Any Carlson Sparrow Ultralight pilots out there?

Scott Lennard

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott in Montana
Greetings! I am brand new to the forum and a fairly new pilot. I took some flight training and now am "learning to fly" in my Carlson sparrow. I decided i wanted fly an ultralight and looked at all kinds of configurations and then decided on the Carlson Sparrow. It took me awhile to find one. I actually found two, one mostly finished, which I completed the build and another partially built kit. I am been having a blast but also had a few scares. I know there were only a hundred and some built but wondered if there's any others flying around in a Sparrow. I'd like to compare notes. Cheers!

Welcome to PoA, Scott. I had never heard of the Carlson Sparrow, but a quick search shows a cute tricycle gear high wing ultralight with an enclosed cockpit. It looks like fun. I wonder if a four stroke engine like the 1/2 VW would be light enough to keep it under the Part 103 empty weight limit of 254 pounds. I'd think a 4 stroke would be more reliable than the Rotax 277 or 503.

Welcome to PoA, Scott. I had never heard of the Carlson Sparrow, but a quick search shows a cute tricycle gear high wing ultralight with an enclosed cockpit. It looks like fun. I wonder if a four stroke engine like the 1/2 VW would be light enough to keep it under the Part 103 empty weight limit of 254 pounds. I'd think a 4 stroke would be more reliable than the Rotax 277 or 503.

Hello Stan, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the VW engine would make the weight. It's right at the limit with the 277. I'd like to have a 4 stroke but so far the 277 hasn't missed a stroke. There's a cool video of my ultralight on youtube if you look up "Carlson Sparrow, learn to fly" it should come up, it's a green airplane. Shows some great scenery of our area also. The movie Always was filmed here at the Libby Airport.

Half VW is 85 lbs, about the same as a Cuyuna or Rotax 447, a lot more than a 277. It would put a Sparrow firmly into the experimental category, not 103. 2-strokes really aren't that unreliable if you treat them properly and take care of them, but you can't treat them like a Lycoming. The Carlson designs have a pretty good reputation.

Half VW is 85 lbs, about the same as a Cuyuna or Rotax 447, a lot more than a 277. It would put a Sparrow firmly into the experimental category, not 103. 2-strokes really aren't that unreliable if you treat them properly and take care of them, but you can't treat them like a Lycoming. The Carlson designs have a pretty good reputation.
Dana, thanks for the info. It seems like a great design. It's built just like a miniature cub. All chomoly steel fuselage and aluminum wings. I try to take care of the 277 and work religiously at keeping fuel filtered. I've been using Amsoil 2 stroke oil.

Paging @zaitcev. I believe he said he once had one.
That's cool, I don't think there are too many of them out there. They were quite expensive at the time of their production. I love my Sparrow but am thinking of selling her so I can get a two place plane. My wife saw how much fun I was having and thinks she wants to go with me.

I watched your YouTube video, Scott. Pretty cool. Your bronze wildlife sculptures are pretty cool, too!

Hey Thanks for the compliments! I have wanted to fly since i was a kid. I actually passed my written in college but didn't figure out how to get the money for instruction to get my license. So now in my sixties I'm "Livin the Dream!" Had a friend make the professional looking video as kind of a tribute to my journey.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I conclude that there's probably not too many Carlson Sparrow ultralights flying. I actually have my airplane up for sale as I'm wanting to go to a 2 seater light sport since my wife has seen how much fun I am having. I also have a partially built kit. If any of you are interested in seeing a cool professional video of my Carlson Sparrow here's the link.

Back