Any disadvantages to running CamGuard with Phillips XC 20W50 - O-320-E2A

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
1965 Piper Cherokee 140, Lycoming O-320-E2A. Hangared in Phoenix, Arizona.

Is there any disadvantages to running CamGuard with the Phillips XC 20W50 next oil change? I told my dad we ought to run CamGuard, but he is on the fence about it.

Last edited:
Camgaurd is cheap... if you believe in what it can do.

That's the combination I use. The Aviation Consumer article from 5-10 years ago convinced me.

My engine doesn't use oil and <AFAIK> is holding up well. But it did the same when I used Aeroshell. So I have no new data for you...

That's the combination I use. The Aviation Consumer article from 5-10 years ago convinced me.

My engine doesn't use oil and <AFAIK> is holding up well. But it did the same when I used Aeroshell. So I have no new data for you...
I too have been using this combination for about 10 years.

I too have been using this combination for about 10 years.
Ditto. What led me to this behavior was that the founder and chief chemist for CamGuard is considered THE expert on oil additive packages, especially ones for air cooled aviation engines. Unlike some of the snake oils I've considered in the past (e.g. MMO and Lenkite), CamGuard appears to have actual real science behind it rather than testimonials.

That said, if you make a flight at least every few days of at least one hour's duration there's probably little advantage but if it ever sits on the ground for a couple weeks it's a no brainer IMO.

It's what I run. This question is about on par with,"Should I drink water every day".......well, uh, yea.

I know 135 operators who use Phillips X/C without Camguard and get to TBO just fine but they run about 6 hours a day and change oil once a week. The fact is that Phillips is the only ashless dispersant oil I know of that has no corrosion inhibitors added, which is part of why it's less expensive. If you operate regularly like the 135 guys there's no gain from the corrosion inhibitors. Most of us don't fly that often so we choose to add a protection package. I don't know anyone who adds Camguard for the other advertised benefits, it's all about corrosion.

Yes, won't hurt. As posted, how often you operate means more though. I would use Camguard when I had my Warrior but I also flew it regularly. My target was AT LEAST 30 minutes of flight every two weeks. With work & weather it could stretch that long for a sole owner. I doubt most owners, with a real job, are able to fly one hour every few days.

If one uses Camguard then has the plane sit for 3 months I wouldn't expect miracles.

That said, if you make a flight at least every few days of at least one hour's duration there's probably little advantage but if it ever sits on the ground for a couple weeks it's a no brainer IMO.

:yeahthat:

That is the answer! -Skip

Is there any disadvantages to running CamGuard with the Phillips XC 20W50 next oil change?
The only disadvantage I can think of is: it's "winter" oil. If you're changing oil soon, I would think "summer" oil would be better than "winter" oil. Especially in the warm climate of AZ. (here in TX, we normally run SAE50 all year)
And yes, Phillips does have 100AW oil with the additive already in it. And it is actually cheaper than the 20W50 to which you still need to add CamGuard.
Just my $0.02.

That's what I use in my IO520, no complaints.

The only disadvantage I can think of is: it's "winter" oil. If you're changing oil soon, I would think "summer" oil would be better than "winter" oil. Especially in the warm climate of AZ. (here in TX, we normally run SAE50 all year)
And yes, Phillips does have 100AW oil with the additive already in it. And it is actually cheaper than the 20W50 to which you still need to add CamGuard.
Just my $0.02.

It's a split weight, all seasons oil, or at least that's what everyone I know uses it as, one stop shopping

I use it from 20f to 90f OATs, oil temp, pressure, CHTs and burn rates seem to agree.

If the engine runs every week....it's not needed. But, CamGuard is great for keeping the engine coated with oil for longer periods of inactivity....and it rejuvenates orings and seals.

I'm a fan....and a believer.

What is the cost difference between adding Cam Guard to Phillips, and simply using Exon Elete, which has the corrosion preventive already in it?
Just a question, I've never run the numbers.

What is the cost difference between adding Cam Guard to Phillips, and simply using Exon Elete, which has the corrosion preventive already in it?
Just a question, I've never run the numbers.
Exxon doesn't have as many beneficial additives as CamGuard.....so you're getting less.

You don't need to "run the numbers". All you need to do is look at the test reports on the Camguard website (Tech Data tab). 15-50 SS is Aeroshell 15-50. 20-50 SS is Exxon Elite. 20-50 is Phillips X/C. W100 is Aeroshell W100. The storage oil W100 is Aeroshell's anti rust oil but I haven't seen that for many years. Clearly the naked semi-synthetics with corrosion packages have a small advantage over the Phillips. Add Camguard and the results are pretty level but still favor 15-50. Why is Phillips so popular? The price. The total cost of Phillips with Camguard is significantly less than the other options with Camguard while the protection is very close to the same.

http://aslcamguard.com/#

You don't need to "run the numbers". All you need to do is look at the test reports on the Camguard website (Tech Data tab). 15-50 SS is Aeroshell 15-50. 20-50 SS is Exxon Elite. 20-50 is Phillips X/C. W100 is Aeroshell W100. The storage oil W100 is Aeroshell's anti rust oil but I haven't seen that for many years. Clearly the naked semi-synthetics with corrosion packages have a small advantage over the Phillips. Add Camguard and the results are pretty level but still favor 15-50. Why is Phillips so popular? The price. The total cost of Phillips with Camguard is significantly less than the other options with Camguard while the protection is very close to the same.

http://aslcamguard.com/#

When I used the term of "run the numbers" I meant costs. $$, money, Bucks, Performance is debatable the bucks aren't.

Do you believe every advertisement you read?

Long before Cam Guard was on the market most operators of little used engine used The High end oils like Exon Elete with great success.

After lots of experience with independent test labs running controlled tests? I trust their reports, yes. That's science.

My only question is the cost difference. not the success of using it. Because 99% of these engines will go to TBO with common care with out it.
I'd like to know the overhaul cost difference between any engine run on Cam Guard and one which was not. There sure as hell isn't going to be a difference in core charges. I'll bet none of the overhaul shops are going to give you a brake on the cost of the engine run on Cam Guard.

The cost of my Phillips with Camguard is less than the cost of Exxon and almost the same as Aeroshell 15-50. Given the choice of the three at essentially the same price point? Phillips with Camguard gets the nod, and has for well over ten years. If you don't see a value in using it? Don't. The OP asked a question presumably with an open mind so hopefully he can glean what he needs from these replies.

Hay all, anyone know of a problem using Aeroshell W100 Plus along with Camguard? Concerned about doubling up on the additives, but I have two cases of the stuff :)

I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Aeroshell 15-50 has the Plus package and I know guys who use that with Camguard. Heck, I add Camguard to my Phillips anti rust preservative oil. Rust never sleeps.

Back