Any experience with Kinston, NC (KISO)?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
I will be flying into Kinston, NC (KISO) in next few days. Anyone with any experience here? Will be my first time there. Anything special to know? FBO easy to work through?

Been in there many, many times.
Huge runway, good approaches, fair FBO, towered airport, smallish town.
What else would you like to know?

Oh... And be careful not to get it confused with the airbase close by!!!!

I saw the 11500 runway listed. Guess they ship freight from there. Should be pretty straight forward with a tower and flying IFR.

I saw the 11500 runway listed. Guess they ship freight from there. Should be pretty straight forward with a tower and flying IFR.

Yes... Again, be careful not to confuse Kinston with Seymour Johnson Airbase (laughed so hard I wet my pants first time I said that).

Only flew in there once for a pilots n paws flight but it was easy, runway was huuuuuuge, tower was very friendly, FBO was nice. If I recall there was a huge fuel sign in front of the FBO, just look for that.

Thanks. Didn't catch the significance of the other field's name until you pointed that out. I'll be sure to point it out to the wife as we fly in.

Got stuck there for weather,before had my IFR rating. Nice field freindly FBO. Very small southern town. Overall not a bad stop.

You will have no issues. Seymour Johnson approach is awesome, patient controllers at ISO, nice FBO lounge, but may not have cheap gas. Most go next door to KGWW for gas, as it is like 5 minutes west.

Runway is long and expect midway/intersection departures. Saves taxi time.

Always had great experiences there.

Of all of the NC airports I have visited, this is one I have missed...

GWW, HRJ CPC, LBT and EYF all have great fuel prices.

Nice people and facility. Fuel price could be better but was not skyway robbery.

The huge runway is from the global tranpark development project. Local governments there were trying to attract international business and trade operations. It is thick enough to handle the big anatov.

$6.26 100LL is all I would need to know.

Used it for a fuel and potty stop coming from FL. No courtesy car, nothing around the airport and the FBO staff was a bit unenthusiastic. At their teterboro prices, I would expect at least a soda machine.

Used it for a fuel and potty stop coming from FL. No courtesy car, nothing around the airport and the FBO staff was a bit unenthusiastic. At their teterboro prices, I would expect at least a soda machine.

There was vending at one point not too long ago.
The FBO used to be run by Delta Private Jets, a somewhat bottom feeder in the aircraft management & charter world. Not sure if they're still running things.

There was vending at one point not too long ago.
The FBO used to be run by Delta Private Jets, a somewhat bottom feeder in the aircraft management & charter world. Not sure if they're still running things.

The whole place was a bit bizarre. Ginormous runway, tower but something like 50 operations/day. After I came through, I looked up what I could find about the operation and it sounds like one of those 'build it and they will come' economic development boondoggles. Bombastic name, but not really the local resources to support the 'jetport' moniker.

The whole place was a bit bizarre. Ginormous runway, tower but something like 50 operations/day. After I came through, I looked up what I could find about the operation and it sounds like one of those 'build it and they will come' economic development boondoggles. Bombastic name, but not really the local resources to support the 'jetport' moniker.

Spot on.

Spirit Aero Systems had a big operation out there. Not sure about now, but that was a main stop for them.

Ahhhh..KISO...where u can get 3 landings done on one approach. To help with currency.;):D

I did 10 night landings there for my commercial. I was doing stop and goes in my 182 while a C130 from one of the nearby bases was doing touch and goes. The size of the runway is huge. I do not know why they still have a tower there given the volume.

I did 10 night landings there for my commercial. I was doing stop and goes in my 182 while a C130 from one of the nearby bases was doing touch and goes. The size of the runway is huge. I do not know why they still have a tower there given the volume.

I think it's because kiso is the primary divert location for Seymour Johnson AFB. That was the best theory I heard while living in the area.

Back