Any "advanced" simmers in here?

X-Plane is, without a doubt, the better simulator. FSX is for children.

;)

Having used both for several years, I have to agree. FSX was very good, but I think X-Plane is better. I also like the ability to use UDP to read/modify sim data. I have a microcontroller communicating with X-Plane for an MCP I made (has knobs for radios, heading, course, altitude, etc).

I sim as much as I can. I fly FSX using Carenado/Alabeo and ASA AccuSim planes.

I took the measurements from a 172 cockpit and built a panel overlay
Yoke - PFC Mooney yoke
Audio Panel/NavCom2/AP - GoFlight panels
GPS - Emuteq Garsim GNS530 powered by RealityXP
TPM - Saitek
Flaps/Gear/Trim - GoFlight Panel
Electrical Panel - Desktop Aviator Panel
Baro/HDG/CRS/OBS knobs - Desktop Aviator chip with potentiometers built into the overlay
Pedals - Saitek Cessna pedals

Everything off of ebay so I built it on the (relatively) cheap.

Wow, very nice!

Thx, told the wife spending $1k on a sim would save money in training and it ended up saving at least that.

is your yoke force feedback??

Having used both for several years, I have to agree. FSX was very good, but I think X-Plane is better. I also like the ability to use UDP to read/modify sim data. I have a microcontroller communicating with X-Plane for an MCP I made (has knobs for radios, heading, course, altitude, etc).

what were the major differences?

Yes, very advanced. I don't have time to list them all. :devil:

Edit: I read the OP as "sinner." So never mind...

We made it this far in the thread with only one picture of people's setups? Come on guys...

is your yoke force feedback??

I wish. There aren't many options out there that I've seen. I've seen some guys do some homebuild FF tho. The PFC yokes are REALLY nice however, much better than Saitek or CH yokes. I found mine on ebay few years back for $150.

Ssome screenshots approaching KORF Runway 5. Alabeo Diamond DA40

app korf 2.jpg app korf 3.jpg
korf runway.png

I am running Prepar3D v3 with the following
FTX products - global base, global vector, Northern California and Southern California (southern for Pilotedge and NorCal because that is where I live)
-Pilotedge (real like atc in so-cal)
-opusfsi (real world weather)
- Flight1 GTN750 (use 750 in real world planes)
-A2A simulations 172, 182, and Comanche (all gtn750 compatible)
- fsxflight (connects simulator to ForeFlight)

All of this runs smooth on a computer dedicated to the simulator. I use a mac for everything else.
I7 4790k @4.4
2x 970 graphics cards (should have just gotten one 980 or titan but the newest version or Prepar actually does use both!)
16gb memory (little excessive)
Cheap cyborg v.1 joystick
Saitek rudder pedals

Guy at the airport bought a similar setup but did the whole yoke and throttle with 4 screens thing. Went cheap with his graphics card and the thing runs like crap.

The simulator keeps me proficient even when I don't have time to fly. I also think it paid for itself during my private and instrument training. Private took 45 hours and instrument right at 40. When setup right it provides a great learning platform for nearly all aspects of flying.

It also keeps me away from doing real world flights to nowhere. Feel like flying? Hop on the simulator for 2 hours and save 200 bucks

I have a microcontroller communicating with X-Plane for an MCP I made (has knobs for radios, heading, course, altitude, etc).
You can "talk" to FSX and P3D as well. Not sure how much the protocol differs from X-Plane, though. I think it runs through SimConnect. (but I could be remembering wrong)
I know a friend of mine built a few gadgets (and I helped him program them) to connect to FSX to improve his simming experience. He made add-ons such as GNS530 (with display, knobs, buttons etc), marker beacon, compass, audio panel etc.

Back