Any advice on transitioning to J-3 Cub?

1. solo from the back, can't see instruents [funny and a little concerning]

That's a good thing.

The #1 different thing you need to do is to keep the airplane straight while on the runway. The #2 thing is to realize that there is no #2 - see #1.

But, some nosewheel pilots (based on my observation) tend to go "head down" as soon as they push the throttle in. They seem to be looking at oil pressure, air speed and heaven only knows what else. Not one of those things will help you keep the airplane straight. Now, while some may find it comforting to know what the oil pressure was before you took out the runway light, I personally believe that you are better off keeping focused outside the cockpit - particularly when you are new at this.

Look outside, keep the airplane straight, let it fly when it is ready to fly. Don't even ask what the "rotation speed" is because there is no value in knowing it or trying to look for it on the ASI. The airplane will tell you when it is ready. When you get proficient, then, yea, you can flick your eyes down for a moment to check on things - but that is for after your feet are up to speed.
  1. anticipate use or rudder during taxi
You do have to use rudder to stop a turn - if you just relax the pressure, the airplane will keep turning (and perhaps turn sharper) instead of straightening out like a nosewheel.

falling leaf [finally, a plane i could try it in]
I thought you flew a 172?

1. try managing the taxy to limit brake use
Whatever. I use brakes all the time. If you have crappy grabby brakes then, yea, avoid them. If they are smooth and predictable there is no reason to not use them. I STAND on my brakes when doing stop-and-gos.

1. keep full back pressure even after landing [is that to keep the tail on the ground and have steering?]
yup

1. brakes are not very effective, will notice that during runup [probably a good thing so I don't nose it over too easely]
Good brakes help you stop with the tail still up in the air if you want.

constant small, quick corrections on the rudder; positive control (dont fall behind the rudder) on ground

But understand that if the airplane is rolling straight and you're not moving the rudder....there's no need to move the rudder just because you're in a tailwheel airplane and were programmed by everyone to think you gotta dance around and flap the rudder constantly. You'll learn to apply the minimum correction when needed, but also to leave it the hell alone when corrections aren't needed. You can tell a good tailwheel pilot by how little the rudder moves during takeoff and landing. In smooth air conditions, you can actually roll straight down the centerline on T/O and landing with nearly imperceptible rudder movements. That takes lots of practice. Expect a lot of initial clumsy pedal pumping and swerving. This is natural and your brain will catch up automatically.

One other piece of advice. Buy some skinny shoes. I got a tailwheel endorsement this past summer in a J3 and couldn't fit my feet flat between the front seat and the side of the fusealage to push on the rudders when sitting in the back seat while wearing regular sneakers. I ended up buying a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor shoes. They were much narrower than the sneaker and also had less padding on the bottom so you had more feel of the rudder through your feet. Good luck with the training. You will have a blast.

Keith

So James, tell me how I'm going to look all the way down the runway on the round out and flare if I'm sitting in the back seat behind the instructor? Just curious. Don

Instead of retyping what was discussed in another thread a day or so ago.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79002&page=2

It's the same thing that I said before, I used those same techniques instructing in the back of citabrias for a couple years, some of my students were some fairly big boys too.

Back