!

There is no rule that says the holder of a medical certificate must fly, but it is critical that you follow the instructions of your SI.

Do you want to fly for a living or a hobby?

Well for HIMS issuances for a Private pilot…progress through the ratings is considered a plus.

However, you can let it expire and if you keep testing, AAing (assuming it’s that and not anxiety-depression), re-entry later on is NOT painful……

Medical certs are medical certs, and are only dependent on your medical condition. There is no requirement to fly to keep a medical cert.

Hi everyone, apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I did some searching online and in message forums and did not find an answer.

After a couple years of back and forth I finally got a 3rd class Special Issuance recently and was/am ecstatic about it. I had originally meant to jump into an accelerated flight training program as soon as I had issuance, but finances are a little different than they were when I started my medical and budgeting $15k or so for a PPL is a little more difficult to swing at the moment.

I am wondering what the repercussions of NOT flying on my newly issued 3rd class SI are, if any. I have “checkups” scheduled with my monitoring HIMs AME and those are expected to be every 6 months or so. I would continue the SI monitoring check ups as normal and pay those costs, but am considering holding off on flight training for another year or two.

I’m just wondering if there’s any rule that states the holder of a medical cert must fly at least x amount of times within a time period, or something to that affect. I do not want to have to redo the SI process as it was difficult and time consuming.

Thanks for your help!
no, there are no such requirements.

Think about this - you could get your 8 year old child a 3rd class medical. That way when he/she starts flying lessons in their 20s they slide into Basic Med. I’m not addressing whether or not the law makes sense - just what it is.

Think about this - you could get your 8 year old child a 3rd class medical. That way when he/she starts flying lessons in their 20s they slide into Basic Med. I’m not addressing whether or not the law makes sense - just what it is.
Assuming no regulatory amendments.

Copy that. It would take an act of congress though ……

Thanks for your help!
Pay attention to Dr Bruce's (bbchien) response.

Back