Any Garmin GDL 39 Users?

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Been hearing people praise the virtues of Stratus and the like. As I have a panel mounted Garmin 696, I suppose the GDL 39 is the equivalent equipment. Just wondering how people like them. Any issues? Traffic and weather reliable? Any other cool features I don't know about? I'm not really a fan of tablets and such in the cockpit, and I don't do Apple, so no ForeFlight for me.

Gimme the skinny.

I have a GDL 39 3D and it has been trouble free over the 3 years I’ve owned it. I have it hardwired to my EFIS and to the plane’s electrical system. I connect to my iPad (running GarminPilot) via BT. No issues receiving weather and traffic.

I have one, it's been trouble free. Looking to sell soon as I move to a GTX345.

I've had a GDL39-3D hard wired in my Cessna to support Garmin Pilot and to provide ADHRS for synthetic vision for a few years. It works great. My new G3X Touch has a GDL39R installed for ADS-B in. The 39, 39-3D, and 39R have been replaced by the GDL50 and 50R. Sadly the 50R isn't a plug and play replacement for the 39R. :( The 39R doesn't have ADHRS where the 50R does. Probably no big deal. The GDL52 has everything incl ADHRS plus an XM receiver. For you lower 48 guys that'd be a pretty cool tool.

I have a -39-3D that I've used in various aircraft types and have flown coast to coast on 10+ occasions and a whole lot more short(er) cross country trips. So far, it has worked great, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Cool. Thanks for the responses. I looked at the 39R because I like the idea of having it tucked somewhere out of the way, but it costs more, which I don't like. I was wondering if one can pull the antenna off of the regular one, run a cable to a remote antenna, and tuck the reciever behind the panel or something. I don't think I have any use for the bluetooth right now as I don't carry a tabletx but I suppose I might someday. I'd also need to hook it up to ships power somehow. Do they make a bare wire fused power cable like the 696, or would I need to install a power socket?

What device will you use to translate the information? The 39 and 39-3D transmit bluetooth. That's how you get the information to whatever device you're adding it for. They come with a cigar lighter plug. Clip it and wire it in. Not difficult. On with the master, off with the master. I've never looked at removing the antenna. Mine sits on the glare shield and I don't notice it there. In the other plane my 39R uses a remote antenna and d-sub connector and is wired into the G3X, which also transmits info for my iDevices. I'd rather have the 50R for redundant ADHRS but not enough to rewire my G3X.

What device will you use to translate the information? The 39 and 39-3D transmit bluetooth. That's how you get the information to whatever device you're adding it for. They come with a cigar lighter plug. Clip it and wire it in. Not difficult. On with the master, off with the master. I've never looked at removing the antenna. Mine sits on the glare shield and I don't notice it there. In the other plane my 39R uses a remote antenna and d-sub connector and is wired into the G3X, which also transmits info for my iDevices. I'd rather have the 50R for redundant ADHRS but not enough to rewire my G3X.

The 39 can be hardwired just like the 39R—see post #2.

I would connect to my 696 via power/data cable.

P.S. What the heck is ADHRS?

Last edited:
Here are some random musings:
  • (Comments regarding GDL39 not being supported by Foreflight removed. Foreflight does support the GDL-39 products)
  • Garmin Pilot also runs on Android so some cheaper options for tablets and most all Androids have built in GPS which is a good backup of the GDL39 stops working.
  • The AHRS give pitch & roll and all that other technical stuff to give you Synthetic Vision
  • If you want Synthetic Vision, it will render faster and smoother on the later iPads (think mini 4) version of Garmin Pilot (vs the Android version).
  • I have seen at least one GDL39 mounted on the panel. The base of the unit can receive the GPS. This person then removed the stuff antennae and mounted the optional wind antennae for the GBT. And then they ran the power cable down to their panel and added a switch and breaker. I thought I looked okay and basically they avoided running any antennas outside of the plane. I think the left the battery in place so it then has a backup too.
  • The first time you use it, you might not notice weather right away but it does update. It is actually quite nice.
  • You will see traffic right away, even sitting at home without ADSB. That's big guys blurting out their position.
  • You will see ADSB out traffic but only if you are in their volume or puck.
  • When the unit is up on the Glare shield it can run pretty hot.
  • I like the portable in that I can turn it on at our local Delta and use it on the ground to learn it, etc.
  • I found a nice used GDL39-3D and about a week after getting I noticed the GDL5x series.
  • The GD5x series have two distinct advantages: The internal battery rated for longer than the GDL39 battery. And the GDL5x looks like it can be charged via the USB where the GDL39 can only be charged via the 12vdc cig lighter.
  • I see the GDL5x series are gray, not black so probably a bit cooler in the direct sunlight.
  • If you want a GDL39-3D, I am planning on selling our for the GDL5x series as we're keeping ours portable and I'd prefer a better battery and USB charging option.

Last edited:
I've had the 39 for awhile and I quite like it, no problems at all. Traffic and weather both reliable. I use it with Garmin Pilot and an Android tablet (iOS not required); I've also used it with an iPad in the past, and it seems to run fine with either.

If you leave it on the glare shield it can get hot enough to make me think "maybe I shouldn't do that." I do live in Arizona. so your mileage may vary.

I find the included battery to be inadequate, capacity-wise, for XC trips, so be prepared to dedicate the cigarette lighter to it if you're going to do more than go practice for an hour.

• As of now the Garmin ADSB in devices will work on a iPad but only the Garmin Pilot iOS app.
  • If you do plan on using Fore flight (which only runs on iPad) then this is not the device for you.
  • Garmin Pilot also runs on Android so some cheaper options for tablets and most all Androids have built in GPS which is a good backup of the GDL39 stops working.
  • The AHRS give pitch & roll and all that other technical stuff to give you Synthetic Vision
  • If you want Synthetic Vision, it will render faster and smoother on the later iPads (think mini 4) version of Garmin Pilot (vs the Android version).
  • I have seen at least one GDL39 mounted on the panel. The base of the unit can receive the GPS. This person then removed the stuff antennae and mounted the optional wind antennae for the GBT. And then they ran the power cable down to their panel and added a switch and breaker. I thought I looked okay and basically they avoided running any antennas outside of the plane. I think the left the battery in place so it then has a backup too.
  • The first time you use it, you might not notice weather right away but it does update. It is actually quite nice.
  • You will see traffic right away, even sitting at home without ADSB. That's big guys blurting out their position.
  • You will see ADSB out traffic but only if you are in their volume or puck.
  • When the unit is up on the Glare shield it can run pretty hot.
  • I like the portable in that I can turn it on at our local Delta and use it on the ground to learn it, etc.
  • I found a nice used GDL39-3D and about a week after getting I noticed the GDL5x series.
  • The GD5x series have two distinct advantages: The internal battery rated for longer than the GDL39 battery. And the GDL5x looks like it can be charged via the USB where the GDL39 can only be charged via the 12vdc cig lighter.
  • I see the GDL5x series are gray, not black so probably a bit cooler in the direct sunlight.
  • If you want a GDL39-3D, I am planning on selling our for the GDL5x series as we're keeping ours portable and I'd prefer a better battery and USB charging option.

Thanks for your musings ;)

Tablet use of any kind with the 39 is very unlikely, at least for now. As a VFR only pilot, the 696 does everything I need and then some in a neat package in the panel. IF at some point I use a tablet, it'll definitely be Android.
AHRS is not important. I don't believe the 696 supports Synthetic Vision anyway.
Ideally, I'd like to mount the unit somewhere hidden and put the antenna in an inconspicuous spot. Not mandatory, just preference. Portability is not important.
Ideally, I'd like to hard wire to ships power behind the panel for a clean install with no exposed wires. In this kind of installation, is the battery necessary? Can it run straight on ships power or do you have to keep the battery charged with ships power?
My main interest in the 39 if for weather, and traffic secondarily. That being the case, I guess I have no use for the 3D version, and I don't want to spend the extra coin to get it.
Money matters, so really I'm most interested in the cheapest way to get WX and traffic into my existing 696 box.

I have GDL hard wired to ship power and a 696 that is panel docked. I like the combination because it's all powered the whole time and the batteries are there for back up.

Traffic, weather, and XM music via the other antenna.

I have GDL hard wired to ship power and a 696 that is panel docked. I like the combination because it's all powered the whole time and the batteries are there for back up.

Traffic, weather, and XM music via the other antenna.

That's what I'm looking for. I thought you might be set up that way. Are you just wired into the master switch? Do you have the GDL on the dash or elsewhere?

It's wired to the avionics master switch, and yes, the GDL presently sits on the glare shield, but I'm probably going to fashion a tray so that only antenna is visible. Although it's not visible to me behind the LRI and doesn't seem to bother right seat view either. The XM antenna already sits out of view when the canopy closes.

Okie Flier has first dibs, but if not, I'd be interested. I just purchased an airplane that has a Stratus ESG transponder + Stratus 2i combo. But, I plan to swap the Stratus 2i with a GDL39-3D. The reasoning is that I also have a panel docked Garmin Aera that's incompatible with the Stratus 2i. The GDL39-3D would give me compatibility with my docked Aera as well as my iPad running ForeFlight. The Stratus 2i is only ForeFlight compatible. It's basically a Stratus 2s w/o battery and hardwired to the transponder and ship power.

If anyone's interested in the Stratus 2i, perhaps we can work out a deal that gets us where we all want to be.

Thanks
John

I've read the GDL50 series won't support Foreflight but that was internet chatter, not verified. Does the GDL39 series continue to support Foreflight? I wonder why either company would make the 50 series incompatible. It doesn't serve either party well to do so.

Not sure, but I'm fairly certain the GDL39-3D continues to support both. I've also read GDL50 series only supports Garmin stuff and not ForeFlight. I'd guess ForeFlight would be willing to support the GDL50 series, but no idea if Garmin would block it. ForeFlight is already willing to work in a bubble by only supporting ForeFlight with their Stratus, so maybe Garmin is doing the same?

Heck, I wonder why Garmin didn't make the 50R plug and play with the 39R connector. That was a miss that will cost them sales. I'm sure they have reasons for the things they do.

FltPlan Go says they support the GDL 50 and 52 for ADS-B(but not the 51 because it has no ADS-B but can still be used for GPS and AHRS) so it sounds like a Foreflight issue rather than a Garmin issue.

Interesting. Would be nice to have a GDL-50 if ForeFlight supported it too.

Thanks for your musings ;)

Ideally, I'd like to hard wire to ships power behind the panel for a clean install with no exposed wires. In this kind of installation, is the battery necessary? Can it run straight on ships power or do you have to keep the battery charged with ships power?
Sorry for the late reply, was traveling for work and no time for PoA!!!

In the plane, I have never tried it without the battery. However, using the included charging cable I have plugged it into the GL-39 without the battery and it powers up and connects just fine. And in the installation I mentioned seeing, they did not have the battery there. I suppose leaving the battery there would provide a nice degree of backup if you lost ships power and had a tablet or other garmin battery based display device.

@Sinistar How much you want fer that there 39?
Since its a GDL-39 3D + battery I'm thinking $580. That covers UPS shipping with insurance and tracking number. I believe I still have the original box. It also comes with the thin black plate which can be screwed/bolted onto to something and then either the unit or unit+battery clips into it. You could mount just the unit and later mount unit+battery and its the same connector. It comes with a 120vac wall charger and a cigarette lighter charger. If you are going to wire to ship's power, maybe you could just cut off the cig adapter end? Oh yeah, it also has the soft case.

I see the 3D versions going for about $600 on E-Bay but that's not counting shipping or a battery. There is usually a GDL-39 3D with battery for over $700. I did see a few GDL-39 (non-3D), no box, no battery, barebones, etc which should sell under $500 which could save you some $$$

Okie Flier has first dibs, but if not, I'd be interested.[/QUOTE] Works for me!​

Since its a GDL-39 3D + battery I'm thinking $580. That covers UPS shipping with insurance and tracking number. I believe I still have the original box. It also comes with the thin black plate which can be screwed/bolted onto to something and then either the unit or unit+battery clips into it. You could mount just the unit and later mount unit+battery and its the same connector. It comes with a 120vac wall charger and a cigarette lighter charger. If you are going to wire to ship's power, maybe you could just cut off the cig adapter end? Oh yeah, it also has the soft case.

I see the 3D versions going for about $600 on E-Bay but that's not counting shipping or a battery. There is usually a GDL-39 3D with battery for over $700. I did see a few GDL-39 (non-3D), no box, no battery, barebones, etc which should sell under $500 which could save you some $$$

Yeah, I could probably snatch a bare bones one for $300-$400. Definitely cheaper. I'd hate to short myself on capability, but I honestly don't see myself really using the AHRS. Then again, if I used it, I may love it.

This isn't to sell you on the AHRS, rather just the places I've found it to be interesting:

It's fascinating how accurate it is, especially when taking off and landing.

In no way is it SynVisn worthy of a instrument approach :frown2:

But it does get the attention of passengers. Even more fun with traffic ahead.

In the 182, the panel is pretty tall so kids (my daughter) like to use it to fly since our tablet is mounted in the center of the panel and easier to see than the pilot side instruments. And kids seem to really dig it, partly because it's a tablet and partly because it's a modern looking flight display.

Sometimes I screen record and then watch it later to see what the landing approach was like. This is the one place where the iPad beats the Android, it renders the scene faster. Except I hate the iPad screen recorders, no nice options like the Android.

Kinda fun to get a poor man's first experience of what a glass SynViz might be like.

Interesting comparing it to the AI during steep turns. I think I can hit my wake easier with this display available.

Running a 8in tablet I don't like to split the moving map and SynViz so the SynViz (AHRS) is only used periodically, with passengers, etc.

If someone thought it would save them coming down thru low clouds to find a runway at the last minute they would be dangerously wrong...the update rate is not live video like and I've noticed the most complicated rendering seems to be near landing where it stutters a bit. Definitely not the time for a 2 second screen update.

Bottom line...it's fun, interesting and kind of useful. But not IR worthy. My wife might use it for some young eagles flights later this summer.

Resurrecting this old thread...

Flew a VFR practice approach today with just using the synthetic vision on my iPad mini 4 connected via bluetooth to the GDL 39 3D. Every two to three minutes, Garmin Pilot would lose GPS position and the display would hang, then whiplash back to where it's supposed to be.

Anyone see this happen before??

That aside, WOW is it sure nice to fly an approach with that display. With the iPad in portrait mode, I had the map with chart overplayed on the top half, and the synthetic vision on the bottom half. Easy peasy, especially with straight in approaches- just head for the little white box with the airport identifier and you're headed straight for it!

Resurrecting this old thread...

Flew a VFR practice approach today with just using the synthetic vision on my iPad mini 4 connected via bluetooth to the GDL 39 3D. Every two to three minutes, Garmin Pilot would lose GPS position and the display would hang, then whiplash back to where it's supposed to be.

Anyone see this happen before??

That aside, WOW is it sure nice to fly an approach with that display. With the iPad in portrait mode, I had the map with chart overplayed on the top half, and the synthetic vision on the bottom half. Easy peasy, especially with straight in approaches- just head for the little white box with the airport identifier and you're headed straight for it!
Unfortunately...YES. I have experienced this same glitch.

We have a ipad mini 4 and a slightly older Android. The ipad renders the SynVis nice and smooth. So I decided to place this in the panel for all night flights to "augment" the AI. Basically some sort of backup as I ramp up my night flight experience.

On the very first night flight it did it just as you described, as if stuck in a outer loop and resetting. It was bad enough that my plan was scrubbed after that first attempt.

I have also seen this on occasion later but just don't use it that much. However I have had some flights where it was flawless for as long as I used it.

I also noticed a GDL 39 firmware update rolled out a few weeks back and I did it. But haven't checked the SynViz since.

I am starting to wonder if it's a function of the level of detail selected for terrain or obstacles or something?

Now the Android doesn't do this...but the Java rendering speed is to slow for it to be useful. Bummer there. Next flight I'll try it again.

Yes. My Garmin GDL 39-3D does that from time to time and sometime says it’s connected but not. Mine is hardwired into my electrical system and has an external antenna. I’ve had to reboot it several times as well as Garmin Pilot to get it to function on several flight. Consequently the logbook function becomes worthless. All software is updated so I have no idea why it works sometimes and at others it doesn’t. Lately I’ve been carrying my Garmin GLO as a backup. I have a GNS 530W and an iPhone so I know it’s not a loss of GPS signal.

I can update on my GDL-39; shortly after my previous post it stopped receiving any traffic or weather unless I was within a couple of NM of the broadcaster. I called Garmin to ask and they said it was probably just old and worn out from 1,000+ hours on the glareshield.

They then asked me to return it, and sent me a shiny new one straight from the factory, at zero cost! Great service given that it was 5 years old.

As a result of my avionics upgrade my Aera550 with GDL-39 connected yoke mount is now all for sale...

Have you updated the GDL firmware lately? Mine has been relaible and trouble free. The guys I’ve heard complaining live where the sun is much hotter and suspect heat kills the GDL box. Garmin mentions heat in the manual. No idea how to validate how much is too much or what the symptoms are.

Last edited:
I think it’s been updated within the last year..... maybe.
I’ll run to the hangar today and check that out.

I’ve been reading conflicting facts about the GDL393D vs. 50. One post says there’s no difference except form factor and battery, elsewhere I’ve seen that the internals were updated (processor, etc.). Any real world experience? I’m a gadget geek who doesn’t mind dropping some cash on updated electronics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just looking up how to update the software...

The process for updating the software will vary depending on what device you are using with the GDL 39.

If you are using the GDL 39 with:

• a Garmin aviation portable device, the software will be received through the portable device. The software for your portable can be obtained through the WebUpdater program.
  • an iOS or Android mobile device, the software will be received through the Garmin Pilot application. This is a free download and requires a Bluetooth connection between the GDL 39 and the mobile device.

From that, it seems as though every time I connect my iPad to my GDL39 it should query software version and update if needed, right?

Should update then, as long as GP is up to date. Call or email Garmin tech. They've been great with my questions.

In Garmin Pilot, after you connect to the 39, you can hit a button to update it.

I want to add another data point regarding the Garmin GDL39-3D glitching out:

While going through old go pro videos I noticed that in all the videos where I had the SynViz screen up in Garmin Pilot it was rendering very smooth and no glitching in/out like it does now. This was all using the iPad mini as the tablet. I remembered it worked quite well. Then it finally dawned on me. In all of these videos, they were before our annual...where we added the ability to have the GDL39-3D run on ships power....hmmm????

On my most recent flight (with ships power) it was glitching in/out again.

There as one GDL39 firmware update recently which did not change the behavior so I don't think its a firmware issue.

So I am wondering if it is one of a two major categories:

1.) The ships power is somehow noisy or when it is charging there is unwanted interference. My GDL39-3D does have a battery pack on the bottom so whenever its on ships power it is also being charged.

2.) Mechanical vibration via the ship's power cable. I currently Velcro the GDL39-3D to the dash so I can easily remove the unit. So its not mounted that great. Then again, it never seemed to have a problem mounted this exact same way without the power cable attached. So if its not electrical noise, maybe the vibrations in the cable (from that big prop thing) are causing the GDL unit to vibrate.

….I will do a couple more tests to narrow it down. Its cold right now so this might take a few flights:

1.) Just leave the ships power disconnected. If it goes away it has something to do with the cable (electrical/mechanical)
2.) Remove the battery pack and try with ships power where it is no longer charging.
3.) If it still does it without the battery pack I can try mount it more rigidly.

Back