Any "advanced" simmers in here?

MarcoDA40

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Marco
I can't be the only one, can I??
Semi-Long read

I started using simulators ever since I was 12 years old, starting with FS98 and been using them every since. (FS98, FS2000, 2002, FS9 and now FSX) I have always had an interest in aviation ever since I can remember.. and I would spend hours and hours using simulators for fun and not in a very realistic manner, until FS9. I never really got any payware addons for FS9 because I was still in middle school and couldnt really pay for them but my parents did buy me a $25 joystick at walmart :p. It became a hobby.. so much so that I logged 200+ hours in FS9, and so far in FSX I've logged a little under 500 hours (this is real time).
I can say that this ABSOLUTELY helped me when I was finally able to afford my PPL, Soloed in 6 hours, got PPL in 42. Anyways.. I have put together an amazing simulator (per my standards) and it is honestly WAY better and more equipped than some simulators I've seen at some schools (besides red bird and full motion sims alike). I have spent a bit over $1000 with both software and hardware(not including pc).. here is a list of my equipment:

• Flight Simulator X Steam Edition
    Duh? :p
  • Active Sky Next -
    THIS IS A MUST! As close to real-time weather as you can get! If you go on foreflight and look at a METAR, the simulator weather will be 100% accurate to real world. Besides just being accurate, the architecture behind the actual weather is mesmerizing..
  • MegaScenery (not installed)
    This is photoreal scenery, they are literally satellite pictures, and you can even find your house.. the super downside to this is that it is FLAT and there are no 3D features like autogen buildings/trees, etc. This is good for high altitude flying but the flat landscape is just not nice enough for me. ($50 wasted :( )
  • REX Texture Direct
    This replaces the Simulators default textures to very high quality(4k) textures. It also changes atmosphere textures to give it a much more realistic look, especially during sunset/sunrise. It is a complete texture overhaul.
  • REX Soft Clouds
    This is to give more realistic volume to clouds, especially during TStorms. Clouds go from mehhh looking, to so realistic that if I took a screenshot of the clouds only and didnt say it was FSX, you would never know.
  • PRO ATC X (I dont use it EVERY flight)
    This replaces the stock ATC to a much more realistic one. With this ATC you can actually fly SIDs and STARs and vectoring is way more realistic. You get put on holding patterns as well and such. You can update the Database every time a new AIRAC cycle comes out if you have a Navigraph subscription (I do)
  • Pilot Edge
    I did the 2 week free trial and LOVED it! Sadly they are only in SOCAL and it got a bit boring after flying only there for 2 weeks. I hope they expand at lest a bit, maybe do a separate server for part of the east coast or something.. until then I dont use it unless I feel like I need work on my comms.
  • FTX Global
    Graphic related, this addon was the most dramatic change in the whole simulator. The base pack is $75 which adds much more AUTOGEN buildings /trees and its is literally a simulator overhaul. They have FTX Vector which is just the holy grail. It adds much more realistic shorelines, glf courses, parkslakes, rivers, powerlines, trains, tunnels, freeways, docks, etc! There is some of that in the stock Simulator but no-where near as detailed. That will have to be my Xmas present... with a price tag of $150.
  • Alabeo DA40
    I got this during my training since I was already training in a DA40. It is absolutely realistic! The only thing missing was the motion and the force feedback. I use my real world checklist when I fly it.
  • Carenado TBM 850 G1000
    I got this to get from point A to point B faster and play around with the G1000 (fully modeled and simulated) The DA40 I trained with had a G1000 and I can say this is as real as it gets. Luckily Carenado has a whole fleet of G1000 birds. (Databse update with Navigraph as well)
  • PMDG 737NGX
    This is without a doubt one of the most realistic airplanes you can fly in a simulator. PMDG is TOP OF THE LINE when it comes to addons. Everything you can think of is simulated. I cant really explain it... just look it up. Comes with a Price tag of $70 (FMC Databse update with Navigraph as well)
  • PMDG 777
    Read above. Price tag $90
  • CH Products Yoke & Rudder Pedals
    Not much to say, theydo the job but really wish it was force feedback. It also has a throttle quadrant with throttle/mixture/prop, flaps, electric trim, gear lever, autopilot disconnect and a few other things.
I probably missed a thing or two but thats my simulator!
I hope to one day when I have a bigger place with a spare room to build a FULL simulator and usea projector or something, but for now I love what I have!

This is NOT my video but here is what my sim looks like (besides graphics, the simulation itself is second to none)

Im running all of this at 4.0ghz

This has a bit of video editing but its pretty much what I see when I play Sim!

Sorry for the long and maybe unrelated post :oops:

EDIT: There is an app/software that allows the Simulator to connect to foreflight so you can actually see the plane moving on your ipad\iphone foreflight app! Its $30 and that is my next purchase!

Last edited:
Very cool! I had xplane for a while (until my old computer couldn't take it anymore) but nothing as high quality as this. Thanks for sharing!

Nope...not the only one. Been at it for awhile.....remember when the instruments were all green? (early FS). I had standardized on FSX and had modified a Carenado 182RG panel to match the one in our RW RG. Used it for practicing approaches and 'stuff' (non-loggable of course).

Last Fall I got into X-Plane (not that I'm geeky, but on Linux) and bought the Carenado Turbo 210 with Reality Pack (no exaggeration...if you don't use the proper start procedure (prime with the fuel pump, then off) it won't start, and if you leave the sim's panel switches (on the a/c panel) on when you leave, the battery's dead next time you come back....no joke!

I went thru all the double and triple-monitor thing, and just ended up with a 42" HD TV connected to the rig (the wife got a new TV out of the deal).

Pretty amazing stuff...but I spend limited time with it until the heavy snow flies.

Jim

No, you're definitely not the only one. Been simming since I was 7 (now 42). Yes, PilotEdge is expanding, it should happen before the end of the year (we've been waiting for FAA data for more than a year, it's comical. Thankfully we're going to work around it).

I'm surprised you managed to get bored of flying the coverage area in just 2 weeks. There's 40 towered airports (that's a LOT of approaches) and 2-3x that in non-towered airports, too.

Very cool! I had xplane for a while (until my old computer couldn't take it anymore) but nothing as high quality as this. Thanks for sharing!
FSX doesnt kill your computer as much as XPlane does!

Nope...not the only one. Been at it for awhile.....remember when the instruments were all green? (early FS). I had standardized on FSX and had modified a Carenado 182RG panel to match the one in our RW RG. Used it for practicing approaches and 'stuff' (non-loggable of course).

Last Fall I got into X-Plane (not that I'm geeky, but on Linux) and bought the Carenado Turbo 210 with Reality Pack (no exaggeration...if you don't use the proper start procedure (prime with the fuel pump, then off) it won't start, and if you leave the sim's panel switches (on the a/c panel) on when you leave, the battery's dead next time you come back....no joke!

I went thru all the double and triple-monitor thing, and just ended up with a 42" HD TV connected to the rig (the wife got a new TV out of the deal).

Pretty amazing stuff...but I spend limited time with it until the heavy snow flies.

Jim
Amazing indeed! Do you still use it often?

No, you're definitely not the only one. Been simming since I was 7 (now 42). Yes, PilotEdge is expanding, it should happen before the end of the year (we've been waiting for FAA data for more than a year, it's comical. Thankfully we're going to work around it).

I'm surprised you managed to get bored of flying the coverage area in just 2 weeks. There's 40 towered airports (that's a LOT of approaches) and 2-3x that in non-towered airports, too.

Not so much that I got "bored" I was purely flying VFR since I havent started IR yet. I dont want to create bad habits wothout proper instruction first. Absolutely love the professionalism. I will definitely use it again without a doubt.

FSX doesnt kill your computer as much as XPlane does!

Respectfully disagree, at least with the XP10 version.....X-Plane is 64-bit (better memory management)...FSX not so. Best of all world's is XPX on Linux as Linux uses much less overhead than Winders. Probably putting most folks to sleep with this discussion....

Amazing indeed! Do you still use it often?

I built up my new computer last fall when it cooled off, put the rig together and 'flew' it while it was cold...haven't touched it since Spring sprung. I'm fortunate in that I have RW aircraft to fly and retired, so time to do it.

Jim

I started MSFS as a young'n on Win 3.1. I remember first playing it on an old Mac that my uncle (airline pilot) provided to my grandmother (who was a pilot). Played it solely by the 10-key and really only had a few basic flights (Nimitz carrier, San Fransisco, and Meigs). I probably logged a few hundred hours through my teens just playing with it. I bought the latest FSX prior to getting my Private ticket just to practice checklists and such. I haven't touched it in a couple of years, but was always amazed at the add-one that people did. It's truly amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re-read the OP's post about the App to let Foreflight talk to FSX.....Garmin Pilot and X-Plane will talk to each natively over your LAN (not sure but GP might also talk to FSX). I use the same Nexus 7 to sim as I do to fly, and with the same functionality.

This stuff just amazes me!!

Jim

I have FSX Steam on a DuoCore 1.6, Windows 10, with 8G RAM and an Nvidia GTX-650i. Ive got the Saitek Pro Yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals.

I'I've been using Bruce Williams' book, "Scenario Based Training" for instrument procedures training. And, with a few tweak on the controls and realism, I think its doing pretty realistic instrument approaches.

The VOR, Localizer, glide-slope and DME all work pretty true to life. And, using my iPad as an EFB, just as I would for real, I'm shooting ILS approaches down to minimums with pretty good results.

I haven't messed around with any of the big jets or helicopters. I've just been using the C-172 and the Mooney.

I started with Flight Simulator 1.0 (I think it was black & white) when I was about 9, and played it through the 90s. In 2013 I got my PPL and now I'm back simming again with PilotEdge studying IFR (just took the I-4 test today).

My main computer now is a Mac so I recently switched to X-Plane. Once I'm back in the US (where PCs are reasonably priced), I may do a nice PC build to run either X-Plane or FSX. I'd like to hear others' comments on X-Plane vs. FSX. It seems like X-Plane is the future (since FSX is kind of dying?), but only FSX has an L-39 Albatros aircraft so I keep it around mostly for that. (Actually Digital Combat Simulator has an L-39, but it is also Windows/PC only).

I think sims are awesome for training, especially IFR navigation, departures, approaches, etc.

Edited to add:

Oh and yes, connecting Foreflight to the sim is such a great way to learn how to use Foreflight.

Did tons of Flight Sims back in the day.

Since sometime before I bought into the LLC with the 182, I had grown weary of chasing the higher and higher computer and video card standards needed for whatever was "modern" at the time, and realized the money was better spent on the real thing.

All the sim did was keep me from going to the airport.

The sim's for the days you can't find the airport for the snow or fog, Nate :) Rumor has it that it's also good for dispelling the notion that you're a better pilot after a couple beers..I'm told...by someone else ;)

I understand Nate's frustration with the constantly changing standards. In simming, it seems to be a quest for perfection (95% vs. 98% some times).

For the sim neophytes among us, a lot can still be accomplished with a minimalist (by today's standards) computer. Prior to the new unit, I had FSX running quite nicely on an old dual-cored Pentium with minimal RAM, and a $75 add-on video card. A yoke and pedals add a lot of 'authenticity' to the proceedings, but a single 'normal' monitor of most any size will work.

Jim

Well I'm pretty much required to go fly a CAE built level 3 sim every nine months - does that count ? It's really not any fun though.

Anyone else think simulating a dirty window is going a bit far? Haha, how about simulating some window cleaner.

I concur, you are not the only one.
You mentioned Pilot Edge (and their biggest drawback). I assume you've used VatSim?

Jim, I noticed the dirty passenger window too but it didn't make me laugh as hard as snow flakes blowing by the window at 10 kts (in flight). :)

With computing power and storage becoming so accessible and cheap nowadays, the level of detail and reality is just amazing.

My advanced simming involves putting on foggles.

You mentioned Pilot Edge (and their biggest drawback). I assume you've used VatSim?

Jim, I noticed the dirty passenger window too but it didn't make me laugh as hard as snow flakes blowing by the window at 10 kts (in flight). :)

With computing power and storage becoming so accessible and cheap nowadays, the level of detail and reality is just amazing.

I think i saw some flakes falling straight down too. Minor detail. :)

I must be doing it wrong, I tried to set up a demo version of xplane and I can't get it to the point where I can control the thing well enough to get any use out of it. At first I was trying to use an xbox controller, figured that might be the issue so I got a logitech 3d extreme joystick, that didn't help enough, so I pretty much gave up. Main problem is that it wants to roll and I have to keep constantly nudging it, gets annoying quick. I don't notice the actual aircraft doing that when I go flying.

Edit: wait this thread is not for me, I'm the opposite of advanced simmer :)

I must be doing it wrong, I tried to set up a demo version of xplane and I can't get it to the point where I can control the thing well enough to get any use out of it. At first I was trying to use an xbox controller, figured that might be the issue so I got a logitech 3d extreme joystick, that didn't help enough, so I pretty much gave up. Main problem is that it wants to roll and I have to keep constantly nudging it, gets annoying quick. I don't notice the actual aircraft doing that when I go flying.

Edit: wait this thread is not for me, I'm the opposite of advanced simmer :)

Did you go thru the procedure to calibrate the joystick?....I'm guessing you probably did, but always start with the basic question :)

Did you go thru the procedure to calibrate the joystick?....I'm guessing you probably did, but always start with the basic question :)
Yea, checked that with both joysticks, they are centered on the calibration screens. I think it does the roll thing even if you try with just the keyboard. Maybe their realistic flight model of the 172, dunno, but sure makes it unusable for me.

Suggest flightsim.com, avsim.com, or xplane.org forums for further troubleshooting. Lots of good folks over there! Jump on and introduce yourself.

Jim

Edit- Tell 'em POA sent ya! :)

I suppose I’ll out myself as a FS nerd. :) I stopped logging time after I crossed 4,000 hours, but now, thanks to kids and a family, I don’t have near the time to play that I once did. Started out with FS 3.0 in the late 1980's and have used every version of MSFS since, now P3D. I’ve developed scenery add-ons, tweaked aircraft flight dynamics code, and modified gauge XML. I’ve also been involved in online virtual ATC for close to 20 years; SATCO in the late 1990's and then VATSIM ever since, both as a pilot and ATC. Highly recommend that route to anyone who wants to practice radio comms for little to no cost. I've never used Pilot Edge but know that it's a great service. Just wish I could fly SoCal more on the sim - though, thanks to ORBX, I end up doing a lot of flying in that area when I can.

FS helped me understand the GNS430 long before I ever set foot in a "real" airplane, thanks to the now effectively-defunct RealityXP. During my training, there were many times my CFI would ask me how to do some shortcut or something on the Garmin. Best $50 I ever spent on a sim add-on. Now into my IR, being able to practice on the sim is a great option to have.

You mentioned FTX global, but I didn’t see any mention of the ORBX regions. If you’ve not tried them, definitely check them out – makes things much closer to being able to fly truly VFR without the autogen and seasonal textures limitations of something like Megascenery (though I do enjoy Megascenery a lot for certain types of flying).

I have to add one point of clarification in that not all Carenado G1000’s are updatable with Navigraph and most are far from fully functional. Most users end up dropping-in something like the Flight1 GTN750 in place of the Carenado G1000 to get much better capability, with the sacrifice of a little bit of realism.

Happy simming!

Great thread...I'm in this camp too...rudder pedals, throttle quadrant, yoke, radio panel, switch/gear lever panel...and recent convert to Prepar3d 3.x (previously FSX, originally pre FS95. Hated Xplane for some reason). All these sims definitely lacks in the feel vs. real flight (especially elevator pitch control), but some of the software is pretty darn realistic.

-Huge fan of Active Sky Next. It's a must. Active Sky 2016 was just released. I haven't upgraded, but will probably do so by year's end. I need a new GPU first, I'm still on a GTX570 and it's starting to show...it's the bottleneck of my system right now as I upgrade my build piecemeal as time goes on.
-Various scenery upgrades already mentioned earlier as well.
-Prepar3d 3.x. Love it. I was hesitant when I made the switch earlier this year, but it's so much more stable for me.
-PMDG 737. $$$ but worth every penny. It comes with a 1,200+ page PDF of the flight manual. Cross-bleed start? Sure. Not for the "control + e" startup fans. Programming the FMS is fun and getting various results is fun too. Set a cost index of 99 with no derate on takeoff, no px and light fuel. Fun stuff!
-Carenado has stepped up their game in the last while. Overall, I like their aircraft. The Navajo is one of my favorites.
-Aside from PMDG, A2A Simulations is probably my favorite! The (attempted) realism is out of this world, and it uses "smart" coding for pre-flights, maintenance, etc. Your plugs will foul if you don't lean properly. Skipping preflight regularly? You may just have a flap failure later because you didn't check the flap rollers. Your jugs may need replacing at some point. I just wish they had more aircraft offerings. I'm a huge fan of their Comanche 250 though, and probably fly that around more than anything else when I'm on the sim. http://www.a2asimulations.com/ I haven't bothered to try the Texan yet...it looks incredible.

As of now I only have Portland from their freeware stuff (ORBX) I want to save up to get Vector then ill buy more airports and regions. I did get an email from flightsim store a few days go about their new 2016 upgrade ($30 if you have 2012 version already)
I will buy an a2a airplane soon, ive heard nothing but good things about them!
As far as "smart coding" here is a cheaper alternative which looks GREAT! But i never pulled the trigger on it.. i should have since I have 40+ hours in a DA20 (in real life).

Im sure that a2a is much better quality though.

I used Vatsim in my early days of FS9 and actually became a controller for them for a while. Vatsim was a requirement for a Virtual Airline that I was a member of. I think Pilot Edge takes the cake though.. IMO.

Also, when i purchased the PMDG 737, I accidentally bought 2 of them.. yes I paid like $150 :confused::( and they couldnt refund me.. SOOOOO if anyone wants a FREE PMDG 737 for fsx ($75 value) , i might be able to hook you up! its a direct download from their website...

*This offer can not be combined with other offers. No cash value. Must present voucher. Limit one per person. ;)

I would love to get X-Plane setup...I have the yoke and throttle quadrant but need to get the rudder pedals...I haven't messed with X-Plane enough but I hear you can make it very very good...reading this thread makes me want to get some rudder pedals and spend some time getting it setup though

Here is the desktop I built at the end of last year though: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bcnnTW

:)

Did tons of Flight Sims back in the day.

Since sometime before I bought into the LLC with the 182, I had grown weary of chasing the higher and higher computer and video card standards needed for whatever was "modern" at the time, and realized the money was better spent on the real thing.

All the sim did was keep me from going to the airport.

It is pretty ridiculous how the technology gets better and better every year. My recent desktop is basically top of the line, minus going with a dual SLI Video card setup. I spent over 2K on it and XPlane on max graphic settings really pushes my computer.

I guess I can say I'm an advanced simmer. I fly flightsafety military t-6a sims everyday for the last 10 years. Plus I maintain them. so..yeah..I'm advanced. Haha

I sim as much as I can. I fly FSX using Carenado/Alabeo and ASA AccuSim planes.

I took the measurements from a 172 cockpit and built a panel overlay
Yoke - PFC Mooney yoke
Audio Panel/NavCom2/AP - GoFlight panels
GPS - Emuteq Garsim GNS530 powered by RealityXP
TPM - Saitek
Flaps/Gear/Trim - GoFlight Panel
Electrical Panel - Desktop Aviator Panel
Baro/HDG/CRS/OBS knobs - Desktop Aviator chip with potentiometers built into the overlay
Pedals - Saitek Cessna pedals

Everything off of ebay so I built it on the (relatively) cheap.

Attachments

• received_10151986411093867.jpeg
    received_10151986411093867.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 28
I can't be the only one, can I??
Semi-Long read

I started using simulators ever since I was 12 years old, starting with FS98 and been using them every since. (FS98, FS2000, 2002, FS9 and now FSX) I have always had an interest in aviation ever since I can remember.. and I would spend hours and hours using simulators for fun and not in a very realistic manner, until FS9. I never really got any payware addons for FS9 because I was still in middle school and couldnt really pay for them but my parents did buy me a $25 joystick at walmart :p. It became a hobby.. so much so that I logged 200+ hours in FS9, and so far in FSX I've logged a little under 500 hours (this is real time).
I can say that this ABSOLUTELY helped me when I was finally able to afford my PPL, Soloed in 6 hours, got PPL in 42. Anyways.. I have put together an amazing simulator (per my standards) and it is honestly WAY better and more equipped than some simulators I've seen at some schools (besides red bird and full motion sims alike). I have spent a bit over $1000 with both software and hardware(not including pc).. here is a list of my equipment:

• Flight Simulator X Steam Edition
    Duh? :p
  • Active Sky Next -
    THIS IS A MUST! As close to real-time weather as you can get! If you go on foreflight and look at a METAR, the simulator weather will be 100% accurate to real world. Besides just being accurate, the architecture behind the actual weather is mesmerizing..
  • MegaScenery (not installed)
    This is photoreal scenery, they are literally satellite pictures, and you can even find your house.. the super downside to this is that it is FLAT and there are no 3D features like autogen buildings/trees, etc. This is good for high altitude flying but the flat landscape is just not nice enough for me. ($50 wasted :( )
  • REX Texture Direct
    This replaces the Simulators default textures to very high quality(4k) textures. It also changes atmosphere textures to give it a much more realistic look, especially during sunset/sunrise. It is a complete texture overhaul.
  • REX Soft Clouds
    This is to give more realistic volume to clouds, especially during TStorms. Clouds go from mehhh looking, to so realistic that if I took a screenshot of the clouds only and didnt say it was FSX, you would never know.
  • PRO ATC X (I dont use it EVERY flight)
    This replaces the stock ATC to a much more realistic one. With this ATC you can actually fly SIDs and STARs and vectoring is way more realistic. You get put on holding patterns as well and such. You can update the Database every time a new AIRAC cycle comes out if you have a Navigraph subscription (I do)
  • Pilot Edge
    I did the 2 week free trial and LOVED it! Sadly they are only in SOCAL and it got a bit boring after flying only there for 2 weeks. I hope they expand at lest a bit, maybe do a separate server for part of the east coast or something.. until then I dont use it unless I feel like I need work on my comms.
  • FTX Global
    Graphic related, this addon was the most dramatic change in the whole simulator. The base pack is $75 which adds much more AUTOGEN buildings /trees and its is literally a simulator overhaul. They have FTX Vector which is just the holy grail. It adds much more realistic shorelines, glf courses, parkslakes, rivers, powerlines, trains, tunnels, freeways, docks, etc! There is some of that in the stock Simulator but no-where near as detailed. That will have to be my Xmas present... with a price tag of $150.
  • Alabeo DA40
    I got this during my training since I was already training in a DA40. It is absolutely realistic! The only thing missing was the motion and the force feedback. I use my real world checklist when I fly it.
  • Carenado TBM 850 G1000
    I got this to get from point A to point B faster and play around with the G1000 (fully modeled and simulated) The DA40 I trained with had a G1000 and I can say this is as real as it gets. Luckily Carenado has a whole fleet of G1000 birds. (Databse update with Navigraph as well)
  • PMDG 737NGX
    This is without a doubt one of the most realistic airplanes you can fly in a simulator. PMDG is TOP OF THE LINE when it comes to addons. Everything you can think of is simulated. I cant really explain it... just look it up. Comes with a Price tag of $70 (FMC Databse update with Navigraph as well)
  • PMDG 777
    Read above. Price tag $90
  • CH Products Yoke & Rudder Pedals
    Not much to say, theydo the job but really wish it was force feedback. It also has a throttle quadrant with throttle/mixture/prop, flaps, electric trim, gear lever, autopilot disconnect and a few other things.
I probably missed a thing or two but thats my simulator!
I hope to one day when I have a bigger place with a spare room to build a FULL simulator and usea projector or something, but for now I love what I have!

This is NOT my video but here is what my sim looks like (besides graphics, the simulation itself is second to none)

Im running all of this at 4.0ghz

This has a bit of video editing but its pretty much what I see when I play Sim!

Sorry for the long and maybe unrelated post :oops:

EDIT: There is an app/software that allows the Simulator to connect to foreflight so you can actually see the plane moving on your ipad\iphone foreflight app! Its $30 and that is my next purchase!

I have the same DA40 but I can't my RealityXP GPS to play nice with it.

Wow some nice setups

I also grew up with it, and like everyone here, attribute it to my entry into real flying. What a great tool!

I recently started to get back into it to practice IFR procedures. Has anyone had experience updating FSX with the latest approaches/navaids? Or does the latest FSX steam have more up-to-date approaches? Referencing 2016 approach plates has been tough using the original FSX due to all the changes.

I also grew up with it, and like everyone here, attribute it to my entry into real flying. What a great tool!

I recently started to get back into it to practice IFR procedures. Has anyone had experience updating FSX with the latest approaches/navaids? Or does the latest FSX steam have more up-to-date approaches? Referencing 2016 approach plates has been tough using the original FSX due to all the changes.

Your best bet is to fly with VatSIM or Pilot Edge where you're not using the FSX database.

So between X Plane or Flight Simulator which is better?

I used to be a serious simmer. Started out with a Flight Sim 2.0 on the old Apple II and stayed with it to FS2004. I tried FSX when it came out, but thought it sucked.

Shortly after I got married, I realized that wasn't going to be good for marital harmony, so I finally went out and got my PPL. I still have all my stuff, but haven't booted up the sim computer in over 7 years.

If I ever lose my medical, I'll probably get back into it.

I've forgotten so much about how to tweak it. My setup was very customized. I had all the defunct airlines flying around and call signs being used by ATC: Eastern, TWA, Pam Am, PSA....etc.

I used to be a serious simmer. Started out with a Flight Sim 2.0 on the old Apple II and stayed with it to FS2004. I tried FSX when it came out, but thought it sucked.

Shortly after I got married, I realized that wasn't going to be good for marital harmony, so I finally went out and got my PPL. I still have all my stuff, but haven't booted up the sim computer in over 7 years.

If I ever lose my medical, I'll probably get back into it.

I've forgotten so much about how to tweak it. My setup was very customized. I had all the defunct airlines flying around and call signs being used by ATC: Eastern, TWA, Pam Am, PSA....etc.

That is the thing about a lot of these Sims is that they usually require quite a bit of setup and tweaking...I haven't even played Xplane for more than 30 minutes since I bought because I don't want to take the time to set it all up haha

Back