Any Hunters in Here?

The Ruger American seemed decent, but there were some complaints about the magazine being flimsy/finicky. The American Hunter version uses a Magpul stock with Magpul receiver/magazine which solves those complaints, in addition to the upgraded barrel and trigger set. Most of the Tikka T3 variants are closer to $850, and the ones that compete with the American Hunter model for capacity/barrel are $1,200+. As with many things, the quality control and detail you get from the Tikka is what makes up the cost difference (and undoubtedly a smoother action), imo. I suppose it's nice to have so many options for rifle choices, lol.

View attachment 118941
My first Tikka 15 years ago, a lot of people complained that they wouldn't trust the "cheap" plastic mags that came with it. Never had a problem. Neither with my Ruger. Just have to have make sure you seat it square. You just can't slap it in like an AR mag, and you shouldn't need to anyways.

Time for better scenery

My 6.5x55. Traded a bottle of decent bourbon to a friend for the action, off to Mark Penrod for lots of metal work, three position safety and cock on close, wenigs for the wood, negc sights but with a 4x scope (German #4 reticle of course) it shoots 3/4” three shot groups with 120 gr ballistic tips over Varget.

OBaYeqa.jpg

Time for better scenery

My 6.5x55. Traded a bottle of decent bourbon to a friend for the action, off to Mark Penrod for lots of metal work, three position safety and cock on close, wenigs for the wood, negc sights but with a 4x scope (German #4 reticle of course) it shoots 3/4” three shot groups with 120 gr ballistic tips over Varget.

OBaYeqa.jpg

Very very nice! What do you use it for?

+1 for the Remington 700. You might look into the 7MM-08. It’s a 308 necked down to a 7mm round. Very flat, flatter than the 308, better range, and lower recoil. Incredible round - lots of versatility.

+1 for the Remington 700. You might look into the 7MM-08. It’s a 308 necked down to a 7mm round. Very flat, flatter than the 308, better range, and lower recoil. Incredible round - lots of versatility.
7mm-08 is a great round. One of my Tikkas is in that caliber.

One more update. The governor (King Jay) signed another idiot bill (pushed by our idiot AG) that outlawed the sale or purchase of semi-automatic "assault rifles" and the law lists them by name. So forget about moving to this state (of insanity) until that bill is struck down as unconstitutional if you possess any of the currently prohibited rifles. And it's not just what you think, even the M1A is on the list. I'm firmly convinced that the legislature in this state is run by people who hate the US and state constitutions.

I would imagine the law will be immediately challenged and I really don't see how any rational person would think it would be constitutional.

Time for better scenery

Beautiful gun! My father has a 6.5x55 SM on a Mannlicher stock. Mom dropped many Texas whitetail with it back in the day. I cut my teeth in NRA F-class 600/1000yd competition with a 6.5x55 Ackley Improved running a 142gr custom target bullet. Solid long range performer in lighter winds.

I would imagine the law will be immediately challenged and I really don't see how any rational person would think it would be constitutional.

Agreed. But challenges can take many years and be very expensive. A state can run out the clock or your bank account.

Agreed. But challenges can take many years and be very expensive. A state can run out the clock or your bank account.
Isn’t there some preliminary kind of injunction that would delay the law taking effect until the case is decided?

One more update. The governor (King Jay) signed another idiot bill (pushed by our idiot AG) that outlawed the sale or purchase of semi-automatic "assault rifles" and the law lists them by name. So forget about moving to this state (of insanity) until that bill is struck down as unconstitutional if you possess any of the currently prohibited rifles. And it's not just what you think, even the M1A is on the list. I'm firmly convinced that the legislature in this state is run by people who hate the US and state constitutions.
Aero Precision is one of the most popular component manufacturers for AR15/AR10 rifles. They are based in WA and can't even ship the stuff they make to people in their state due to the wackos in Congress there.

Aero Precision is one of the most popular component manufacturers for AR15/AR10 rifles. They are based in WA and can't even ship the stuff they make to people in their state due to the wackos in Congress there.

One of the biggest reasons Weatherby decided to move from CA to WY - including relocating their machinists. They looked around and realized their taxes were feeding the machine that was fighting against their business at every turn (my paraphrase of what I read/heard in interviews - not their words directly).

Ok, I have a gun shop that sells around 2500 guns a year, I am the opposite as far as forums go, I mostly hang out on gun forums.

The Ruger American 308 is an excellent choice. You can get them packaged with a Vortex Crossfire scope for around $680ish. That will handle all your needs.

Some of the posts above are laughable. The 30-06 is not overkill for deer, it's probably a top 5 deer caliber nationwide. You don't need a semi auto to hunt them but an AR-10 is nice for follow up shots but they are more expensive to set up with scope and are way heavier than a bolt gun.

6.5 Creedmoor is also a good option and is available in the same package gun from ruger.

Ok, I have a gun shop that sells around 2500 guns a year, I am the opposite as far as forums go, I mostly hang out on gun forums.

The Ruger American 308 is an excellent choice. You can get them packaged with a Vortex Crossfire scope for around $680ish. That will handle all your needs.

Some of the posts above are laughable. The 30-06 is not overkill for deer, it's probably a top 5 deer caliber nationwide. You don't need a semi auto to hunt them but an AR-10 is nice for follow up shots but they are more expensive to set up with scope and are way heavier than a bolt gun.

6.5 Creedmoor is also a good option and is available in the same package gun from ruger.
I agree fully. I did shoot 4 or 5 rounds of 6.5cr at the range about a year ago with a Savage Axis w/scope that came with it. Didn't have much recoil with the 6.5cr and shots were all pretty closely on target, but it was a 50yd bay so I wouldn't expect much different. I just liked the Ruger American Hunter because it had the Magpul stock and magazine as well as a threaded barrel w/muzzle brake (or ability to add a suppressor). Also has the rail for bipod attachment as well, should I want that option when hunting.

Back