Any ideas on what to do with old airplanes?

In a few of the airports here in Tampa, (Especially KSPG) there are some Piper's and Cessna's in a tie down outside just collecting dust. They are old but are just sitting there collecting dust. Nobody is using them and I feel it's a shame.

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with old airplanes just sitting there? Maybe some ideas I can submit to the FBO and find some use for them.

As always thanks for your input!!

Most aircraft manufactures never thought these old crates would be flying fifty or sixty years later and if millions of middle class jobs had not been shipped overseas most of them would now be beer cans. They usually disappear after someone dies or gets tired of paying the tie down rent. Usually , if tied down out side for any length of time they are done for. Tying a decent aircraft outside except when on a trip is kidding yourself. They depreciate quickly.

In English, plural's don't use apostrophe's.

Drive's me nut's!!!!!

/rantoff :lol:

Wasn't true when I went to school but was limited to acronyms. Got the style guide still here on the bookshelf to prove it.

It's been removed from the modern style guides though. And it makes things like UFOs look stupid.

But I'm sure those who used style guides even older than mine hated the switch from U.F.O.'s to mine, UFO's, as much as I hate losing that apostrophe.

PCs, CDs, IRAs, TRACONs they all look weird to me typed like that. Especially since I had one of those infallible tenured college types beat PC's, CD's, IRA's, and TRACON's into my brain by taking points off for not doing it.

Oh and yes, there's two damned spaces between sentences after a period too, damn it. Haha.

Oh and yes, there's two damned spaces between sentences after a period too, damn it. Haha.

That works well on a typewriter, but not on a computer. If the sentence and one space ends a line, being dumb machines, the computer will obediently put the second space at the beginning if the next line. So the line is the. Indented one space. Looks stupid.

Welcome to the 1990s.

Wasn't true when I went to school but was limited to acronyms. Got the style guide still here on the bookshelf to prove it.

It's been removed from the modern style guides though. And it makes things like UFOs look stupid.

But I'm sure those who used style guides even older than mine hated the switch from U.F.O.'s to mine, UFO's, as much as I hate losing that apostrophe.

PCs, CDs, IRAs, TRACONs they all look weird to me typed like that. Especially since I had one of those infallible tenured college types beat PC's, CD's, IRA's, and TRACON's into my brain by taking points off for not doing it.

If you spell out the TLAs, it makes sense to not use the apostrophe.

Last edited:
In a few of the airports here in Tampa, (Especially KSPG) there are some Piper's and Cessna's in a tie down outside just collecting dust. They are old but are just sitting there collecting dust. Nobody is using them and I feel it's a shame.

Ramp mummies? In Tampa Bay? No way... (photo courtesy of my home base, KTPF).
fa404dd758209b534f2658dda9c82d16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you spell out the TLAs, it make sense to not use the apostrophe.

Sure, and the apostrophe was not allowed when the words were spelled out.

Don't think it's very efficient to write out "Radio Detection and Ranging" though. ;)

Sure, and the apostrophe was not allowed when the words were spelled out.

Don't think it's very efficient to write out "Radio Detection and Ranging" though. ;)

You're missing my point; if you don't use it when it's spelled out why would you use it in an abbreviation? Doing that has helped to screw up an entire generation's spelling prowess; they think it's the correct way.

I'm just the opposite. I was taught that apostrophes were for contractions and possessive only, never for pluralizing. I have always written it as UFOs, CDs, etc. and always shook my head at UFO's, etc. Funny how we all are not taught the same way.

I was taught that apostrophes were for contractions and possessive only, never for pluralizing. I have always written it as UFOs, CDs, etc. and always shook my head at UFO's, etc. Funny how we all are not taught the same way.

You were taught correctly. No apostrophes for pluralization.

Does anybody have any ideas on what to do with old airplanes just sitting there? Maybe some ideas I can submit to the FBO and find some use for them.

As always thanks for your input!!
what precisely do you want to do with someone else's property? And why is it any of your concern?

what precisely do you want to do with someone else's property? And why is it any of your concern?
It could be your concern if they're willing to sell and you're willing to pay.

Back