Any experience into Morehead City, NC

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Flying into Morehead (MRH) in couple days. Noted several MOA and restricted areas around. Coming in from the south (Charleston, SC). Anyone with any insights / advice?

I haven't come in that direction but Cherry Point Approach is very good about clearance through it's restricted areas when they are not in actual use. I was going to fly in there from the Raleigh area this weekend and expected to simply head direct through the Alert area. I'd suggest planning to keep west of the coastal restricted areas and at least using Flight Following to speak with CherryPoint. Chances are, if they can, they will offer to clear you through, but you can always ask if they don't.

If you look at the sectional, you will also see there is a "Coastal MOA Advisory Service" frequency and telephone number. I haven't used it.

Flying into Morehead (MRH) in couple days. Noted several MOA and restricted areas around. Coming in from the south (Charleston, SC). Anyone with any insights / advice?

It's all cool, ATC in the area is very helpful with restricted area stuff. I've flown in and out of there a few times and had no issues.

Cherry Point is easy. I did a lot of dog flights out of there in the early days.

FBO is expensive and not great, but they are friendly.

FBO is expensive and not great, but they are friendly.

And the last time I was there they had a very short limit on the crew car, 1 or 2hrs max, can't remember. Made it tough to get to the Beaufort waterfront for lunch and back.

And the last time I was there they had a very short limit on the crew car, 1 or 2hrs max, can't remember. Made it tough to get to the Beaufort waterfront for lunch and back.

I never used a crew car there, always had someone pick me up. But I've heard lots of negative reviews about the FBO. A shame since it's such a nice place.

I never used a crew car there, always had someone pick me up. But I've heard lots of negative reviews about the FBO. A shame since it's such a nice place.

And now that I remember, they charged for the crew car. Yeah, I love Beaufort and Emerald Isle, but that FBO is not the best.

Story goes that a twin turboprop came in to the FBO to drop off some passengers. The FBO used a fuel truck to block the plane from leaving unless he paid the ramp fee. Cops were called, made the papers. It is a county owned taxpayer supported airport. The guy that holds the lease is a local royal. He has a sweetheart deal from the county. I have gone there for some maintenance but I stay away from the FBO, YMMV.

Strange how it works I have flown in there several times and have found them to be friendly and good to deal with. Have not asked for the courtesy car as a cab into Beaufort is only about $8. Called ahead and they had a cab waiting for me and my plane fueled and ready to go when we got back. Guess I just caught them on the good days. Fuel might have been a little high but it is a resort area.

Filing IFR? If rated I would recommend. Cherry Point likes to keep you about 2600 to stay out of their airspace then once out, drop you down if flying VFR. Depending on the runway a GPS entry point is in the restricted area, but ATC is good about that. You will get many advisories flying up the coast, and I would recommend flying a little west to avoid right over LeJune. Expect zero problems over MYR, CRE, and ILM.

Made the flight with no real issues. Did file IFR which made it all easier and less worry. Had to go thru some clouds anyway. Flew out over the water on the east side which kept us out of the restricted areas. Came in and was immediately met / parked up front by the gentleman at the FBO. Fuel was reasonable. I had called in advance and knew that ramp fee was $20 / night. Will waive 1st night if buying 20 gal of fuel, 2nd too if buy 30 gal. Had a cab there before we could unpack and cover the plane. Plane was refueled when we arrived to leave. No surprises. Had a great experience. Didn't try the crew car.

$20/night seems a tad high for overnight parking. But I'm glad the trip worked out for you. I love the area.

What did you do while you were here?

$20/night seems a tad high for overnight parking. But I'm glad the trip worked out for you. I love the area.

What did you do while you were here?

They waived it with fuel, so it's reasonable IMO.

Back